It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Institute Radio Frequency Interference Receiver #51

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OK, someone has a sense of humor.

I found this device just off Groom Lake Road, here: 37.389928°, -115.480176°
I was driving up and down GLR, I thought if I use a directional antenna and a scanner scanning the correct frequencies, I might find an infamous Area 51 road sensor. Then I saw this. And it puzzled me - enough that I went back 3 times to look at it - then I stole it. Then returned it after satisfying my curiosity.

Has what looks like "antenna's" and a jar screwed on the top.

Looks interesting, it even has a couple of non-functional LED's, and a TEST button!

As it turns out, it's just a emergency lighting box, with the power cord jammed up the bottom of this thing.

Whoever made this "device" gets an A- for effort.
If they had added a solar panel, lithium battery and a couple of working LED's, it would have gotten an A+.

FYI - I reinstalled it where I found it. If it's there next year, I might do an upgrade on it.

edit on 18-6-2016 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Cute… "# 51" as in Area 51.

Is there a light bulb in the inverted mayonnaise jar?

edit on 18-6-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
great thread, I swear...luv it

naw, you just made sure it wasn't abandoned....hey langely....the op misstated the facts....jus borrowed it

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Cute… "# 51" as in Area 51.

Is there a light bulb in the inverted mayonnaise jar?

Nope, but I thought a flashing LED in there would be perfect.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

The road sensors are found at intersections. That is how they tell the direction of travel on which roads. I suspect the roads near Bald Mountain would be good hunting territory.

I suggest not touching the sensors, but finding them should be legal. You do take the risk that the base lies that you stole a sensor since the detection activity would be pretty obvious.

The directional antenna, assuming it was facing backwards to your direction of travel, might work if your scanner has "close call" or similar. I think band scanning would be unlikely to work given the probability of intercept.

top topics

join