It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

highly shape-adaptive, stretchable design based on conductive liquid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TerryDon79

Very likely, but what about places where win turbines aren't feasible? A wind sock (or many) would take a lot less maintenance than a turbine.
How long does this wonderful new material last? How does it stand up to the elements? How does it endure UV radiation?
No idea. I only read about it last night.

It's not something I can see being useful tommorow, but certainly some time in the future, if (big if) it's cost effective for the amount of energy produced.
I'm afraid it's more of a gimmick than a practical anything. Unless you want to give your phone battery a little boost while on a stroll.
That's one of the things I did mention lol. Yes, it might only be small possibilities at the moment, but who knows where it could possibly lead? It might lead nowhere. It might lead to a major breakthrough with personal energy generators. I'm not saying it will, but I like the idea, that's all

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
Who knows.
Self winding watches were a thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Unless you want to give your phone battery a little boost while on a stroll.

Funnily enough many people would happily pay for this ....

personally i would like a hamster wheel for my son with some sort of alternator, perhaps the deal could be he can watch tv as long as he can generate his own power...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Exactly. Who knows?
Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation and wishful thinking though

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's a thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

That's brilliant....that is what i would call reality tv

I reckon i could get my 6 year old down to 10 minutes a day screen time with one of those suckers, and my tv is 60 inch so the little fellah will have to do some serious peddling ...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

My bet is he'd give TV up entirely.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

My bet is he'd give TV up entirely.

That is what i am hoping for

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Excuse me as I have not had my morning coffee, but could this material be applied say, in the walls of a skyscraper? Since they are designed to naturally sway I could see this material being used to add to the rigidness of the structure while possibly cutting down on a tiny percentage of the steel and other materials normally used to keep the structure rigid. While creating a small amount of power to feed into the building itself.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Very cool stuff!

Wonder how long it will be until the guys at Tesla have it in tires. Not only the surface contact but the constant centrifugal forces should supply a pretty strong supply. If a single bracelet on a human wrist can light 80 diodes, just imagine what 4 tires in multiple layers.

Hell, I want a trampoline so my kids can power my house. Even sleeping in our beds could be converted, our sidewalks, the rubber mats under our chairs at our desk. This could literally be the thing that springs us to freedom from Oil for Energy.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

It is already in race cars. It is called KERS (kinetic energy recovery system) and they use it for short energy bursts. See them in F1 all the time. The other day, somebody hooked one up to a graphene capacitor for semi trucks somewhere in Europe to better fuel consumption by providing acceleration through one (less gas usage).

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So who's laughing now, skinny people? With a pair of these jeans, i figure the average Americans thighs could produce at least a terrawatt with each trip to the mcdonalds.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join