It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point of Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
just like the title says.

-- whats the point of it?
- why do people feel the need for it
-why would any 'god' want people to serve them, why or how would an omnipotent being have 'needs' or wants or desires if indeed perfect or eternal,
- why would any god have human traits, like wanting revenge, plotting, be sly, vicious, kill millions [presumably] via floods, diseases, etc...
-why can we analyze this yet have the same feeling about what god or a god is.
-why cant scientists disprove god once and for all? [i.e. archaeological finds or texts, or a connect between say Neanderthal man and our transition into civilization, where does that lineage extinguishes? what time frame? where would the first humans in the 'bibles' be realistically along the time of evolution?

-why would any god want to be worshiped by 'children' that sounds like something we're 'projecting' onto 'god' [ i.e. human traits personified into a deity]

please enlighten me without going into some confounded circle of 'its just how it is'.
these are logical, perhaps psychological questions.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

People don't feel the need for it, I don't know of anyone born with preset religious beliefs.

You have to have those instilled in you at a young age.

Otherwise the point is simple, control. Control over money for the most part, but also over lands. It's used to separate the shepherd from his heard.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
We learn that we are going to die. We get religion. Well, most of us anyway.

Pretty simple I thought.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

i dont think you understand the magnitude of that mindset. if you said 'fear' has a great deal to do with it, then youd start to analyze the questions in OP in a psychological manner.

how can religion be not needed if it is practiced everywhere in some form. is 'religion' conditioning or a 'need' we're born with?
how can billions be successfully conditioned, with seemingly ease. its improbable, statistically. there's no other branch of science where such numbers can or would be able to be proven on that scale.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There is no point or purpose to it, as if someone had an endgame in mind. It is likely an emergent biproduct of the species.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Did I say religion was not needed? It serves many important purposes. The one I mentioned being the most important of all.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

There's not enough electrons in my phone battery to get close to listing all of the possible "why's." I would think every single person has their own reasons for and results of whatever and however religion they partake in.

As for why an omnipotent being would want people to serve them, I believe that boils down to the god(s) not necessarily being omnipotent, even if people long ago believed him/her/them/it to be so. It doesn't take more than a cursory skimming of the Christian Bible, for example, to see that the god(s) they were writing about is clearly not omnipotent.

I also don't think any kind of missing link proves or disproves anything about dieties. At most, it proves a lack of knowledge of authors, fallibility of religious texts, or misinterpretation.

Lastly, religion, and it's effects on individuals doesn't require any of it to be "real" in terms of happenings or existences. If a belief affects a person, then it's real, even if made up of whole cloth, even if the fiction was knowingly created by the person him/herself.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Because in all the universe(s), humans are "special".

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

What is the point of religion?

There are many religions and one answer wouldn't fit the 'point' for each and every one. In addition there are many different reasons one might pursue a religious education. I for one don't find a particular religion necessary, but I think for many if not most religion is a search for the truth and the answer to the questions of who we are and why are we here?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Depends on what religion you examine.

Just because some religion believe they are the correct one does not make it so.

-why would any 'god' want people to serve them, why or how would an omnipotent being have 'needs' or wants or desires if indeed perfect or eternal, - why would any god have human traits, like wanting revenge, plotting, be sly, vicious, kill millions [presumably] via floods, diseases, etc...

Good questions. For me some of them kind of shows the dissonance between some religions description of divine beings and how narcissistic people act. I do believe in the mirror where if you do not fix a wrong you created you will experience the mirror backlash of that action but it is not something I can say I have proof of.

-why can we analyze this yet have the same feeling about what god or a god is.

Because more people believe in religion instead of experiencing the spiritual nature. Fear of loosing faith when replaced by awareness and understanding. Just look at how afraid some religions are of third eye abilities, Reiki and increased body awareness.

Science could one day know the spiritual world and map it if they wanted. Just read the Quantum state of a body in real time and test how different states are described. Use multiple people to objectify the measuring.

Even today people are playing around with out of body experience with TUS - Transcranial Ultrasound.

www.quantumconsciousness.org...
edit on 20-6-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Fear of the unknown and religion claims to have all the answers.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Because in all the universe(s), humans are "special".

. Lol.

My response to this is

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

It satisfies a societal need for leadership and organization and control.
edit on 6/20/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
thank to all above for the answers. im really appreciative.
im also glad this is still very civil and not a religious war, i have no beef with religion or its followers; just questions.

its good to see the perspectives on the "why's" of religion as a concept.

therefore, can we conclude it is in fact man made?. all of it. in an effort fill a void, which would otherwise has something else in it. its purely coincidental that that yearning in humans species, all humans; i dont care if you claim to be atheist, you have similar yearnings as say the pope or devout religious people[its all the same chemicals, physiologically. that yearning manifests itself via religion.

i asked the questions to a friend of mine. and he was very quick to answer with something which also makes a lot of sense. "its an inferiority complex", "man dont like the idea of not knowing; science or religion, thus they create answers and believe them , otherwise they would 'not know' ."
edit on 20-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ultimately?

To CONTROL large populations of people.

Originally it started as a way to explain things. People made up STORIES to explain the world.

We went from MANY gods to ONE god...

Can you not see the direction we are going...?

Religion may have started innocently ENOUGH....but...it became perverted by ambitions men...power hungry men who want control of your mind, body, and whatever ELSE.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It exists because people are mortal and the human condition is complex.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Very good answer... operational word, "NEEDING", and yet not "WANTING"....like desperate children knowing they need discipline and realizing they choose their own punishment.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

It satisfies a societal need for leadership and organization and control.

i cant agree nor disagree, but its interesting.

do you think this 'need' is some sort of lingering evolutionary trait, it seems like we are almost born with some sort of spirituality, or close to it. i think if a social experiment was conducted, where maybe 1000 newborns were looked after on a remote island somehow raised with no outside interference or interjection [no language either], this said supposed society would eventually have an equivalent to religion as we know it today. its almost fundamental, they would have a 'god-like' entity to help attribute the things they couldnt explain, even more so than we do now.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Control!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Jesus walked the earth and preached Christianity as a way to steer people to the truth, light, what he called "GOD". I don't think he intended it to become a religion but more to help people with spirituality.

Today people have misinterpreted Christianity to be a religion and "God" to be a judgmental face in the sky. Mean people have caught onto this and have used it to control the masses.

So to answer your question, in my opinion, there is NO point in religion. Actually, I think it is quite dangerous to put your faith out there into a non-entity instead of within yourself. Its the opposite of what Jesus wanted

top topics

<<   2 >>

join