It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiohead fans attacked in Istanbul for drinking alcohol during Ramadan.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I see little wrong in the video,

It is fairly obvious when you have someone that is inbred with a low IQ and just enough brain function to be easily led it would end any other way..

I do agree in their country you obey all local customs and law and just so it is a level playing field when they are in mine I do not have to put up with their BS either, works well I think..

RA

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

Thanks.

You are so right on.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
This just in: some people got angry after hearing the story of the recordstore assault.

So the organised a protest, 500 people march against intolerance.

Cops answered with teargas and watercannons
source in german

This has to be seen in context: an authoritarioan president, several protests against him (gezi park, taksim park), ramadan, turkey lost the football game.... an explosive cocktail.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Footage from the Protests

Riot police vs protesters istanbul

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
I see little wrong in the video,

It is fairly obvious when you have someone that is inbred with a low IQ and just enough brain function to be easily led it would end any other way..

I do agree in their country you obey all local customs and law and just so it is a level playing field when they are in mine I do not have to put up with their BS either, works well I think..

RA

This is where I am confused though. The people drinking were non-muslim, correct?

I understand it is Muslim custom to fast during Ramadan. Are they also supposed to force this custom on people that don't follow the religion? I see some people giving the equivalent to the "when in rome" argument but I don't get it here.

Why would Muslims expect non-Muslims to follow Islamic customs? Why should they?
edit on 6/19/2016 by atomish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

I do agree in their country you obey all local customs and law

I agree. So can you show me where Turkey's laws say this?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
3 people detained , 2 released , 1 charged with felony ; he denies the charges and claims that prior to incident inside the premises,there were altercations outside on the pavement.

The truth is that some idiots couldn't stomach people drinking on the pavement and told these people to " respect the customs " ; they got abuse for it and it all kicked off from there.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 23432
3 people detained , 2 released , 1 charged with felony ; he denies the charges and claims that prior to incident inside the premises,there were altercations outside on the pavement.

The truth is that some idiots couldn't stomach people drinking on the pavement and told these people to " respect the customs " ; they got abuse for it and it all kicked off from there.

That's what I wondered about.

Not that it wouldn't have happened if they were all inside, but seemed off to me.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: VivreLibre

Yes...and must adhere while there...citizens or visitors... to the rules of the country and its ideals. I dont like 'em as well.

So you've never met anyone from Instanbul or been there?

OK so you don't really know what you're talking about if you think this type of senseless violence is a part of their ideals. Yes there are Muslims there and many of them take their beliefs to this level, but this behavior is not part of Instanbul's ideals.

As you can see, many people are pissed about it and this happened

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Turkey isn't even a wholly muslim country.
Their laws reflect this, so why anyone would think that it's ok for people to force Ramadan on non muslims and also kick off about the consumption of alcohol at this time when muslims deny themselves all year round is beyond me.

Not so much when in Rome, more a case of wherever you are, if you see one Roman...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
The video says it all. While enjoying the new Radiohead album, fans were attacked with pipes and beaten for drinking alcohol during the "holy" month of Ramadan.

---------

THE RELIGION OF PEACE STRIKES AGAIN.

I can understand their reaction, they were just Hangry. Imagine not eating eating or drinking while the sun shines in a hot country, that's enough to p1ss anyone off.

They do it to themselves they do.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
About the law and customs in Turkey: Turkey is (officially) a secular state.

Division of religion and state. it s not per se a muslim country.
Therefor alcohol is legal, at all times under the law.

Customs would advise to be discreet in public consumption during ramadan.
Which the people at the record store have been. There should be absolutely no problem with drinking in a private record store.

The whole ordeal shows the problem with Islam. It s not only a religion but a combination of religion and law (sharia). And most moslems identify first with Islam, second with the country they live in.

Just recently a german newspaper published a study which showed that more than 50 % percent of Turkish people living in Germany follow rather sharia than german law.

And Turkey is (or was so far) one of the most moderate countries with a moslem majority.
They even had gay prides happening in the past.
Under Erdogan they move very fast towards a Saudi version of Islam.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Yes...I know..have been there...and must respect their culture while on their soil....otherwise? Im not coming home..without consequences.....

And the video is appalling...but when in other countries...walk softly
edit on 19-6-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84

And Turkey is (or was so far) one of the most moderate countries with a moslem majority.
They even had gay prides happening in the past.
Under Erdogan they move very fast towards a Saudi version of Islam.

We still have gay parades .

It is more likely that the Saudi Islam will become more like Turkish Islam .

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Local Jews & Christians would not even dream of drinking on the pavement , in public , during Ramadan.

Byzantine Customs would not allow it , let alone Islamic tradition.

Simply put , it is offensive.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

I heard the gay pride for this year was canceled over 'security concerns' ?
Am i misinformed?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Yes...I know..have been there...and must respect their culture while on their soil....otherwise? Im not coming home..without consequences.....

And the video is appalling...but when in other countries...walk softly

How can you walk more softly than sitting down in a chair and enjoying a drink and some *crappy music?

*to each their own
edit on 19-6-2016 by Tempter because: Sp

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84
a reply to: 23432

I heard the gay pride for this year was canceled over 'security concerns' ?
Am i misinformed?

Not totally misinformed but maybe you are unaware of some other relevant details pertaining to this case.

Permission for Gay Parade was denied by Istanbul Municipality over security concerns .

Nationalist group [ Alperenler ] declared that they will not " Permit " such a disgracefull and blatant abuse in Ramadan .

11 natonalist have been arrested and Gay people were gassed away by cops.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Are you guys actually discussing if people can enjoy alcohol? Because everyone must naturally HATE it?!?!?!?
Guy said they were enjoying the album anyways...

This wasn't the entire muslim world attacking everyone's freedom, it was some thugs who happened to think everyone should do what they believe!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: st0rm
who happened to think everyone should do what they believe!

Snap, so does the religion of peace...

RA

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join