It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diminishing quality of the labor pool

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sorry if you spent 5 minutes on the mats with some of millennial I used to fight with and still practice BJJ with your definition of steel would change.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Sorry if you spent 5 minutes on the mats with some of millennial I used to fight with and still practice BJJ with your definition of steel would change.

It's not me disparaging the work force!! I really don't know what you are trying to say here....

I do remember however when you blamed all the problems on "old people" .... some of us aren't so demented we forget insults.
edit on 19-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Can't let go huh?

Up don't think blaming kids just getting out of college for lacking skills is smart

Maybe you should take it up with the people running the schools

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

It's not that all of the problems are the fault of "old people", it's just that most of the problems are the fault of "old people." Millennials haven't had time to generate all their f*ckups, yet.

We are a product of our circumstances, circumstances we had no hand in shaping.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Well on one hand Millienials have a lot of problems but on the other can you blame them for being so missed when they are lied to and brainwashed for 22 years and then get out into the real world under a totally different reality then they were promised for 22 years to find out they were sold out by bad trade policies and sold out to cheap immigrant labor?

Then they organize politically and vote entire mass for Bernie Sanders and they get shut down by a corrupt political system.

Yeah we're pissed and everyone better start listening
edit on 6/19/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I personally believe the problem stems from the fact standards of society and for employment seem to keep get lowered and lowered. 20 years ago a cashier was at least expected to be able to count and make change, now all that is required is being able to read a screen. If you expect someone to actually bhave skills or be able to conduct themselves in a professional manner and that person is unable to meet those standards then it's a cry that someone is being discriminated against. Its truely a sad state of affairs.

As long as in society we keep lowering our standards people will have no reason to rise to a better standard. This hurts us all in the end.

We as a society need to stand up and say we are not going to lower the standards anymore. This over accepting mindset that was fallen on America is running this country into the ground.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AssiduousSpook

In my opinion the opposite is true.

The standards have been raised which is why every single position requires degrees or multiple degrees when their used to be entry level and training involved.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: schuyler

I'm cruel.

I typically have applicants write out their applications.

I can weed out many that way.

Handwrite? I write in cursive, and only cursive, with all the neatness one would expect of a writing form I use only a handful of times per year. I always feel bad for anyone who has to read my handwriting.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

a reply to: jimmyx

You're right.

I should pay some special snowflake 100K just to work a few hours a week and not actually do the job.

Really?

What type of job and in what region? In my field the base rate for what you're asking in the bigger cities is closer to $130k. 24/7 on call, educated, and no work/life balance.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: AssiduousSpook

Work Ethics isn't like it used to be. Many companies are having a hard time finding good competent workers today.

Exactly when did work ethics cease, anyway? have you met my 40-something brother yet? He's a veritable computer genius with certs in just about everything to do with any type of coding, or system. He's one of those old-school self-mades, from back when examples of your skills in front of your potential new employer, and certifications out the yang could get you work in 10 seconds flat. He rocketed up the income ladder back in the late 90's. He had it made with his salary, man, his company either saw glory through him, or were idiots to pay him almost 80k back then. Probably a little of both, IMO.

You know what, though? He didn't earn it. He blew his career being an entitled office brat. He delegated his work to his subordinates, racked stuff up on the company CC, and basically only showed up in the office long enough each day to F around on his computer, delegate his work, and skip out for "long lunches". Yes, eventually, he got fired. This happened several times, with each new job offering him less & less for his skills. He wasn't worth the money, skills aren't everything.

A skill set doesn't have much to do with how high one's salary is, it's how good of a person they are, which does tie into work ethic. Neither of those are new to employers. My brother's a crap employee, and nowadays, he's lucky to be making 30K freelancing (if he can get anything), since his references have nothing good to say about his work ethic.
edit on 6/20/2016 by Nyiah because: Bungled a sentence. Fixed.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

a reply to: CantStandIt

Anyone interested can simply PM me.

I'll look at any resume's.

I would atleast hear you out, but summer ends soon and my school program forbids working while taking classes. Plus, it's software engineering when I think you want the real thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
I'm too old to be encouraged by that but it sure gave me a grin.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It was once the case that you could expect a high school graduate to be able to craft a decent, grammatical business letter. Today you can't expect that of college graduates. The educational process has been dumbed down so much that a typical liberal arts college graduate has few marketable skills. No wonder they work at McDonalds. The assumption is that they are underemployed, but they are not. They are working at their skill level.

I have seen people with Masters degrees who cannot write. How could they possibly have graduated? well, if they don't graduate, they might feel badly, so they are passed on to get them out of the way. When you add motivation to this mix, or the lack of it, the state of the labor pool is utterly dismal.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

What about the 1971 nerds?
Huh? Huh? What about them?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

care to post us pic ?...i suspect you fit the bill nicely

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
I would, but my slide scanner doesn't seem to be operational.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Specifically 71 eh? From what I remember of back then, nerds didn't come out of the dark until the 80s. Back in the early 70's people still mostly judged by appearances and nerds had to wear suits. But that was only after achieving a position of some kind. In high school, even college, the 70s nerd focused on fitting in, conformity, and social invisibility. To not be in lock step of the accepted norms was tantamount to being exiled. So it was better for the nerd to not be noticed at all, than to be picked out for being slightly different.

It wasn't until the 80's and "revenge of the nerds" that people would accept a nerd as a CEO, that pocket protectors and tape on the eye glasses became a symbol, and girls still wanted nothing to do with nerds.

Most of the professors I knew in the 70's married one of their undergrads.

So.... what of the nerds in 71 ? They dreamed of getting a position, and maybe even a secretary or lab assistant. But mostly they dreamed of working at NASA.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I write in cursive, and only cursive

What ?...really.....?...

What kind of schooling does one receive to only be able to write this way ?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Do you know what happens when you drop a stack of punchcards and the rubber band breaks?
It's not good. Not good at all.

Do you know what it means to debug code when it's all on 8 x 14 fanfold?

So.... what of the nerds in 71 ? They dreamed of getting a position, and maybe even a secretary or lab assistant.
And started Apple. And started Microsoft. Not that that's really relevant.

edit on 6/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
I would, but my slide scanner doesn't seem to be operational.

Plug and pray era huh, at least computers work a little better these days

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join