It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian media personality in hot water over comments made on radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Australian media personality, AFL club Collingwood president Eddie McGuire made controversial comments on radio in relation to sports journalist Caroline Wilson last week.

Social Media Reacts To Eddie McGuire Drowning 'Joke'

Collingwood chief Eddie McGuire has been taken to task on social media for controversial comments he made about sports journalist Caroline Wilson on radio.

McGuire's comments were reportedly aired on the Triple M radio station last week and have been brought to light by journalist Erin Riley.

In the recording, McGuire appears to quip about drowning Wilson, a Fairfax Media journalist.

"In fact I reckon we should start the campaign for a one-person slide next year. Caroline Wilson. And I'll put in ten grand straight away, make it twenty. And if she stays under, fifty. What do you reckon guys?" McGuire says at one point.

Laughter is heard throughout the recording suggesting that those involved considered the comments funny.

While the comments are said to have been aired on Monday, they were minimally reported at the time.

McGuire has been sought for comment via Collingwood Football Club.

The comments have surfaced on the same weekend as the AFL held a White Ribbon fixture aimed at raising awareness of domestic violence and violence against women.

The concerning aspect about this fiasco is not the actual comments made (after all, if his "target" had been a male journalist this would not have made the news and the comments would have been accepted as humour). Neither is the highly exaggerated, albeit expected, SJW response. It's not even the ever-shrinking freedom permitted to speak without fear of offending somebody. No, the most concerning aspect of this story is the way in which it transformed from one individual's comments towards another being misconstrued and (more importantly politicised) to further an agenda.

It's really not hard to see for those with their eyes open.

More links on the story:
- It’s time for Eddie McGuire to go
- Eddie McGuire in hot water over Caroline Wilson ice pool gibe
- The question Eddie needs to be asked
- Eddie McGuire joked about drowning a woman on Triple M radio

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

The problem is, Eddie McGuire has a history of making very sexist or racist remarks. This is not the first time he has said something stupid, that has offended a large portion of the community.

Ever since he became a big part of the Media/Sports landscape, he's always been known as a bias, crass, sexist pig.

People outside of Victoria cannot stand the games he commentates.
People who work with him often complain of his sexist and rude manner.

People can put up with these things as personality flaws, sure.. but when Eddie is asked to front the camera's and apologies he always words it carefully so he never takes the blame or admits he was wrong.

People have been removed from media positions for much less, much quicker.

At a time when Australia was struggling with its racism issues and the aboriginal invasion/settling question was being raised.. he referred to a dark colored man as a gorilla.

Now, at a time when Australia is pushing a ''no violence towards women'' campaign and the whole just of it is ''it starts with respect''... Eddie comments that they should hold down a women (another TV personality who can polarize people) underwater and drown her.

Stupidity or not, Eddie has to go!
edit on 19/6/16 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

He's a Collingwood supporter, have you seen and heard the caliber of Collingwood supporters? They're like a cross between a blow fly, a Hillary supporter and a migraine.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Your reply is a good example of the misconstruing and politicising of comments I was referring to in the opening post. I don't believe you have done this intentionally, but your views demonstrate the extent of the programming some people have been conditioned by.

It might not be the first time McGuire has said something stupid, but can you provide evidence that he has said "very sexist or racist" remarks in the past? Biased for sure, "crass and sexist pig" are big claims that require quotes to substantiate, or strong widespread anecdotal evidence — not just one off anecdotes from disgruntled former employees of his, eg. Jessica Rowe.

At a time when Australia was struggling with its racism issues and the aboriginal invasion/settling question was being raised.. he referred to a dark colored man as a gorilla.

If you are referring to the whole Adam Goodes fiasco, where McGuire said he should present the King King musical, then you are very much misconstruing the situation to suggest he called him a gorilla. If you are talking about another example I have overlooked, then please provide some evidence.

Now, at a time when Australia is pushing a ''no violence towards women'' campaign and the whole just of it is ''it starts with respect''... Eddie comments that they should hold down a women (another TV personality who can polarize people) underwater and drown her.

Another grand misconstruing of his comments. It's no secret McGuire was angry with Wilson's criticism of his signing of Nathan Buckley as coach. That was the fire that promoted the comment, not the fact that she is a woman. If he had used any male journalist's name instead, it would have been considered a lame joke at worst.

An individual made negative comments that were directed at another person. If it had been a female journalist making the comments, or McGuire had targeted a male journalist, there would be no up-roar to speak of.

Think about that. Why is this happening?

edit on 20/6/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
A friend explained racism and sexism to me today, they said

'' it doesn't matter how you feel when you say it, it matters how people feel when they hear it ''

Eddie said (after a major racism incident between Goodes and a fan) that Goodes should be ''down for it'' when referring to playing King Kong in a Musical. Goodes and many other aboriginals took that as a racist remark - and rightly so!

Women have come out condemning McGuire's comments on holding down a women under water to drown her. It does not matter how people want to defend Eddie or how Eddie wants to defend himself. Women took offense to it and rightly so.

There is a very real atmosphere of abuse towards women in Australian culture that the government and media are putting front and center to STOP it. One of the key ads on TV is all about ''attitudes towards women starts at home''. This is exactly what they are referring to.

Then there is the time Eddie referred to Victorian Sports Minister John Eren as a

“soccer loving Turkish born Mussie.
Again, it doesn't matter how funny Eddie believes he is, others felt it a racist attack.

Then we have Eddie lying about saying

' when are we going to bone her ''
regarding a female employee. Even though others who heard it signed affidavits saying he did indeed say that with a smirk.

Then there's the comments he made about homosexual athletes when someone commended them for trying hard and giving their all...

McGuire's response: "They don't leave anything in the closet either."

Again, just because Eddie defends it as a joke, those who he referred to took offense to it.

Its not just those incidents that people dont like him for.

He is unprofessionally biased in his commentating of sport. As a commentator you need to be unbiased and call it like it is. Being president of a sporting club he doesn't just ignore this rule.. he demands it be red carded!

edit on 20/6/16 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Maybe if he gets the sack or resigns over these misconstrued comments (which I doubt) he could get a job flipping burgers like most collingwood supports maybe - - - ohh! did I say something wrong.

Stupid thing is the comments have been taken to the level of violence towards his opposite gender. I wonder what his wife thinks. Perhaps she should comment, nah, but then she'd get labelled

No way out aye. Just keep the trap shut, else someone will find a way to criticize even a dumb joke. The lady should take it as a compliment due to her investigative reporting.

Then again, should something surface about her previous journalistic comments towards the AFL, particularly the players, I'm sure they'll dig it up.

I don't follow Eddie personally, Oh my goodness, did I just say that, but he has sponsored and donated considerable sums to various charities and needy organisations but to me it appears his good work is lost because he made a joke that persons of certain permutations took offence. Bad luck Eddie, you're not the first or the last to be a casualty but I'm sure you'll surface, take a deep breath and go under again.

Kind regards,

Bally

P.S. Edit - I tried for the life of me but I could see any reference in Eddie's comments to drowning. Just staying under for an extra 40 grand to be donated.
edit on 20-6-2016 by bally001 because: Added comment

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
A friend explained racism and sexism to me today, they said

'' it doesn't matter how you feel when you say it, it matters how people feel when they hear it ''

Hmm, does this extend to cases where women make comments directed at men? Or are men not capable of experiencing sexism due to having a pair of testicles?

Eddie said (after a major racism incident between Goodes and a fan) that Goodes should be ''down for it'' when referring to playing King Kong in a Musical. Goodes and many other aboriginals took that as a racist remark - and rightly so!

Where did he imply that Goodes should play King Kong? I was under the impression he suggested Goodes should be an ambassador for the musical as a sign of the publicity his story generated. Ironically, McGuire was actually suggesting for a way for Goodes to benefit financially from the whole incident but unsurprisingly his words were misconstrued to suggest something he didn't mean.

Women have come out condemning McGuire's comments on holding down a women under water to drown her. It does not matter how people want to defend Eddie or how Eddie wants to defend himself. Women took offense to it and rightly so.

Not all women are SJWs, though. The vast majority of people making complaints are feminists or SJWs. So their responses are unsurprising.

There is a very real atmosphere of abuse towards women in Australian culture that the government and media are putting front and center to STOP it. One of the key ads on TV is all about ''attitudes towards women starts at home''. This is exactly what they are referring to.

If you check a recent ABC fact check article from earlier his year, you will find that the approximate number of women who experience domestic violence is about 1 in 4 (25%). And domestic violence can include non-physical behaviours such as screaming at or emotional abuse. If this is kept in mind, is there really a "cultural" problem in relation to this issue? Or is the more likely explanation that there are bad people out there who treat others badly?

Then there is the time Eddie referred to Victorian Sports Minister John Eren as a

“soccer loving Turkish born Mussie.
Again, it doesn't matter how funny Eddie believes he is, others felt it a racist attack.

"Mussie" meaning Muslim? Muslims are adherents of a religion, not a race. Therefore, that his comments were misconstrued as racist is very telling of those who found it offensive.

Then we have Eddie lying about saying

' when are we going to bone her ''
regarding a female employee. Even though others who heard it signed affidavits saying he did indeed say that with a smirk.

Jessica Rowe was disgruntled at being fired. Understandably so, but her words alone are not proof that McGuire is sexist.

Then there's the comments he made about homosexual athletes when someone commended them for trying hard and giving their all...

McGuire's response: "They don't leave anything in the closet either."

I'm not here to defend McGuire. The man has said stupid things and I don't believe he should be excused just because of his prominent standing in the media. This does not mean though there is truth to suggestions he is racist, sexist and homophobic.

Again, just because Eddie defends it as a joke, those who he referred to took offense to it.

This type of thinking can be a slippery slope as I mentioned before.

Its not just those incidents that people dont like him for.

Whether people like him as a person or not is not the issue at hand here. We are discussing whether he is sexist, racist and homophobic.

He is unprofessionally biased in his commentating of sport. As a commentator you need to be unbiased and call it like it is. Being president of a sporting club he doesn't just ignore this rule.. he demands it be red carded!

Finally something we can agree on.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Whether people like him as a person or not is not the issue at hand here. We are discussing whether he is sexist, racist and homophobic.

Yep, no doubt. He sexist, racist douche.. and judging from the outrage on the internet and people in the streets we all agree.. its time for Eddie 'everywhere' To go!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

People love to see the rich and famous fall — especially white males in positions of power and influence. Progress and all.

It is time for McGuire to go where exactly? Jail?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

To go anywhere he likes as long as he's not on TV anymore insulting people, races, sexes...

its not that hard to understand and others have been removed from media positions for less...

how many times do the people need to demand apologies from him until he's kicked out?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

It is curious that this "story" took so long to surface. I guess at the time people didn't care. Wilson sitting in the commentary box next to Eddy's joke about almost the same exact thing with her colleagues. I am not saying that he was appropriate in what he said but there does seem to clearly be an agenda.

In Australia ATM there is a lot of talk surrounding attitudes towards women and even a govement comericial demonizing boys and males.

edit on 20-6-2016 by ms898 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

An individual made negative comments that were directed at another person. If it had been a female journalist making the comments, or McGuire had targeted a male journalist, there would be no up-roar to speak of.

This is very pertinent - Its pretty obvious that there seems to be a "tall poppy syndrome" attached to McGuire.
I had a bit of a read of some of Wilson's writings and she does seem to hype up facts somewhat, she's a critic as most sports writers are. She is doing her job and likewise she should stand the heat when she gets a lashing back. She is in the industry where egos and money is big. When a sports writer plays with the bog boys there is always "hurt".

www.theage.com.au...

McLachlan's response has been criticised on social media as a "missed opportunity" to condemn violence against women.

So instead of just apologizing and moving on - he has to use the AFL pulpit to go further and condemn....

Ok so if it was a man it would look like this "Eddie McGuires remarks could be seen as supporting violent attitudes, we condemn McGuire joking about drowning a male writer critical of his team....." How's that sound. Would a male writer even care? But its a woman and therefore they have special needs....
edit on 20-6-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: spell

edit on 20-6-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: spell

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It's clear now that you are speaking from a personal dislike of McGuire and not looking at the situation objectively.

You feel that the dislike you harbour towards him is justification enough to have him deprived of his career. You have still failed to demonstrate that he is racist, sexist or homophobic. This seems to be pretty common among those screaming the loudest about his latest transgression.

a reply to: ms898

Yes, there is clearly an agenda at play here. I am utterly amazed that so many people are oblivious to the fact that something is going on. And you don't need to be well-researched to realise this. All you need to do is look at events objectively. Analyse the context surrounding the events and the behaviour of the media.

top topics

join