It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diminishing quality of the labor pool

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
double post
edit on 6/22/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Unfortunately, those rare employers are becoming infected at the speed of light.

It depends on the industry. Certain fields are employee markets which tend to get better terms than employer markets. Software development is one which offers better terms (though front end web dev and game design is pretty poor), another is trucking. There's a massive need for more truck drivers and companies are offering great terms. I've never heard of an auto mechanic who complains about an abusive employer either.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

For example, the average Dutchman is 6'2 and the average Chinese man is 5'6". It's correct to say that the Dutch are a physically superior race. (fyi -- I'm part Asian, I'm just not brainwashed) Calling that racist and putting on a sad face doesn't make it not true.

I won't call it racist, but I will call it an example of something someone a bit soft in the head would exclaim.

What that data means is you can say, "The Dutch are generally taller", not "The Dutch are the physically superior race." It's probably a bit racist, but more than that it's just idiotic. A little bit of extra height doesn't mean physical superiority. It means they're taller. Not always, usually.

An example of a physically superior race is something like overpowered fantasy Elves compared to humans, where they:
Live pretty much forever.
Are massively stronger.
Are unearthly beautiful.
Don't gain excessive weight.

Height is practically irrelevant unless it's crippling. Do the Dutch live much longer than the Chinese (under equal conditions), have much greater strength (to the extent that a Chinese person with training cannot match an untrained Dutch person), beauty is pretty much in the eye of the beholder so we'll ignore that, and do the Dutch not gain excessive weight (at least more slowly than the Chinese)?

All this and more you would need to call a race "Physically Superior."
edit on 22/6/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
An example of a physically superior race is something like overpowered fantasy Elves compared to humans, where they:
Live pretty much forever.
Are massively stronger.
Are unearthly beautiful.
Don't gain excessive weight.

I get your point, but even that doesn't necessarily mean physically superior. Just to prove my nerd cred I'll point out that Elves typically reproduce slower than Humans do so while they live much longer casualties are also much more impactful and replenishing numbers which could take a generation may be a century for elves while just 10 years for humans.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

It is not unusual AT ALL for a new hire to make A LOT more than existing employees, for the same job. And the newbie has the advantage of saying 'I don't yet know the business side of your company' to stave off some of the more heinous tasks for a while.

There is an extreme bias right now toward new blood.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I will admit that employers are treating people much worst then they have in the past. It seems greed is eternal. I always find it funny how employers act when employees lawyer up or fight back. The problem I speak to is part of a much larger societal problem.

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: AssiduousSpook

Like it or not better pay begets better help. Ever notice when you are in an expensive restaurant the waitstaff is friendly and tables cleanliness are set at a higher standard?

GO to a min wage fast food joint and it seems different, pissed people and dirty restaurants. Of course this is a generalization, but I seem to notice it more and more.

If we all race to the bottom the bottom we will find. People need to earn enough money to afford all the stuff life requires. It's hard to be crisp, fresh and friendly when you work 3 part time jobs and still can't pay rent.

I totally agree to this statement. There have been times in my life I have worked in undeseriable work environments. I will admit the pay has had a lot to do with my attitude and desire to actually give a rats a@s.
edit on 24-6-2016 by AssiduousSpook because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: AssiduousSpook

Any concrete example of this statement?

Personally, I am not a big fan of the system itself. Most people I know spend all their youth in school and in college and study all kind of really good topics such as science and stuff, but the system is so hellbent on taking more than it gives, most people then have their dream crushed, their ideal position rejected by established figures (those who are already there want to keep their jobs, so new arrivals are not particularly welcomed), and end up as minimum wage employees.

So I wouldn't be surprised if some just simply don't try to rise anymore. But the fault is not entirely theirs - the system is doing a good job at destroying any ambitions which could threaten the system.

edit on 24-6-2016 by AssiduousSpook because: To merge posts and replies.

I have came to my conclusions by closing observing the world around me. The people I work with, the people that work at places that I go and shop at and people in general that I encounter on a day to basis. I am often left wondering, who in the hell would hire this clown?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
double post

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I've never heard of an auto mechanic who complains about an abusive employer either.

Unless that mechanic works for a big operation like Goodyear, or Firestone. Like plumbers, mechanics that work for a small Ma/Pop business, are not likely to complain, but they are in the same boat as the rest of us, that work for a large corporation.

That is one of the reasons I encourage and support local small businesses. Another reason I support small businesses, is that they don't take my business for grant. They want me to return, and they want my word of mouth advertisement. That usually is a win, win for both of us.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I can't speak of the mechanic trade specifically but in what will hopefully be my field some day, it's actually the medium sized companies that are the best to work for. You don't want to work in a 30 person studio because they don't usually have reliable cash flow to pay their employees and instead turn to "alternative" compensation, but the big studios get so many applicants and have so many people that you're just a replaceable cog in the machine.

It's the mid sized 50-100 person companies that are great because they've got the size to have multiple revenue streams and the stability that brings, but they're still small enough that every person matters and that gives you leverage in negotiations to get a favorable deal.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join