It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Zaphod: Powering Down After Take Off

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have heard it said that if pilots keep take off power for too long after take off, that extra maintenance must be done after the flight
Is there any truth to this?
What kind of maintenance does this entail or is it just inspections to make sure the increased duration did not cause stress to the engine parts?

Here is a You tube video of them powering down the Trents after take off

Not entirely related to the thread but aviation related
My favorite airport to land in FSX with an MD80

It is or was, one of the most dangerous airports to land at, next to Lukla in the Himalayas
It is a tough approach in the mountains with a short runway on top of that

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm interested in Zaphods answer too.

Semi related but my absolute favourite thing on take off is the two thrust setting thing they do . First at half power for a few seconds then boom..Full throttle. I have no idea why I like this so much, but i REALLY do. I think i just like the sound of the engines in general.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I think it's probably just that the plane is in the air and doesn't require as much thrust anymore ad it does to get it airborne from rest .

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
I'm interested in Zaphods answer too.

Semi related but my absolute favourite thing on take off is the two thrust setting thing they do . First at half power for a few seconds then boom..Full throttle. I have no idea why I like this so much, but i REALLY do. I think i just like the sound of the engines in general.

I remember taking off from Orlando years ago with a half full plane
I don't know if was the because there was less weight, the type of plane which I can't remember or an over zealous pilot, but I was thrown back in my seat from the acceleration.

I was in the Navy as well and served onboard an Aircraft Carrier in the CATS and down in the Engine Room. When we were overseas and I had leave time, I took the COD off the deck to the closest airbase and I guess nothing in the civilian world could ever top that. The sound of the shuttle on the deck and plane reaching the end of the carrier sounded like a shotgun just before you took off. Was it the shuttle hitting the end of its travel?
edit on 18-6-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
The idea is to get to V2 as soon as feasible. Once airborne with the drag of gear on tarmac gone less thrust is required. With gear and flaps retracted, there is less drag so less thrust is required. It's about fuel usage more than anything.

edit on 6/18/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The idea is to get to V2 as soon as feasible. Once airborne with the drag of gear on tarmac gone less thrust is required. With gear and flaps retracted, there is less drag so less thrust is required. It's about fuel usage more than anything.

I understand all that where less thrust is required once V2 is reached and airborne but I have heard that not powering them down would require extra maintenance

I am curious what kind of maintenance that entails anyways in general
I mean, is most aviation maintenance inspections anyways, lubing parts etc?

I have heard that the amount of maintenance needed for x amount of flight hours is crazy high
Again is that actually replacing parts or inspections?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Yeah. I figured that's what it was. Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001
There are specific requirements for commercial (and other) aircraft inspections and maintenance. Takeoff practices don't really affect them.
www.aviation-safety-bureau.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

My scariest landing was on Catalina. The downwind end of the runway is a cliff so there is a nasty downer when the wind is blowing. I was sitting in the right seat. If the pilot hadn't hit the throttles I would have.

Scariest takeoff is another story.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

a reply to: jacobe001
There are specific requirements for commercial (and other) aircraft inspections and maintenance. Takeoff practices don't really affect them.
www.aviation-safety-bureau.com...

Thanks for the link Phage
I forgot about the A-B-C-D Checks they do
So it really is irrelevant then

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

My scariest landing was on Catalina. The downwind end of the runway is a cliff so there is a nasty downer when the wind is blowing. I was sitting in the right seat. If the pilot hadn't hit the throttles I would have.

Scariest takeoff is another story.

Sounds like Fun...or perhaps not

No real life experience here, but using a real weather in program in FSX, I flew from Kathmandu to LUKLA in a twin otter under stormy conditions, which they never do in real life.... Suffice to say, I had a gust of wind push me up just as I was about to land, and with no go around possible on that strip, I met the mountain side

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I would say this landing in Bhutan matches Lukla for hair raising capabilities. Maybe more so since its a larger jet rather than the prop planes that use Lukla.

Supposedly only a few pilots are qualified to land there.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I would say this landing in Bhutan matches Lukla for hair raising capabilities. Maybe more so since its a larger jet rather than the prop planes that use Lukla.

m.youtube.com...

Yep
That is one of my favorites followed by Lukla
That bank at the end to line up with the runway, level off, watch your speed and altitude requires some skill and experience

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I was in a DC3 going to San Jose (Baja). On the way we landed at a horrifyingly short strip with a mountain on one end and the ocean on the other. I can't recall the name of the place.

I started reading my book. Really intensely. At some point you have to realize you just don't have any say in the matter and hope the PIC has done it a hundred (or six) times before.

edit on 6/18/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I was in a DC3 going to San Jose (Baja). On the way we landed at a horrifyingly short strip with a mountain on one end and the ocean on the other. I can't recall the name of the place.

I started reading my book. Really intensely. At some point you have to realize you just don't have any say in the matter and hope the PIC has done it a hundred (or six) times before.

Yea, a lot of trust or...not placed in the PICs
When I was in the military, some of the shuttles between the carrier and base drove like madmen
I swear they were not doing 15 knots down the taxiway...

I am currently flying from EGLL London Heathrow to Kathmandu via FSX on the PMDG 747 on another PC and now the previous poster has got me interested in refueling and going a bit further to Bhutan

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

m.youtube.com...

Yep
That is one of my favorites followed by Lukla
That bank at the end to line up with the runway, level off, watch your speed and altitude requires some skill and experience

That last bank is nuts. Reminds me of the old kai tak landings in Hong Kong

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

When I was in the military, some of the shuttles between the carrier and base drove like madmen

I am currently flying from EGLL London Heathrow to Kathmandu via FSX on the PMDG 747 on another PC and now the previous poster has got me interested in refueling and going a bit further to Bhutan

Do play real time?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Noise abatement. They are at full power to take off, then they throttle down for noise abatement procedures, then they increase power to climb settings, which is less than full power, once they're cleared to climb.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Do play real time?

I play on www.vatsim.net... occasionally where you have real people doing ATC plus pilots, I have seen up to 400 on at a time. But I also do a lot of solo flying because I can do things that are not allowed and provide a challenge

Setting visibility to 10 feet and landing only on your ILS and Altitude in an old MD80 is fun

I always am questioned why I don't get my own private license since I can afford it
My response is always, I don't want to fly a simple Cessna 170 or 172, I want to fly a 747, an MD80, a C17 Globemaster, an SR71 Blackbird or an Antonov AN72

Not going to happen

But I can do it, minus the G effects and real world mishaps I guess

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Noise abatement. They are at full power to take off, then they throttle down for noise abatement procedures, then they increase power to climb settings, which is less than full power, once they're cleared to climb.

How long has that been in effect?
I remember when I was younger, (1980's) I lived close to an airport and the take offs would rattle our house
Going back years later and to other airports, the pollution and noise seems to be less

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join