It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA to Reschedule Cannabis to Schedule 2 on August 1st

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I got this from my Facebook news feed. Apparently, the DEA is going to reschedule cannabis to schedule 2.

According to the Santa Monica Observer, on August 1st the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) will reschedule cannabis from a schedule 1 controlled substance, to a schedule 2 controlled substance, allowing it to be used and researched for medical purposes.

According to the Observer, a DEA attorney who wishes to remain anonymous made it clear that the agency, on August 1st, plans to remove cannabis as a schedule 1 drug – which indicates that it has no known medical value – and place it as a schedule 2 drug, allowing it to be used for medical purposes (other schedule 2 drugs include coc aine and Oxycontin).

“Whatever the law may be in California, Arizona or Utah or any other State, because of Federal preemption this will have the effect of making THC products legal with a prescription, in all 50 states,” the attorney told the Observer.

DEA to Reschedule Cannabis to Schedule 2

This also allows the cannabis to be researched for medical purposes, and apparently also legalizes the use of hemp for industrial purposes. What are the differences between schedule I and schedule II controlled substances?

Schedule I Controlled Substances Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.

Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances (2/2N) Substances in this schedule have a high potential for abuse which may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.

Drug Classifications

Marijuana hardly belongs as a schedule 1 substance, because they are classified as the most dangerous of all substances, and also have no medical use.
edit on 18pmSat, 18 Jun 2016 23:42:37 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
That was Soooo Cool.
Whatever.. I'm a Paramedic or Nurse. That plant never caused in issue.

It needs a schedule 5 or 6 at best😊

ETA... I don't smoke it. But I've been there. Once or 3 times. Im a cancer survivor.

My doctor is looking In to it now. I'm in Pennsylvania. 😊
edit on 18-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Well, it shouldn't even be a 2. But it's a step in the right direction anyway so I suppose we shouldn't complain.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yeah, I agree it shouldn't even be a schedule 2... cigarretes and alcohol aren't controlled substances, they are regulated. It should be the same for cannabis.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Good news!

At least they are going the right direction for themselves to prosper.
The only severe depency is to our cash.

Make sure they prop themselves up for the green gold.

It sure would be nice to pay your mortage off in 2 months, get out of slave labor, and enjoy your life before you are allowed off when your senile.
Probably one of the last sources of big wealth in this stripped country.

F no debt slaves. Big bro is getting it first.

I am just glad to pay taxes to be parented like a child.

Sick of getting legislated to death.

Meanwhile, I can't get a job with a mj record from 10 years ago.

Sorry for the rant, this topic makes me rage bad

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

It's about time... Colorado being overrun with the influx of people.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Hm, timing suspicious.

Not long before the general election and the government gives the people a gimme.

I said something like this a while back that this would come through just in tie to hide something else they didn't want us paying attention to.

But then maybe I'm just a little too jaded and cynical...

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

If I won lotto I'd fly around the planet spraying weedseedtrails everywhere until the whole world looked like a big fat weed jungle.

Its the most awesome of all plants.

Ever.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
jadedANDcynical

A GIMMIE? Perhaps, however, as a person that had championed the Marijuana Law Reform cause years ago, I like to at least believe that all of my campaigning, petitioning and protesting had something to do with this. It's nice to believe you've made a difference in something you truly believe in. But... maybe it is a gimmie and all those years of proactive campaigning had no purpose... knowing our government though...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

It's nice to believe you've made a difference in something you truly believe in.

Yes it is. I agree 100%!

knowing our government though...

My point...

They've known for years that it is not detrimental to the degree schedule 1 substances are. Hell they even have a patent on it being medically useful for goodness' sake!

I tell you, this is timed.

Nothing happens in government on accident or without multiple purposes being advanced.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I live in WA where it's legal.

There has been a huge upswing in violent crime and burglary.

Oh wait, no, nothing really has changed except we aren't wasting tons of money on combating the "problem" and are getting a ton of tax revenue from the sales. That and I decided to give it a go one more time and it still freaks me out.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
You can get over that.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have neighbors growing it all around here. It stinks. Across the street, down the street, around the block. It smells like a skunk got hit and never got cleaned up

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

This is something that is long overdue.

I believe the decriminalization of Marijuana is something most of us can see as a step in the right direction. While I don't personally use this substance I know people that do and they really aren't hardened criminals that need a felony on their record. Heck, anyone that has been around high people realizes they are less dangerous than drunks.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Does the DEA have the authority to do this?

Doesn't Congress and or/The President have to be involved at some point?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Hemp fabric industry will explode.

-Hemp oil.
-Hemp methanol.
-Hemp biodiesel.
-Hemp fabrics.
-Hemp paper.
-Hemp derived plastics.
-Hemp as a depollutant(it's an effective plant to leech pollutants out of soil)

www.leafscience.com...

We can trade it internationally and increase the GDP.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
From what I read a move to schedule two will be harmful to can ivis business owners in medical states because suddenly the rigorous standards of the fda.

www.merryjane.com...

A step on the right direction though

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Great step forward.....My loved one is battling Cancer, and there is NO doubt in my mind a combo of oil and smoke are helping, especially on his chemo weeks.....it's interesting talking to his oncologist who has very matter of factually told him that "he sees many benefits to his patience's that use it, however he is not allowed to prescribe it as it may affect his license" ..but he charts his use, and seems to give his blessing to supplement his treatment with Cannabis and Nutrition.....so far his Cancer has receded and we are off tomorrow for a 3 day road trip !

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I wish. It get's me pretty fast, and it's a bad panic attack for awhile. I mean BAD, every time, for about 2 hours.

I can't deal with the time thing. I feel like I fell off the planet or start melting into the couch and I hate it. Walking down a hallway and having it take 10 minutes in a few seconds freaks me out. And my perception goes all wonky, so I take a step, take another but I only feel like I've taken one but I'm two steps farther.

My experiences have all been terrifying, except one. I worked at a gas station when I was 15-18 and the mechanic and assistants smoked all day. I went back and tried it, and inhaled a tiny bit for the first time (faked it before with friends) and it was blissful sitting at the register and listening to music for a few hours. Every other time I've felt disoriented, depersonalized, panicked (not worried about being caught, but panic attack for no rhyme or reason). Camping with friends I tried it again and wound up in my buddies truck for 3 hours trying to fight off the terrible feeling I had.

I don't think it's for me. I wish it was, I'd like to have something other than alcohol to mellow me out.

If you've got an idea other than trying a different strain or smoking less (I get weird after a puff or two) share. I've got more pot shops than pawn shops and I'm not far from 99.

<<   2  3 >>

join