It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Casually Tours Orlando Shooter’s Apartment Only 24 Hrs After Shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The video shows multiple news outlets entering the home of Omar Mateen only 24 hours after the attack. Doors and windows were left unlocked and what strikes me is the lack of yellow crime scene tape surrounding the area. Reporters entered the house and were able to freely walk around, touch and even take with them anything they wanted.

Video of the “crime scene” shows what appears to be a preliminary search of the killer's home, leaving many areas of the house looking rather untouched which I also find strange. There was no securing of the property and no indicators that it was even a crime scene. How investigators were able to conduct a proper investigation in less than 24 hours after the shooting is beyond me.

Last April, a house in St. Lucia that Mateen had a share of, was transferred to his older sister and brother-in-law for pocket change, indicating that his family may had been aware of his plans. Wouldn't you question why anyone would just give it away?

The quitclaim deed transferred his interest in the Port St. Lucie house to his sister, Sabrina Abasin, and his brother-in-law, Mustafa Abasin, for just $10. The transfer, first reported by journalist Paul Sperry, was signed in April. Investigators said Mateen had been living in a different home in Fort Pierce.

Source

St. Lucie County Public Records: Link

The video shows the apartment Mateen had been living in at the time of the incident. Unless I missed it, why isn't the house in St. Lucie being considered part of the investigation? Why after only 24 hours is Mateen's apartment accessible to the media? Why no yellow tape?

edit on 19-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

What about the would-be shooter at the same time out in Santa Monica who was caught or allegedly called the cops to turn himself in, saying he knew/had been trained with the Mateen guy out at an FBI/CIA on the East Coast and now knew that he was being set up. He said that Mateen had been in a group of 4-5 guys for the "drill". Evidently, the FBI then took over the investigation on the west coast and the story changed to just one

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This isn't the first time.

They did the same thing in San Bernadino.
edit on 19-6-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Regarding San Bernardino,

Some questioned how agents could have finished searching the townhouse, as part of what the FBI is describing as a "federal terrorism investigation," in just 24 hours. At one point, as CNN aired live video of the apartment, the network's analyst, Harry Houck, said he had "chills down my spine" that reporters were handling potential evidence.

It looks like these guys are just awesome at their jobs. When dealing with crimes of this nature, 24 hours is all that is needed to complete the investigation. Here was the FBI's response,

In response to Reuters, Laura Eimiller, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Los Angeles, said it was not a "crime scene" and that it was irresponsible for news organizations to suggest the agency had not taken enough time to search the townhouse. At 24 hours, the search was actually longer than the typical property search, she said.

Link

I guess I just can't understand how a proper investigation can be completed in so little time. I'm not part of the FBI, so I'll just keep my trap shut and hope they know what they're doing.

Who am I to question?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Just like San Bernardino...

According to the Palm Beach Post, per the police, the apartment was broken into Monday morning:

The public got a look into the Fort Pierce home of Mateen, the mastermind of the worst mass killing in the nation’s history, because of a break-in on Monday morning, according to Fort Pierce police.

Federal law officials had searched the apartment and left the scene by Sunday night. When reporters arrived early Monday morning, the back door was open. A few international reporters entered the apartment. Palm Beach Post staff members were on the scene but did not enter the premises.

FBI agents cleared and secured the home about 5 a.m. Monday. Media gathered at the scene notified officers that the back door was open, Fort Pierce police spokesman Ed Cunningham said.

Fort Pierce police officers and Police Chief Diane Hobley-Burney arrived to find that someone had broken in through the apartment’s back door, Cunningham said.

He said there was damage to the back door, but he did not specify whether there was damage inside the apartment. It was not clear if anything was taken, he said.

ETA: A look into the home of Orlando mass murderer Omar Mateen

If the Feds were done at 5 and the media showed up first thing in the morning, that sure wasn't much time for a break-in...

But assuming this was deliberate -- both in San Bernardino and here -- why? Who? What would be the purpose?
edit on 19-6-2016 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2016 by Boadicea because: Changed "sunday night" to "monday morning" -- d'oh!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I guess I just can't understand how a proper investigation can be completed in so little time. I'm not part of the FBI, so I'll just keep my trap shut and hope they know what they're doing.

As your link mentioned, it's not an actual crime scene to investigate that would be tainted by being not cordoned off. After a search, anything in that house or apartment they needed (computers, books, notebooks, clothes, etc), I'm sure they boxed up and hauled off to further analyze and investigate. 24 hours is enough time to get everything they needed.

Had there been evidence of explosives making, though (like James Homes), or blood or a body or something, it might be a bit different.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Seriously? They did the same thing in San Bernadino. And the evidence was all still there. The guys IDs and everything the media was just grabbing. This is such a joke. Boxed up and sent away anything important my ass.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I don't now about you, but it doesn't look like they did a thorough job. These two screenshots from the video made me question why everything wasn't pulled off the shelves and searched through.

Yeah, lets not check for hidden weapons or documents linking him to other crimes or possible acquaintances. And if the FBI did search through it, they were kind enough to put in neatly back on the shelf.

edit on 19-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I posted the same video in 2 other threads, but it deserves a thread of its own.

I am no CSI expert. But even for a layman it seems obvious there should be a thorough investigatin into the apartment.

Check for dna traces/ fingerprints to find out who was in this apartment other then the shooter and his family.

Then every single item in the apartment should be checked for traces of explosives.

and normally, all the crime scenes i ve seen so far after the investigation had these markers (don t know how they are called). The markers they use when photographing items.

(maybe that does not apply here, since it s not the crime scene? i don t know).

As well we see the closet in the apartment looks untouched, all clothing still there. O would expect someone would look behind these clothes. normally they don't take clothing out and neatly fold them back again.

The whole story screams: we don t even care anymore.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear from a CSI expert what the standard of operation is.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Just like the CA incident.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Just like San Bernardino...

According to the Palm Beach Post, per the police, the apartment was broken into Monday morning:

The public got a look into the Fort Pierce home of Mateen, the mastermind of the worst mass killing in the nation’s history, because of a break-in on Monday morning, according to Fort Pierce police.

Federal law officials had searched the apartment and left the scene by Sunday night. When reporters arrived early Monday morning, the back door was open. A few international reporters entered the apartment. Palm Beach Post staff members were on the scene but did not enter the premises.

FBI agents cleared and secured the home about 5 a.m. Monday. Media gathered at the scene notified officers that the back door was open, Fort Pierce police spokesman Ed Cunningham said.

Fort Pierce police officers and Police Chief Diane Hobley-Burney arrived to find that someone had broken in through the apartment’s back door, Cunningham said.

He said there was damage to the back door, but he did not specify whether there was damage inside the apartment. It was not clear if anything was taken, he said.

ETA: A look into the home of Orlando mass murderer Omar Mateen

If the Feds were done at 5 and the media showed up first thing in the morning, that sure wasn't much time for a break-in...

But assuming this was deliberate -- both in San Bernardino and here -- why? Who? What would be the purpose?

I'd say something was hidden, could in walls, under the floor, vents, behind receptacles, etc. Of course the FBI are going to say they got everything and are insulted lol, they're in on it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Ooooh... yes! Didn't think of that... My only thought was that his partners in crime might have broken in to retrieve incriminating evidence.

I have to agree with the others that it doesn't seem a very thorough investigation. Nothing should have been left in place...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Your Palm Beach Post article calls Omar the "mastermind".

There is only proof that he was an executor.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

I caught that too!!! And I agree...

But it struck me as odd because it indicates he had people working with/for him! That he's the brains of the outfit... not a "lone wolf." Maybe not necessarily I suppose, nor would it be the first time a journalist misused a word. But it still strikes me as an odd reference.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

very good point! And good eye for detail!

a little bit of humour: Maybe he identifies as a "one man wolf pack" like Zach Gaflianakis (spelling?) in the "Hangover" movie :-)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
First, it's not a crime scene. Even if it should have been locked up, at 4:58 in that video, the Daily Mail article is stamped Friday June 17.

I think they added onto the same article as it went on.

An expired firearm carry license? Shows little. A photo of it as a footnote would be enough. Having a current one or an expired one would not really effect the case.
edit on 19-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

In the op is this "Investigators said Mateen had been living in a different home in Fort Pierce." So Mateen would have lived in a different home than the one shown?

edit on 19-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: neo96

Regarding San Bernardino,

Some questioned how agents could have finished searching the townhouse, as part of what the FBI is describing as a "federal terrorism investigation," in just 24 hours. At one point, as CNN aired live video of the apartment, the network's analyst, Harry Houck, said he had "chills down my spine" that reporters were handling potential evidence.

It looks like these guys are just awesome at their jobs. When dealing with crimes of this nature, 24 hours is all that is needed to complete the investigation. Here was the FBI's response,

In response to Reuters, Laura Eimiller, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Los Angeles, said it was not a "crime scene" and that it was irresponsible for news organizations to suggest the agency had not taken enough time to search the townhouse. At 24 hours, the search was actually longer than the typical property search, she said.

Link

Who am I to question?

Well it's obviously a problem, seems they are checking out suspected activity with the same disregard to attention to detail as their criminal investigations. Appears par for the course for the FBI. No wonder they miss so much. I have to say, it seems like they just don't give a damn and are doing the minimalist to get by and collect their paychecks.
edit on 19-6-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

a little bit of humour: Maybe he identifies as a "one man wolf pack" like Zach Gaflianakis (spelling?) in the "Hangover" movie :-)

Haha! Thanks -- I needed that

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I can't say I've been following any of this (or the others)- but from the looks of it, his "home" was staged and presented to the public.

I read on another thread that this kid was in touch with the FBI- if true I'd say they set the whole thing up to further their agenda.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Expired Firearm license....check...Islamic pamphlet....check....Thomas the Train toy....check!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join