It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jackfruit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
So our local HEB had a conversation piece on sale for about $1.10/lb:

I couldn't help but notice them, sitting in the corner looking big, green, bumpy, and ugly as all hell. I had to go investigate, wondering if the lunatics at HEB had ordered a durian fruit. As I get closer I can see how much the gnats are enjoying them, and can smell a bit of a sour fruit smell coming from the pile of monstrosities.

So i picked up one that was moderately sized, plopped down my $35 for it, and took it home.

I am familiar with jackfruit due to having read about them while researching Juicy Fruit gum (yeah, i research odd things....but when I have a question that needs answering.....). Jackfruit is "the" flavor in Juicy Fruit gum that makes it somewhat unique. Actually, now its a synthetic flavor. But jackfruit is what was part of his original formula. When you taste it, you can taste a hint of that juicy fruit flavor. But it also has a rather distinct passionfruit flavor as well.

Getting it opened up to try, however....its one of the stickiest things I've ever touched. I split the fruit, and started pulling the little pods out. They are surrounded by this plant material that has this thick, extremely sticky, gum material in it. The knife was caked with the stuff. I tried alcohol to no avail. Deciding that if it wasn't water soluable, or alcohol soluble, i'd try oil. So i grabbed a handful of butter and started scrubbing my hands. That did the trick. I only pulled out half the pods, though. I threw the other half of the fruit away (neither neighbor wanted it, and looked at it like i had brought roadkill to their door).

It was an interesting experience. I'd show you pictures, but when I say that stuff was sticky...i had it stringing between my hands and fingers.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The dried chips are easier and tasty enough. LOL.

Frozen durian is not so bad as the smelly fresh.

You may know it's illegal for folks to carry Durian on trains, busses etc. in Taiwan.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

$35 each!! I live in the Philippines, and I have two Jackfruit trees in my backyard. I used to have a third massive tree but a typhoon knocked it down
I now believe that i am getting ripped off from the fruit dealer lady who come to harvest them. For she only pays me the equivalent of 4-5 dollars US for a dozen of them. She has a 12 year old kid that sprints up the tree barefoot with a bolo(machete) in hand chopping them off. Also I won't even bother trying to cut one open to eat it because of the sticky goo and they are not that tasty for me to bother. Have fun when you accidentally step on one that rotted off and fell to the ground...a real mess. BTW banana plants also have a sticky goo very similar to the jackfruit.

peace

ETA, I also have a small Durian fruit tree, but only about 4-5 fruits annually. Those things stink.
edit on 6/18/2016 by jappee because: Durian

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jappee

That is kinda what i said. I mean, i like fruit. And love trying things that are different. But that kind of cash....

the upside is that my sister split the cost with me.
So it could have been worse. I think the cost is in lugging those heavy fruits to the US and getting them through customs.

Ill tell you the one fruit that I haven't had in a long time that I've wanted badly: star fruit. Its been about 25 years, give or take. It has to be one of my favorites. I love the mango, peach, and watermelon a lot. But star fruit is just one of those things i've never gotten off my mind since way back then.

Fruit is something that I just love love love. I think im gonna get a nice watermelon for tomorrow. The Pecos crops are just coming in, and I bet they are good this year.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It sounds interesting but I could do without the mess. The way you described it, it sounds gross.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

There's one way star fruit is prepared that I really loved but I can't recall how it was done. I don't know if it was fried in honey or what.

Usually, it's a bit bland, for me.

I love all kinds of fruit, too. That's one of the things I miss most about Taiwan.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

fried in honey....that got my attention!!!

Im a fan of texture. The way it feels on the tooth. Thats my addiction with watermelon....just that ethereal crunch...it feels so good to bite into.

I liked that about star fruit. No seeds or anything. It was like a big, slightly less flavorful, seedless grape that had notches cut out of the sides.

Grapes...man I love grapes. LOL...im gonna stop now.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Agreed. I like the fruit crunch, too.

The star fruit . . . fried in honey may have had a touch of anise as well. I don't recall, for sure.

I like the bell shaped wax apples for crunch and flavor.

And Smith's has recently carried some personal sized watermelons about 6" or so in diameter. Good flavor and texture--if ripe.

Sadly, my false teeth require decidedly riper, softer fruit these days. LOL.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

well....its pecos cantaloupe and watermelon season!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

well....its pecos cantaloupe and watermelon season!!!

I just bought a Candew melon today, and it smells heavenly. Im growing at leadt 6 types of melons this year, but none have fruit yet. My favorite melon of all is the Ambrosia. It is absolutely wonderful

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
We eat young / unripe jackfruit in curries especially an Indonesian dish called Lodeh. So so yum. Enak sekali.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Since they are eaten, there must be some way to process them that isn't so inconvenient. Has no one put a method up on the internet yet?

I know we love pomegranates, and after a few times of painstakingly picking all the seeds out of the rind, that's the route my husband finally took. And we realized we'd been doing it all wrong!

So maybe there are some tricks to know about jackfruit too.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

there might be. i bet some latex gloves would help. Maybe peel it instead of cutting through it.

I love pomegranate, too.
We have a bit one next to the horse pen (that isn't used).

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I grew Ambrosia a few years and they go from just right to mush very quickly. I don't know if it has to do with the sugar content, but I had about 20 on 2 plants and once they got ripe, we ate 4 and within a couple of days, the others looked bruised and were very mushy.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It wasn't fried, cooked thru . . . more like . . . seared on the outside a bit, IIRC. It was still mostly raw.

An by fried in honey--I meant coated in honey before searing. IIRC.

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

fried in honey....that got my attention!!!

Im a fan of texture. The way it feels on the tooth. Thats my addiction with watermelon....just that ethereal crunch...it feels so good to bite into.

I liked that about star fruit. No seeds or anything. It was like a big, slightly less flavorful, seedless grape that had notches cut out of the sides.

Grapes...man I love grapes. LOL...im gonna stop now.

edit on 19/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: adde

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

thats what i imagined: carmelized with honey.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Come to think of it....I haven't seen any starfruit in a long time either

You can keep your jackfruit.....LOL

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yummy and nutritious.

new topics

top topics

join