It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landmark Study Shows Nature Kills PTSD in Combat Veterans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Natural Blaze

13 June 2016

By Claire Bernish

www.naturalblaze.com...

Post-traumatic stress disorder wreaks havoc on war veterans, survivors of various forms of abuse, accident or disaster witnesses and victims, and many more — but the pharmaceuticals dispensed for treatment can worsen the problem.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, and Paxil, comprise the most frequently prescribed class of antidepressants — but bear the burden of responsibility for an epidemic of suicide in the U.S. One of the most telling and tragic potential side effects caused by SSRIs: suicide.
. . .
Researchers gathered “two dozen UC Berkeley student veterans whose psychological and physiological response to the awesomeness of big nature is being studied,” Berkeley News reported, during and after participating in whitewater rafting. Combat veteran of two tours in Afghanistan, Jet Garner, took part in a rafting trip down the North Fork American River with fellow vets last summer, and noted remarkably positive results:
. . .
But researchers found the benefits didn’t end with the trip, as just one week after rafting, veterans “reported a 30 percent decrease in PTSD symptoms,” as well as better relations with friends and family. Berkeley doctoral student in psychology, Craig Anderson, heads the study which began in 2014, tracking participants through journals, surveys, and GoPro cameras provided for each trip.
. . .

I'm NOT so thrilled with the substances the rest of the article gets into. So I won't even get into all that. I understand both sides to a large degree. And I'm willing to live and let live.
I do have a philosophical problem with using almost any substance to anesthetize away the challenges of living on a day to day basis.
IN terms of the outdoor recreational stuff--I think that's FANTASTIC and quite plausible.
I just don't know how easy it would be to increase the usage on the part of a large number of vets. I certainly think it is worth doing.
And, river-running is a favorite activity of mine. I'm going to talk to a Marine friend about this option.
I wonder if any ATSers have had contacts with loved ones who have benefited similarly from camping and other outdoors activities in terms of greatly reducing PTSD problems?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
That JAH fire!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
You don't have to go whitewater rafting, that is expensive. Buy a fishing license and go fishing on the bank of a secluded stream or sit by the lake and fish. Or just go for a walk on a wooded trail and observe the animals.

I suppose if you get attacked by a bear when out in the woods it might make your ptsd worse. Even worse than that is going out in the woods without bug dope. You will begin to feel things on your skin biting you.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Amazing...that's me....a huge nature explorer.

yes, I do believe it's huge for a remedy, my whole life is centered on this. And right now i'm designing a country cottage that lets nature in....I've always been a Frank Loyd Wright type designer....how to bring outdoors into the residence in any way possible

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I exercise 4-5 days a week, home gym and running. My runs are 2 miles 4-5 days a week early 6am. Great way to start the day and clear the mind since these runs are in an area with plenty of trees and wildlife. Treadmill running would not cut it. I don't suffer from PTSD even though I probably should having spent over a year recovering form an IED but I have always exercised and I think that is a major factor on why it never took hold. All I could think about in the hospital is getting back to exercise. People I know with PTSD seem to struggle with channeling their energy on something positive, something they can do daily with real goals. Never going to forget the bad stuff but having something positive to focus on, take ones mind off of it daily I believe would be a huge benefit. Getting outdoors is great but I think it has to be goal oriented, learning something or improving on something.

CX

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I have suffered from combat related PTSD for many years, had all kinds of treatments, some of which were better for coping strategies than others.

I found that a big help has always been finding a hobby that requires focus and concentration. Enjoyment obviously comes into it too, so i can see where nature would benefit. For me the guitar has been a huge help with taking my mind off things, especially when learning and you have to give it 100% focus.

Maybe it's like those with Tourettes who don't suffer from the symptoms whilst doing certain activities?

Living in the forest here in the UK though, i know that nothing quite beats a walk through the wods and streams when the day isn't going too well.

Thanks for this post, a good reminder of the things that work and the things that don't.

CX.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I do have a philosophical problem with using almost any substance to anesthetize away the challenges of living on a day to day basis.

It is not living so much as surviving and controlling the anger.

When you have lived with it for a while, come back and we can chat.

P

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Makes sense . Always been more comfortable out in the boonies away from people . Far less problems from my p.t.s.d from the army when am in the boonies or tending my garden .

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Several decades ago, one of my closest, most discerning spiritual friends told me I was the angriest person she knew. I was shocked as I didn't think I was very angry very often about much of anything. But she was right.

Thankfully, I learned to deal with it.

One either learns to do something active about the source of the anger

and/or

to let it go.

Or, one learns to make of it a kind of idol to be worshiped and fondled endlessly in a destructive spiral down.

Substances only distract . . . and usually complicate any chance of healing, true resolution and overcoming.

There are a lot of good sources for help with anger on the net. And there's an ANGER WORKBOOK, of I think that title.

I don't recall if there's a YOUTUBE TED TALK video on it, or not. Likely there is. They are usually worth it.

Justifying it and holding onto it like a teddy bear is . . . dysfunctional and stupid. That's like keeping a pet cobra or rattlesnake or super poisonous scorpion variety in a breast pocket.

Anger is like an extremely seductive mistress with every horrible STD you can imagine . . . at their most infectious stages.

Anger is like a cancer that lurks within . . . growing constantly . . . lurking . . . and periodically pouncing in ways that are more devastating and only add to the destructive fuel eating one alive from within.

In any case, sorry for your fierce anger. I hope you overcome it and work it through, regardless.

edit on 20/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I know that this will sound crazy to non-believers, but many of us UFO abductees suffer or have suffered from PTSD. That is not so crazy as it sounds. PTSD can affect anybody whenever the normal situation/systems have been disrupted, changed or eliminated to some extent.
My peace comes from meandering around my rural 2 acres, investigating nature at my leisure. I notice wonderful things happening and have a renewed acceptance of all things and an understanding of the universe and my place in it just a little better.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I know that this will sound crazy to non-believers, but many of us UFO abductees suffer or have suffered from PTSD. That is not so crazy as it sounds. PTSD can affect anybody whenever the normal situation/systems have been disrupted, changed or eliminated to some extent.
My peace comes from meandering around my rural 2 acres, investigating nature at my leisure. I notice wonderful things happening and have a renewed acceptance of all things and an understanding of the universe and my place in it just a little better.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED ON ALL COUNTS.

BTW, you might profit from checking out

Guy Malone:

www.AlienResistance.org...

Congrats on your constructive dealing with the UFO experience fostered PTSD.

top topics

join