It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another DDoS attack?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Not complaining really!

But damn! The shipping's expensive.

Okay Okay, I know I said 'whatever' it takes!

GEEZ!

(suck it up buttercup!)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: StargateSG7

It looks like a fun project, I'd be willing to build out an 8 nic server to test out it's DDOS protection capacities, but honestly I don't think your assumption is correct that the attacks usually come from the same networks. IP is pretty well segregated and on the open market for grabs by any provider. I could easily get IP in different ranges on small vps and write some simple scripts to cause some damage, but it's just too easy and I think quite petty. Not my style.

I'll look into the links, it would be pretty cool to build a white box firewall appliance for a fraction of the cost.

Actually one of our engineers went one better and used MULTIPLE Dlink and Linksys routers
he obtained from GoodWill/Value Village and he took out the router motherboards from their
cases and put them into wooden box and built himself a firewall appliance using OPEN SOURCE
firmware updates for the router hardware. Works good but it looks ugly!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Keep throwing ideas out tech guys! I don't understand a word of it, but hopefully the owners do and might try something that has been suggested.

Is there life after ATS?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

That's depressing...is there any hope at all?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Is there life after ATS?

Don't panic, my dear...at least not yet anyway. As others have said; a website of this size, with this many followers, will not just simply vanish one day. It may morph into something people don't like and they leave (or not), but it won't just vanish. If there were 75 members and a couple hundred posts that would be a different story, but this is not the case here.

Whenever there's system outage in the IT world there's an old joke in the network business, it goes..."it's NOT the network!!" It applies across all disciplines really. And, with all due respect to owners and staff, whenever times get tough there's an element of denial as to the true problem. It's not a criticism, but rather more a fact of life.

As several have suggested here on this thread; when serious problems arise a good "brainstorming" session is needed. However, it's critically important not to let criticism and hindsight enter into these discussions other than for the purposes of identifying the problems and finding solutions. When the days get darkest, people get the most honest. Sometimes you have to go there to find the true solutions, but often they are the last solutions to be found (after all the low hanging fruit produce no wine).

If I thought it would make a difference I would pledge money via the donation box atop each page. Unfortunately the problems are larger than that. What would I give...easily $2-300 dollars, maybe even $1,000, but it would mean nothing in the scheme of things, and even then it would only be a Band-Aid to the symptom. It would serve nothing to cure the disease (despite what anyone may say). In six months we'd be right back in the same place. True solutions come out of three (3) words...Positive Mental Attitude (PMA). And I believe the owners of this site have just that.

The hard part is, getting to the place where your mind, body and soul understands what is required to survive, thrive even, under extreme circumstances.

ATS will survive. Why? Because the alternative is worse; it's not "lights out", but rather a morphing into something which runs against the very gain of the foundations of ATS and the people who made it...and THAT is truly untenable.

PMA!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I hope you're right about ATS surviving. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Wow. Are there links to that someplace?
Why did I never know this?
And are these official, as in ATS gets the profits?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
a reply to: Springer

That's depressing...is there any hope at all?

Don't worry...I know tons of Vulture Caps who would
PROBABLY sweep in and take over ATS in a heartbeat
if it goes hooters-up (i.e. bankrupt) and some of these
Vulture Caps are absolute gung-ho types who would
BE ABLE to expand the audience. They'd probably
call me in for some consulting and since I've been here
for a few years I think I know how I can cater to BOTH the
long-time users and the newer Art Bell/Coast-to-Coast types
to help grow the userbase worldwide.

We shall see....

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
We could do a group song like "We are the World" And change it to fit ATS. Then have everyone send in a video of them singing it. splice it all together and go viral, youtube gold (which means ad money).....and ATS members get to have fun with a project.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Wow. Are there links to that someplace?
Why did I never know this?
And are these official, as in ATS gets the profits?

Yes it is official ATS merchandise.
There should be an easy to see clicky thing.

I used search to find it.

It has been here for years but I understood that it generated very little profit. 😏
edit on 22-6-2016 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

Honestly I'm not sure you truly know what you're talking about in some of these posts. The last one sounds a bit like a pfsense build, which is easy enough, but there's no dlink routers that have the capacity to challenge a firewall appliance with specifically engineered coprocessors.

I'll definitely give some of this a go at some point, but it looks like a bit of a time waster and I've not got much of that to spare.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
C:WindowsSystem32>ping www.abovetopsecret.com

Pinging www.abovetopsecret.com [72.20.54.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.20.54.104: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 72.20.54.104: bytes=32 time=216ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 72.20.54.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 86ms, Maximum = 216ms, Average = 151ms

Seems like it is on again.... supreme idiots out there...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Huge attack again. Monstrous. It's still happening as I type.

We needed to upgrade our DDoS mitigation level ($$$) in order to combat this one.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
I thought something was going on. I couldn't connect at all. Good luck, man.

ETA: I just saw your comment on another thread about it. I was shocked to see it wasn't censored. I can't imagine how frustrated you are right now. You're right, it is getting old. People need to grow the hell up and stop being assholes.
edit on 23-6-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

really slow and timing out tonight so came back to this thread..I figured there was another attack

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: Atsbhct

really slow and timing out tonight so came back to this thread..I figured there was another attack

It's getting quite annoying.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

And expensive.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Will ATS ever choose a different route towards monetization? Would that even mitigate attacks like this?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Will ATS ever choose a different route towards monetization? Would that even mitigate attacks like this?

I wish I was trusted to look at the financials, or at least know a budget. Anyone know what the CIA pays for this site? Lol

Seriously though, I have a GSLB'd distributed access design that would work well at a fairly low cost.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join