It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does it matter if 'reality' is real?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

oh crap.
an actual LOL.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Glad someone got that reference.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
How about fruit cakes!a reply to: LesMisanthrope

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Is a dream real?
Where is the dream that was experienced last night?
Where is 5 minutes ago?

If anything is real it is the dreamer of the dream!
The dreamer will never appear - only dream stuff appears but it has no solidity.

The only constant is the dreamer which is never separate from the ever changing scenery.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I don't know if reality being genuine does matter, but as thinking beings it ought to matter to us.

One of the cornerstones of our human framework of knowledge is that reality is real, and if this belief can be proven to be false or deceptive, it challenges the overwhelmingly vast majority of knowledge we possess.

edit on 21/6/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
For me, personally, it does matter a lot whether the reality is real. As a result of a dream I had as a teenager, I developed a form of phobia that reality is unreal. When I feel this way, I feel like a disembodied dismattered blob of schizophrenic loneliness, hanging timeless and motionless in the middle of nothingness. Feeling so lonely that I had split my consciousness into milliards of personalities, ruled by self-made pseudo physical laws, just to invent a world to keep me company for a glass of beer. So, yes, it matters painfully a lot to me that reality is real. Sounds insane, I know, therefore I don’t think often about this. Although, the older I get, more I believe that reality is real after all, because, no matter what it is - it is.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: stiver
For me, personally, it does matter a lot whether the reality is real. As a result of a dream I had as a teenager, I developed a form of phobia that reality is unreal. When I feel this way, I feel like a disembodied dismattered blob of schizophrenic loneliness, hanging timeless and motionless in the middle of nothingness. Feeling so lonely that I had split my consciousness into milliards of personalities, ruled by self-made pseudo physical laws, just to invent a world to keep me company for a glass of beer. So, yes, it matters painfully a lot to me that reality is real. Sounds insane, I know, therefore I don’t think often about this. Although, the older I get, more I believe that reality is real after all, because, no matter what it is - it is.

Sweet. Reality isn't 'real'. We just believe it is through subliminal suggestion.

You mentioned it didnt matter that reality was real, and then you said it mattered painfully a lot that it was real. Do you care if it is or not?

Honestly it's nothing to worry about because it too will fade, and all this will become nothingness upon departation.

Anyways, have a great day!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

You mentioned it didnt matter that reality was real, and then you said it mattered painfully a lot that it was real. Do you care if it is or not?

Please, read again. I wrote the first time "it does matter a lot" to me and then - "it matters painfully a lot to me."
As about everything fading into nothingness - that's something we (humanity) still don't know for sure. Seems information could be something that would survive and could be a source for starting a new cycle of real or simulated realities. "Subliminal suggestions?" I thought we are talking a little more serious stuff here. Planets and stars don't move by subliminal suggestions.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If 'reality' exists, you'll never be able to experience it as a so called 'reality'. Since everything you experience can never be anything more than a phenomenon generated within your own brain.

When you touch a hot flame, you don't feel the flame at all. Not only does the brain generate the sensation you experience, but it also gives the sensation a spatial-like quality which makes it feel as though the pain is coming from your hand. The brain generates everything you perceive and experience as space and time. So no matter if reality exists or not, you have no choice but to experience it as a simulation.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Nice

Pain is nothing more than a 'Sensation'.
edit on 6/24/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 24-6-2016 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012
If 'reality' exists, you'll never be able to experience it as a so called 'reality'. Since everything you) experience can never be anything more than a phenomenon generated within your own brain.

No, there is such a physical plane called "the human school" environment. Earth is its playground for souls to experience an environment that promotes fast growth (without rotes or prior information; soul is dropped cold into a strange environment).

Visitor: When you touch a hot flame, you don't feel the flame at all. Not only does the brain generate the sensation you experience, but it also gives the sensation a spatial-like quality which makes it feel as though the pain is coming from your hand. The brain generates everything you perceive and experience as space and time. So no matter if reality exists or not, you have no choice but to experience it as a simulation.

This physical experience your soul in divested in has nothing to do with anything but growth (you are not here to record life experience to a higher being, you are here to experience this environment without killing yourself before the experiment ends).

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So, yes, it matters painfully a lot to me that reality is real. Sounds insane, I know, therefore I don’t think often about this. Although, the older I get, more I believe that reality is real after all, because, no matter what it is - it is.

What you are experiencing on this physical plane is not real. It does not exist anywhere else because it has a function as a learning tool only. Liken it to taking a 301 Physical Sciences class as one that never needed a physical body to exist (was just curious about 'heavy matter' existence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join