It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another DDoS attack?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
I'm transgruntled. And proud of it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That there is intent is, of course, likely. But by nature and necessity, a DDOS attack comes from many places. The majority of which are unaware that they are doing it. It's done via "infected" machines. No way to identify the perp.

So, a computer with a virus can cause trouble on a site?
Just wondering if I should do more regular checkups on my firewall.
Coincidentally, during the ddos attack, I couldn't figure out if it was a problem on my end of connection or my tablet and I ran a checkup for viruses... the check up was 100% good.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Sorry. I read that wrong.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

So, a computer with a virus can cause trouble on a site?

Not really. But hundreds of them can. The infection lies in wait, hiding on machines all over the planet, waiting for a command and a target. When triggered all hell breaks loose on the target site.

edit on 6/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage Thanks for the answer.
I hate the attacks and can barely grasp why or how they happen.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
Why;
1) Spite
2) Someone paying someone to express their own spite.

How;
Covered.

The (sort of) good news, is that it can also be used against the bad guys. If you're into the ends justifying the means.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

How badly dissed would someone's gruntle need to be to pay $100s on this game??

Well why the site was down i googled a few different "themes" and added ats and you get some fairly significant anti ats stuff, plenty of disgruntled members all going back to 2002....i would say that looking at how many long term members that have become disillusioned and the thousands of accusations that this site is a controlled opposition site ...i would think it fairly likely......

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

a reply to: Atsbhct
By definition, DDOS attacks come from "everywhere."
That's the first "D", distributed.

Thar ya go agin . . . being specific and accurate.

Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I hear that's better than being

transconstipated.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I wish I could star this post...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Huge attack again. Monstrous. It's still happening as I type.

We needed to upgrade our DDoS mitigation level ($$$) in order to combat this one.

It must have been something extraordinary, I was typing a reply in a thread, and suddenly ATS just disappeared as if I was offline, except that I wasn't, I was left with a page on jet engine particulates problems that was still open, but on hold.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Fair warning: I am so using this term.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
OK my ideas: I am just a peon so feel free to strike them down....

1. OK, Let's do some crazy math.

Let's just use the posters who have over 1000 post (Although we know that we have A LOT of posters under 1000 that are active)

OK 3539 people with over 1000, let's say only 50% are still here. That gives us 1769 posters. If you charge $5 (I agree totally reasonable) then you get $8847 a month!!!!!

2. We could do a group song like "We are the World" And change it to fit ATS. Then have everyone send in a video of them singing it. splice it all together and go viral, youtube gold (which means ad money).....and ATS members get to have fun with a project.

3. What if have a ATS youtube page? It could be something that videos have to be approved but users can submit. Again, this gives the users another outlet. I think Youtube is still very successfully for ad content.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Jess I like numbers one and Three.

Using Number two, (no pun intended) might be a problem if hundreds are submitted,
and only so many could go into the video, there would be whiners,
and those making a big deal if they were not chosen? Just a thought.

EDIT: However, with some clever editing, hundreds of different people could be used!
Using only a word or two from each put together in the right way might be really cool!!

edit on 23-6-2016 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Love your ideas. I would pay for sure.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

Let's just use the posters who have over 1000 post (Although we know that we have A LOT of posters under 1000 that are active)
OK 3539 people with over 1000, let's say only 50% are still here. That gives us 1769 posters. If you charge $5 (I agree totally reasonable) then you get $8847 a month!!!!!

This idea is my favorite! That would generate income monthly instead of the 'donation' which is (likely) a one time big sum and then the well runs dry until another request is made.
Also, for the donations, I think someone has mentioned this before, it would be nice to see a graph of some sort letting us know where we are in the process and where we need to get to.
Like the 'go fund me' pages, etc.

I think people may be more apt to give if they see progress being made!

Just my $.02

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

And a valid 2 cents it is, Me thinks.
I would also like to see a graph or bar showing the progress being made, as the pot grows...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

2. We could do a group song like "We are the World" And change it to fit ATS. Then have everyone send in a video of them singing it. splice it all together and go viral, youtube gold (which means ad money).....and ATS members get to have fun with a project.

3. What if have a ATS youtube page? It could be something that videos have to be approved but users can submit. Again, this gives the users another outlet. I think Youtube is still very successfully for ad content.

👍👍👍👍👍👍
Holy Cow.... I thought the same, and sent a Top Moderator the same idea almost.
I figured 5.99 per month based upon the average 250 logged in.
Also advise of a CAPTCHA verification in the ATS Signup page.

Of course strictly volunteer only for a monthly direct donation. As I do understand some long time members deserve to be here free. As they brought quality to this site. Which is why I joined. .......... PHAGE😊

edit on 23-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
Great minds think alike

I would gladly pay before I see ATS disappear

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow, how quickly everyone forgets the last "crisis" thread. A lot of sound budgeting & money-raising ideas were put forth there, but I don't think any have been put into action. I doubt any will. Sorry for being pessimistic (or realistic?)

#1 will simply come off as extorting active members for posting. Big fat, non-supportive no from me there. I strongly dislike the idea of money-gating posting like that under any circumstance purely because it really is borderline extortion. It'll just end up driving off a lot of posters & you'll still get crickets & curtains eventually.

#2, I highly doubt that would work. I wouldn't even watch that.

#3 already exists. With less than 2,000 subs and 230-some-odd-thousand total views since '07, I'm not sure how that's going to be their windfall today. To be honest, considering the video view counts per video, this would be an "extra" of the brand I'd heavily consider getting rid of to cut costs.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join