It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Flat earth?" Who are these people and what is their purpose?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: leastofthese
Just to add; it is at this very point in any 'flat earth' thread that I've been involved in across the Internet, with people from all walks of life from all over the world, where the discussion suddenly stops.

Interesting isn't it. Mention the oblate spheroid theory vs the ball theory and the thread stalls.

Science shot itself in the foot. Can't backpedal now.

This thread was pretty much DOA.

But as far as your "brilliant" observation goes, it's nonsense and has been discussed here on a number of occasions.

Do you know the percentage of oblateness? Have you thought about it?
I'll give you a hint. The North-South radius of the Earth is 6,357 km. The radius at the equator is 6,378 km.

Now, take that perentage and apply it to a desktop globe. Just how good would your eyesight have to be to detect the difference. Draw that oblate circle on you computer, can you tell that it is oblate?

Can you explain what significance this has in relationship to those who claim the Earth is flat?

Oh, it's not a new thing that the Earth is not a perfect sphere. That has been known for quite a while. Glad to hear you've caught up.

edit on 6/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
1 What is on the other side of a flat earth ?
2 If you go there do you fall off or have to hang on?
3 If you fall of where do you fall down to?
4 If I dig a hole will I eventually reach the other side of the flat earth and then ... (back to the q1)

Flat earthers are conclusive proof that people can believe in a conspiracy without any need to acknowledge facts and they will continue to argue their case rather than admit they are wrong. This has profound implications for less extreme conspiracies....reader beware....

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBandit795

I actually think flat earthers is some kind of organized troll behavior in an attempt to lump real conspiracy theories together with it's nonsense and paint us all as ignorant wackos.

you nailed it... Flat Earth PsyOp designed to discredit anyone who questions global warming

The stated goal of COINTELPRO was to “expose, disrupt, misdirect, discredit, or otherwise neutralize” any individual or group deemed to be subversive or a threat to the established power structure

PSYOPS 101: The Technology of Psych Warfare

the Flat earth meme took off after Obama equated climate change deniers to members of the "Flat Earth Society

edit on 20-6-2016 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Just to add; it is at this very point in any 'flat earth' thread that I've been involved in across the Internet, with people from all walks of life from all over the world, where the discussion suddenly stops.

Interesting isn't it. Mention the oblate spheroid theory vs the ball theory and the thread stalls.

But as far as your "brilliant" observation goes, it's nonsense and has been discussed here on a number of occasions.

I'll give you a hint. The North-South radius of the Earth is 6,357 km. The radius at the equator is 6,378 km.

Now, take that perentage and apply it to a desktop globe. Just how good would your eyesight have to be to detect the difference. Draw that oblate circle on you computer, can you tell that it is oblate?

The hat you wear is too heavy to support your intellect.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So for NASA to call it pear-shaped is rather misleading as a pear looks nothing like that. Perhaps an onion would be more accurate?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: YarlanZey

Actually, the term "slightly pear shaped" is used because the southern hemisphere is a tiny bit bulgier than the northern hemisphere. Nothing you'll notice by looking at it but it makes producing accurate maps a bit tricky.
image.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 6/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AttitudeProblem
a reply to: TheBandit795

Why do you link Flat earth specifically to global warming? Wouldn't it be anything that threatens the power structure like questioning 9/11? Are Flat Earthers in particular going to be used as a patsy/scapegoat for a future event? Or is it a divide and conquer approach to make it easier to round up the people who don't accept what their governments tell them?

edit on 20/6/2016 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm not disagreeing about the shape - its whatever NASA says - but by specifically using the words "pear and shaped" when you can't actually see the difference between the hemispheres in the photos will cause problems when people are literally thinking pear-shaped - as in to describe the shape of the fruit or of a woman's body where the "hemispheres" are much more pronounced and noticeable than the earth is.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Why would people think the Earth looks like pear? There are images from space. There are maps.

The words "slightly pear shaped" are accurate.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Does that mean "mother" earth should wear a dress or slacks? So many gender topics I think she should have a choice... and from what I know pear shaped means it's difficult to find a good fitting pair of slacks.

Just having some fun glad to see you are too...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Does that mean "mother" earth should wear a dress or slacks? So many gender topics I think she should have a choice... and from what I know pear shaped means it's difficult to find a good fitting pair of slacks.

Just having some fun glad to see you are too...

It gives a different meaning to the question does my bum look big in this? (and we all know the correct answer is no)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Strange just changed my signature after my post to a joke I thought of after posting... co-incidence in my opinion how about yours?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: leastofthese

I'm not going to reply directly to you Phage,
And yet. Here you are, doing so.

Who am I to dare debate with you? No one, you win.
What debate? I gave you facts you seemed to lack.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Aircraft don't have to adjust for the curvature of the earth, they are held there by gravity with lift equalling the force of gravity so they will naturally follow the curvature of the earth.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KingPhilipsiX

Perhaps these 'flat earthers', as you put it, are just sick of being lied to about everything they're presented with?

Investigations take on a journey of their own design, steered by understanding, cognitive, critical thinking, planning, and execution thereof.

The road less traveled is littered with wasteful information, so much so, that discernment of observable data becomes increasingly difficult as truth and fiction are so often entwined.

The very words we utter are cast from spell-ing. The grip on our observable data is so tightly controlled that understanding becomes impossible due to interference.

We search, we prod, we read, we absorb, we dissect, we compare with what we 'know', we believe, we don't believe. Repeat over, and over, and over...

Those before us could not understand what they were observing, same as us now. So we attach a theory to what we are observing and attempt to explain the irrational.

We now spend our time in dispute, because the theories are just that, thoughts attached to the Unknown.

We argue over these thoughts, which are not ours by the way, and never get anywhere on any subject.

Does our understanding of things increase? No, just more theories, more 'thoughts' to argue and debate over. Blue and red, divide and conquer.

But, to the individual, they are right! They 'know'! They are 'educated'. The individual knows things, has a firm base set of programmed ideals and beliefs, and is 'free' to think for themselves. The individual simply types in some key words and PRESTO, like magic, information spits forth and either confirms or denies the operators 'understanding'.

We are all looking for answers. All searching for truth. We don't instinctively look for untruthful information, quite the opposite. We yearn for the truth, whatever 'it' is.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jinn82

Kinda weird they just sort of hang there in one spot once at altitude and adjust for drag and course since the earth revolves at about 1000 mph under them too huh?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: leastofthese

That doesn't sound so sinister just a little sad.

I just stay happy and enjoy my stay. I had a period of depression when I was convinced Satan ran the world. Then I figured out that is a bunch a b.s. and just concentrate on the light.

Have a good one.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

They are also fond of using what I believe is a Masonic drawing of a man sticking his hand outside the firmament.

Quite a bit happening in that drawing and it is cool but it was not meant for those loones. If you don't know what I mean I can get a link.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingPhilipsiX
I never gave a flat earth a second thought until it just suggested itself to me and I needed a good laugh, so I clicked.

I believe some things that are not mainstream but that is just because the mainstream is dishonest and I am forced to work around it. I have it down good and things are going fine.

But these flat earth people just piss me off. They track airplanes online and this is what seems to be their evidence. They claim the southern hemisphere in the Pacific is not tracked by GPS and that pilots never have to adjust for curvature.

And really present no feasible model for a flat earth, just a disc surrounded by ice floating like a DC universe type southern pointing semi-conical stationary pseudo-planet with an invisible dome.

I guess all the good fake conspiracies have been exhausted.

I just really want to know why? Who is doing this and why? What do they gain?

Any facts, names or theories why they are doing this would be great. Thanks!

Hint..A handful of people believe in Flat Earth, the rest are trolling. Im not sure why people who dont believe it keep bringing it up. Just ignore them

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join