It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Was Your Biggest Religious Choice?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My biggest religious decision was putting up a Xmas tree I guess.

My biggest Dumbass decision on the part of religion would be that no human language would ever be capable of grasping the concept of origin and that all doctrines, no matter what religion, are void purely because they are made up of said languages.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I think many are stuck. I do wish that the Christian believers on ATS who equally disdain the snake-oil types and the bigots would stop attacking me for pointing out their more unscrupulous fellows - and instead work with me to uphold the truth - that it is dangerous to teach little children such things....

If this is your goal, to work together, with the Christian believers on ATS, you are going to find it difficult when you promote the trivialization of their religion, and encourage, and embrace attacking it.

If John Oliver had made a mockery of Islam, would you be just as quick to promote the villainization? Would you be supporting and promoting the Mosque of the Perpetual Jihad?

I understand your hatred for Christianity and your mission to destroy it, but be careful in what you seek. Often when you remove one nuisance, a greater nuisance is left unchecked, and will not only thrive, but will become invasive and nearly impossible to control.

Not only that
The main issue is the persecution and hate complex that does exist
It gives the leaders and followers the capacity to believe that thise ridiculous and childish attacks are inspired by hate
The only way to turn this false doctrine is to teach the truth with love and compassion

Unfortunately outside of ranting and railing it's clear the truth is not available here
Not only do we have the issue of cutting of a head and watching another rise, we have the problem of a more defensive position being built

A drop of intelligence is more important a than all the rantings of all the worlds Internet heroes

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

So, then, why do you fight me? Why do you relentlessly try to dis and deny and blame me for what I am saying?

You yourself have admitted you think "religion" is corrupt. Why do you insist on projecting "hate" onto me? Why do you refuse to realize that I have no problem with genuine "Corinthian" attitudes? Why is it that every time I post you automatically react as if I'd kicked you in the groin?????

WHY?!!???

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
What Was Your Biggest Religious Choice?

Being that I was raised Roman Catholic and my wife is an Evil Joo we needed to figure out what type of ceremony we would have when we got married that would work for both families so we opted for a Celtic wedding and said 'haha' to everyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Celtic? So did we!!!! Good for you!!!!!

We are both more "Wiccan" or "Agnostic Pagan" type of thing.

My rings are a gorgeous design, a one-off arrangement....using Moissanite and sapphires..
white and yellow gold...criss-cross version....
kinda like this....

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Celtic? So did we!!!! Good for you!!!!!

Yup. Confused the hell out of everyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

You just have no idea how you flail about and attack people who actually agree with you about certain things....do you?!!!

You don't.

You just don't get it.

I am not your enemy, Raggedyman. Your incessant knee-jerk, victim-faces, put-upon responses are not doing your case any favors.

No we don't agree, that's kinda obvious
You want to be d dictator by bashing people
I would prefer a different method based on love and educating people with the truth
Not once have I seen you broach this issue on an intelectual level, not once have I seen you act within reason about how to explain how anyone can go about reeducation those who follow these wolves in sheep clothing
Not once have I seen you do anything more than rant on a internet thread

The bible says clearly, you will know them by their actions, you are just a mouth piece

We don't agree, you sound like a poor victim of the Kansas religious elites, go watch the movie footloose, a boy teaching to a townspeople that God allows dancing, not ranting and raving, educated himself and explained in a clear caring way the issue

Not your enemy, no, not my friend either.
I would not stand a christian talking to you the way you talk at christians.

You catch more flys with honey than vinegar, you are being vinegar in this circumstance

We disagree, make no bones

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I would prefer a different method based on love and educating people with the truth
Not once have I seen you broach this issue on an intelectual level, not once have I seen you act within reason about how to explain how anyone can go about reeducation those who follow these wolves in sheep clothing

Really?

wow. That's truly amazing. I ..... am speechless. It amazes me that you would suggest such a thing - with all of the 100s of sources and links, the years of posting actual factual happenings.....

it's no wonder, then...that you don't ever seem to get any further than "Nu-uhh!" in your rebuttals.

So many times I have agreed with your point - so many times I have presented a balanced view - but you refuse. You refuse to acknowledge that - let alone look at it!!!!

Wow.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

So, then, why do you fight me? Why do you relentlessly try to dis and deny and blame me for what I am saying?

You yourself have admitted you think "religion" is corrupt. Why do you insist on projecting "hate" onto me? Why do you refuse to realize that I have no problem with genuine "Corinthian" attitudes? Why is it that every time I post you automatically react as if I'd kicked you in the groin?????

WHY?!!???

Last Sunday at church the minister preached a awful sermon, against the world, against the perversions of the world and against sinners
In all it could have been done differently, done well.
I hated it because it lacked a genuine love and concern, it crossed from theology to theocracy, crossed from being a gospel message to being a militant message

I don't here a message based on love and concern for people from you, just bitterness
Like if you had a weapons drone you would use it against your enemy

Fighting people only causes them to fight back, you cause division

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Yeah, yeah - I know. I read that post that you already made explaining that.
I even responded to it.....

see, that's the thing - I actually read your posts and think about them.

You see my avatar or name and immediately scan for something/anything you can shoot down.
This particular post is a perfect example. You don't follow the conversations or debates. You just whip out your same-o same-o allegations about what others 'just want to do.'

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Really?

wow. That's truly amazing. I ..... am speechless. It amazes me that you would suggest such a thing - with all of the 100s of sources and links, the years of posting actual factual happenings.....

it's no wonder, then...that you don't ever seem to get any further than "Nu-uhh!" in your rebuttals.

So many times I have agreed with your point - so many times I have presented a balanced view - but you refuse. You refuse to acknowledge that - let alone look at it!!!!

Wow.

Wow
Sources and links
Internet warrior on ats

Do you see many people here on ats into the prosperity gospel, really
I havnt seen one

It makes me think you are just ranting at people who don't believe what you are ranting against anyway

Maybe you should go to a site that has people who support these charlatans and start your fight there

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

It is useless trying to establish any kind of dialogue with you....

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You know buzzy, I have my avatar images turned off, no prejudging a person by past conversations.
I read the post then look at who posted the comment
Your comments are always, always negative, always

I am sorry for what the church has turned you into, I accept that you have been hurt, attacked and disrespected. my issue, you now act just like them, you have become those you hate
Intolerant and militant

You know there is a parable of tares and wheat, it explains how poisonous people are in the church to destroy it from the inside
I know the church can be evil, I feel the anger you do, fighting people won't win them over, all you do is fight people

I read your posts, I reply to their comments one at a time

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

About Christian Evangelicals? Yes. Yes, they are.

I am sorry for what the church has turned you into,
It isn't I who was victimized.....they didn't "turn me into" anything.....

I fight for the countless kids who were (and are) brought up with shame and self-loathing. The way the Evangelicals treat their own children and grandchildren.

If you'd been tracking our ongoing dialogue, you would know this. You would know how I was raised, and what my background and profession is all about, and be aware of the reasons I fight for the liberation of children from the grips of toxic religion.....

I accept that you have been hurt,

I was misled as a little girl by what I heard in church.....

attacked and disrespected.

only by ATS members....

my issue, you now act just like them, you have become those you hate
Intolerant and militant

well.......

except "no."
Nope! I'm just irritated and annoyed and pissed off about how they keep up their hatred, condemnation, nastiness, litigation, preaching, and all that other crap...those crazy messed up things that they do....calling other people 'abnormal' and judging everyone around them.

If the conservative religious-right wing want to be "tolerated", they need to stop pitching fits and participating in reality-tv bullcrap. They need to turn off Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, endtimesprophecy, or whatever. They need to sit down, take some deep breaths, and listen. But no - they want to be all hysterical, attacking and spewing venom and biting and snarling ......and they want ----- Donald Trump? Are you kidding me?

Anyway - enough of derailing my thread -

you have failed miserably to hear/read/comprehend anything I have said to you over the last many moons. I know you do the same to everyone else who gets your hackles up....

so - that's just how you are.
That, I gather, is What Was Your Biggest Religious Choice.

??

Well, here's what I'm fighting against:

edit on 6/21/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: bah. no use. last attempt with this

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

You know buzzy, I have my avatar images turned off, no prejudging a person by past conversations.
I read the post then look at who posted the comment

Ahhh!!!!!
That's the problem, then!!!

You don't track people's past posts, or keep any thought of ongoing conversation. For you, it's like "Ten-second-Tom" - every post is like a total stranger saying something you, even when it's a person who has addressed you hundreds of times, have never heard before. You don't record or remember previous interactions. (That's the mark of a truly shallow and/or desperately defensive person.....btw.....)

Perhaps you might invest some time and effort into getting a tad bit better versed (or acquainted, or familiar, or knowledgeable, or aware) in what regular members here are like in general.

That's why it always seems like you are shooting from the hip and not actually reading and comprehending the conversation!! You aren't truly invested in these debates; you just come round to argue....

edit on 6/21/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

You know, that is something I've pondered over every now and again. Language, as it pertains to the scriptures.

Leaving the bigger picture you mentioned (about no language being able to really describe origins of things) aside, the translations over the millennia is something to consider.

Quick anecdotal example.... I was listening to something on the radio several years ago and a rabbi called the show and started getting into the Old Testament. Much of it went over my head (mostly because I was doing dishes and cleaning up the house so I wasn't paying all that much attention). What I do remember was him talking about language as it pertains to time. He said something to the affect that we all think that the scriptures say in THE beginning.... but the actual translation is in A beginning.... then he went on to explain that the scriptures don't claim that the earth is just a few thousand years old. He explained that THIS period on Earth is thousands of years old. I'm not saying that he was right or wrong... but your post about language sort of reminded me of that.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's tough to break the programming that religion instills, and yes it is programming.

What lessons do people teach their children isn't "programming?" Regardless of religion, we teach our son (just a few examples)...

1) Unless you are playing tag or giving a high five, you keep your hands to yourself.
2) Don't take things that don't belong to you, unless you ask permission first.
3) Be generous with your toys.
4) Don't say mean things to people because it may hurt their feelings.
5) Clean up after yourself.

All of that is programming, is it not? You (I think) are trying to use the word "programming" with a negative connotation and subsequently adhering it to people of faith. Parents program their kids. Or in other words, parents "raise" their kids.
Disclaimer: That is not to say that some parents, in my opinion, dont do a horrible job programming/raising their kids. I see it far too often at the pool or at the playground.

Even today I'll have times where I think about things through a lens of Christianity. I've gotten a lot better at identifying which aspects this is happens to, but it still exist.

Aren't there some overlapping issues where your non-Christian and Christian lenses agree? I never really agree with you on anything but I'm fairly certain you would have a moral objection to walking into a liquor store and shooting the clerk to steal some money. Wouldn't your Christian lens and non-Christian lens be in agreement?

Edit to add: My perception may be incorrect but your post seemed to indicate that any/all issues that you view threw the Christian Lens is, by default, wrong. Admittedly, again, my understanding of your post may be wrong.

And on top of that when you know people who haven't left the religion (which is the case for most ex-Christians turned atheist) and voice an opinion that is counter to their beliefs you have to deal with their condescending # because of it.

I don't know your background, where you come from or what your experiences are so I have to accept that you are speaking truthfully. I will say though, that condescension is a two way street when it comes to religious/non-religious individuals. Just look throughout this thread or this site and it is on display.

edit on 21-6-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22
I agree. When you look at how we change the way we use words, how it can completely change their meanings, it is hard to believe that anyone alive today, can be 100% sure of the accuracy in translation of any ancient book.

I know people that read the Bible from front to back, sometimes more than once, yet they give no thought to what was happening at the time that particular passage was written. They don't stop to think what the people were like during that time. What the culture or the society was like. Why things occurred the way they did. They can recite scripture after scripture but they have little or no true understanding of what it may be really saying.

If someone came across a notebook 100 years in the future that was written by a teen today, would they have any real clue about what the teen was truly saying?

Hell, I probably couldn't make sense of it, if I tried to read it today.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm just irritated and annoyed and pissed off about how they keep up their hatred, condemnation, nastiness, litigation, preaching, and all that other crap...those crazy messed up things that they do....calling other people 'abnormal' and judging everyone around them.

I am tired of all that as well, yet i hear the same argument from you against them, you are no better, just acting from the opposing view
I dont understand why you cant see that

I would expect nothing more from you than finger wagging, thats what I get because you disagree with my choices, finger wagging, really
You are a contradiction in every way

My biggest religious choice is to oppose those from all religions who condemn people, who are self motivated, who cause division in the community at large, inside my circles, real world and here
To encourage people to start by loving and forgiving each other, accepting people for what they believe.
Teaching both sides of an argument and allowing an individual to decide for themselves

Maybe less finger wagging a little less arrogance and more compassion

There is middle ground, plenty of it, just lose the attitude
The, I am better than you dumb believer, rhetoric

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I agree. When you look at how we change the way we use words, how it can completely change their meanings, it is hard to believe that anyone alive today, can be 100% sure of the accuracy in translation of any ancient book.

Absolutely true, Bible teaches us to study to show we are approved. That means work hard on learning what we read
So many Christians use the bible to justify their confirmation bias

I know people that read the Bible from front to back, sometimes more than once, yet they give no thought to what was happening at the time that particular passage was written. They don't stop to think what the people were like during that time. What the culture or the society was like. Why things occurred the way they did. They can recite scripture after scripture but they have little or no true understanding of what it may be really saying.

I met a bloke, old man who said the bible was 100% literal, I asked him why he hadnt cut off his hands and gouged his eyes out?

If someone came across a notebook 100 years in the future that was written by a teen today, would they have any real clue about what the teen was truly saying?

I have read my own notes from months ago and get confused

Hell, I probably couldn't make sense of it, if I tried to read it today.

Just reading a bible is the biggest mistake a true christian can make, it needs to be studied.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join