It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitational Waves detected for the 2nd time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Agree with everything, the youtube video I posted talks exactly about LIGO's lab and how they discovered gravitational waves. "a mere fraction of an atomic diameter"

If guessing if a gravitational wave has no noticeable effect on spacetime then spacetime is much more powerful than gravity?

However I'm wondering if a gravitational wave passing through Earth caused a mere fraction of a diameter of spacetime to squeeze and stretch? How long does it take for the wave to pass completely through our planet? What happens in spacetime at an atomic level? How do atoms react to gravitational waves?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

If guessing if a gravitational wave has no noticeable effect on spacetime then spacetime is much more powerful than gravity?
It does have a noticeable effect. That effect is what was measured. Spacetime is not "powerful." It is affected by tiny amounts of matter and energy.

However I'm wondering if a gravitational wave passing through Earth caused a mere fraction of a diameter of spacetime to squeeze and stretch? How long does it take for the wave to pass completely through our planet? What happens in spacetime at an atomic level? How do atoms react to gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves travel at the speed of light.
The space within the atom (an atom is mostly space) changes shape as the wave passes.

edit on 6/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

This 3D visualisation is not that great either. It is not showing the bending of time.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: wildespace

This 3D visualisation is not that great either. It is not showing the bending of time.

The bending? Gravity slows the time down. The video isn't aiming to visualise that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join