It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiohead fans attacked in Istanbul for drinking alcohol during Ramadan.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
While it may be legal to sell and drink alcohol year round it doesn't mean that it is socially acceptable. Of course they didn't deserve the violence but in middle eastern countries you have to be aware of what is culturally acceptable, not just the laws.

I would never travel to the middle east these days. I also have zero respect for Muslims and Islamics (sure, there are always exceptions) because they look down on/judge western culture and are not very tolerant people. They expect you to follow all their traditions in their countries and when they come to the US/EU they don't adapt to the culture. Instead they impose their own culture and expect special treatment.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Okay if you are traveling to another country, you must know the rules and customs and the way their culture is. Even if you are not Muslim, you must respect. They usually close all restaurants and drinking is HARAM (Forbidden) and if anyone is PUBLICLY drinking during the month of Ramadan that is EXTREMEMLY disrespectful.

If you travel, know your stuff and don't be a dumbass.

They are pretty much asking for it.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE VIOLENCE.

I think it is wrong and extreme however, what do they expect when they are blatantly disrespecting people.

Regardless if you disagree or agree, you must respect others beliefs. It is that simple.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Adrianita14 because: took out the swearing

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adrianita14
Okay if you are traveling to another country, you must know the rules and customs and the way their culture is. Even if you are not Muslim, you must respect. They usually close all restaurants and drinking is HARAM (Forbidden) and if anyone is PUBLICLY drinking during the month of Ramadan that is EXTREMEMLY disrespectful.

Were those involved foreigners?

Has that been established?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

ONLY a foreigner would do this.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adrianita14

ONLY a foreigner would do this.

I don't agree with that.

Young people think they are invincible. They think they have the right to be who they are.

Anyway, I would like to know who the attendees are and where they come from.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: pl3bscheese

No. I wasnt. The violence is appalling in the video. And the words were IN CONTEXT by the OP.

"enjoying the new Radiohead album, fans were attacked with pipes and beaten for drinking alcohol"

Im spot-on. One doesnt need the alcohol to enjoy...anything. And that along with the religious implications is how it is in other countries.

They can get us into some deep crap if we visit as foreigners over there...we tippy-toe or can get whipped, tortured, imprisoned.

What was said:
"enjoying the new radiohead album, fans were attacked with pipes...for drinking"

What was read:
"Drinking alcohol to enjoy the new radiohead album....."

Not the same thing at all. I certainly have no idea why anyone would want to attack the wording of the OP and not discuss the awful video.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

From what i heard it was a mix of locals and korean guys who live inIstanbul, the owner of the record shop is either korean or turkis/korean (not sure anymore).

Either way, drinking IN the shop would be legal, as i understand it drinking outside the shop (just in front of the shop) would be legal but seen morally offensive.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Im spot-on. One doesnt need the alcohol to enjoy...anything. And that along with the religious implications is how it is in other countries.

That is your opinion. in my opinion, alcohol is 100% required to enjoy things.
And your opinion is equal to my opinion...so the only thing left then is law.
it is legal to buy and drink alcohol in istanbul.
therefore the thread is about islamic people attacking people who are doing something perfectly legal, simply because their religion doesn't like it.
will be standing over there waiting for you to come up with some new excuse

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

a reply to: SprocketUK

IF they were abiding by the law...apparently it wasnt perceived that way by those doing the beating

The ones doing the beating dont observe law, they observe religion. the religion is the law to them, thats it.

alcohol is required to have fun

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

That is your opinion. in my opinion, alcohol is 100% required to enjoy things.
And your opinion is equal to my opinion...so the only thing left then is law.
it is legal to buy and drink alcohol in istanbul.
therefore the thread is about islamic people attacking people who are doing something perfectly legal, simply because their religion doesn't like it.
will be standing over there waiting for you to come up with some new excuse

Are you being serious about the alcohol thing? That's very sad if you are

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

a reply to: pl3bscheese

No. I wasnt. The violence is appalling in the video. And the words were IN CONTEXT by the OP.

"enjoying the new Radiohead album, fans were attacked with pipes and beaten for drinking alcohol"

They can get us into some deep crap if we visit as foreigners over there...we tippy-toe or can get whipped, tortured, imprisoned.

The great thing about freedom is the right to do something you want not just what you need. I'd hate to live in a country whose culture is still stuck in the stone ages.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

I am amused that my enjoyment makes you sad.

your sadness however makes me chuckle...so all is right with the world.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

I am amused that my enjoyment makes you sad.

your sadness however makes me chuckle...so all is right with the world.

How very odd. Ok. Something tells me that's all a front. But whatever. Cheers

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You arent implying are you that those who dont drink...or do drugs...cant enjoy an album? There are a lot of recovering substance abusers...and those who never have partaked, definitely have a good time without it.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

Man, you are so absolutely right on the alcohol thing. These other countries have some serious issues with their religious views. And they inflict them on everyone...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Jumpin back in....hey Saturn? The whole point here is you DO and SHOULD have the right to enjoy it if its your thing.

You positively do...but theres more than a few countries that dont think that way..for you? No problem with me!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Videos been pulled.
Can't touch that sacred cow.
The goat maybe but not the cow.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Jumpin back in....hey Saturn? The whole point here is you DO and SHOULD have the right to enjoy it if its your thing.

You positively do...but theres more than a few countries that dont think that way..for you? No problem with me!

Was hammering the whole "you dont need to drink to have fun" as a response to hearing people being beaten with metal pipes for drinking while having fun.

Anyhow, the country in question is legal to drink.
Imagine for a moment the news was about some rednecks beating some muslims at a mosque because they weren't drinking on the 4th of july...and someone said, "well, people should drink on the 4th".

The response to hearing of a beatdown being to just go straight to moral grandstanding about how drinking isn't needed for fun annoyed me...its judgmental, its apologetic towards the moral gangs, and it is highly subjective morality being pushed out in public like its a objective fact that people should give a crap about.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Man, you are so absolutely right on the alcohol thing. These other countries have some serious issues with their religious views. And they inflict them on everyone...

Here are the dry counties still in America. If the Fundamentalists weren't kept in check, chances are you'd have similar situations here.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Shhhh...dont interior his anti muslim rant. They are very popular here.

Here are the dry counties still in America. If the Fundamentalists weren't kept in check, chances are you'd have similar situations here.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join