It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jaco pastorius

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
any fans?
in my opinion he is hands down the greatest bass player music has ever seen. i mean easily, no contest.

dude was ridiculous. if you have not heard of him please check him out.

les claypool is my favorite player but i think jaco is bar far the best. claypools stuff hits with something in me a different way jacos stuff does.
i have never heard anyone play like him. if youre a fan of natural harmonics then you should really check him out.
i dont think we will ever see another person do the things on bass that jaco could do.

i can think of lots of bass players that i would call fantastic. lots of virtuosos out there.
in the end though.....jaco was the man

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yep! "BIRDLAND" Live w/ Weather Report. A fantastic fave.

Died in an alley(?)...a tragic death....amazing musician
edit on 19-6-2016 by mysterioustranger because: an add

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
As a Bass Player I have to agree with you, he was phenomenal.

Although my current favourite is Pino Palladino, great session Bassist and he has played on some great tunes.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Hey Tiny? Can you please embed BIRDLAND-Youtube!? If so, thanx!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

not in an alley.
he got tuned up by some bouncer in a club after jumping on stage at a santana concert and died a few days later.
very troubled guy. bi polar. sleeping in parks.

have to wonder though if that was part of his genius. like if he was not bi polar would he have accomplished what he did in the time he did?
i always think about that stuff.

i have been obsessed with him the past few weeks. you could tell he was about family and music and thats it. he always looked like he was damn near dressed in rags. just didnt care about his look.

i am always amazed when people like him get so good so fast. it is just a natural thing for certain people.
i dont think he even piked up the bass till he was about 14-15. by the time he was 20 he was already at the highest levels. was teaching at the university of miami. had an understanding of music and theory that only a few have had in my opinion.

there are people that practice a given instrument their entire lives and get damn good at it but just never crack that threshold.
he is the opposite. in 5 years he write/arrange/play anything.
how does this happen?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hey Tiny? Can you please embed BIRDLAND-Youtube!? If so, thanx!

and a portrait of tracy

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

He was a great bass player. It is sad he died at 35! Great thread!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yes, always liked him. Enjoyed his work with Weather Report and Joni Mitchell.

Bit of a tragic ending.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Cool thread. Jaco is the bass players Jimi Hendrix.

A true artist.

In case no one has mentioned it, the new documentary movie "Jaco" made by Mr. Trujillo (Metallicas current bass player) has recently arrived on Netflix.. Haven't seen it yet but I understand it was a pet project of his and is suppose to be very good..

I love me some claypool as well but he's honestly just standing on Jacos shoulders... Good thing Jaco came along to raise the bar..

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Cool thread. Jaco is the bass players Jimi Hendrix.

A true artist.

In case no one has mentioned it, the new documentary movie "Jaco" made by Mr. Trujillo (Metallicas current bass player) has recently arrived on Netflix.. Haven't seen it yet but I understand it was a pet project of his and is suppose to be very good..

I love me some claypool as well but he's honestly just standing on Jacos shoulders... Good thing Jaco came along to raise the bar..

that documentary is great. agreed on that.
how do you mean les is standing on his shoulders?

i think les is a fantastic player and has made huge contributions to music in general and especially to the world of bass playing.
i do think jaco is a better player but les is my favorite. i like his whole vibe. his style of playing. what he plays. all of it.
jaco was in another realm though.

his theory went so deep. i dont know how he learned and retained it all in such a short amount of time.

jaco reminds me of joe pass in that respect.
how cool would it have been for jow pass and jaco to jam together?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I mean no disrespect to claypool, Just that it seems like without Jaco to basically redefine how the bass was played I would be surprised if les would have the style he has today... or maybe he would I don't know.

Jaco was on the "11" setting when everyone just thought it could only go up to "10" ... Thanks to him the ceiling was lifted, so to speak so guys like Les could reach it..

Or something.
Edit to add that Les is great for more than just his bass skills, like you mentioned his entire flavor and weirdness is something special and his playing style just happens to match it...
I will say tho that after hearing the Lennon claypool delirium project I do hope les starts changing things up a bit... Claypool ice cream with special guests sprinkles is great but after a while it will just be claypool ice cream ... Delicious yet predictable... Never thought id say that about Claypool.

edit on 19-6-2016 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

good post.
lennon/claypool were about 40 miles away from me night before last but they were at a major trip out venue and i didnt want to deal with that.
i like to turn on but when im at a concert i want to get lost in the music. not there to deal with anything else

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!!

This is my happy song. I'll post a few titles later. Got a 20,000 title collection...and some other ones of Jaco's escapes me at the moment.

Thanks again!

edit on 19-6-2016 by mysterioustranger because: durn phone!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I first heard him on Joni Mitchell's 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter'. wow. best part of the album.

I heard his father was an alcoholic and his childhood was messed up and he swore he'd never drink, but he got talked into it later before a performance ('it'll loosen you up'), and after that he was doomed.

seems like artistic talent goes with unstable people, and I don't mean that as an insult.

'Cotton Avenue':
www.youtube.com...
edit on 19-6-2016 by ElGoobero because: add link

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
One of my fav Jaco performances with Joni Mitchell

and with Weather Report

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

He was amazing on Joni Mitchell's album! Here is how he died, a sad story!

After sneaking onstage at a Carlos Santana concert on September 11, 1987 and being ejected from the premises, Pastorius made his way to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manors, Florida.[23] After reportedly kicking in a glass door, having been refused entrance to the club, he was engaged in a violent confrontation with the club bouncer, Luc Havan.[24] Pastorius was hospitalized for multiple facial fractures and injuries to his right eye and left arm and fell into a coma.[25]

Initially, there were encouraging signs that he would come out of the coma and recover, but they soon faded. A massive brain hemorrhage a few days later led to brain death. Pastorius died on September 21, 1987, aged 35, at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale and was buried at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Cemetery in North Lauderdale.[26]

Source
en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6 19 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

S+F just for the thread topic.

Love the guy!

Jeff Beck's bassist is a bad @ss too!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Jeff Beck's bassist does rock, nice one!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

S+F just for the thread topic.

Love the guy!

Jeff Beck's bassist is a bad @ss too!

he changes it up.
i liked tal wikinfeld

new topics

top topics

join