It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiohead fans attacked in Istanbul for drinking alcohol during Ramadan.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

And yes, the Romans handled their Guests badly.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Romans enjoyed alcohol and probably would have enjoyed Radiohead.....

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

And yes, the Romans handled their Guests badly.

Alcohol is legal in Turkey.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

Thanks for the little mini tour of Istanbul's fun times.

Hope it stays that way.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

alcohol is legal in turkey, it is sold in markets, restaurants and they even have Bars.

no ban on alcohol, in turkey. now some merchants and restaurant may chose not to sell it due to their religion.

edit on 18-6-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

My point was, that when you're in someone elses back yard, it's wise and polite to abide by their rules.

In this case the Romans being the arabs who beat the crap out of those Visiting their country could have been a little 'more decent' about it ?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

My point was, that when you're in someone elses back yard, it's wise and polite to abide by their rules.

In this case the Romans being the arabs who beat the crap out of those Visiting their country could have been a little 'more decent' about it ?

Were they outside? Were they being obvious? Were they being obnoxious?

Has anyone located the record store owner? I read he disappeared.

Could this attack be motivated by something else? A grudge against the owner?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Their rules allow Alcohol sales and consumption year round.

Muslims in this case, pushed their views/beliefs on people who were legally enjoying and consuming alcohol while listening to Radiohead.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Updates:

Similar attacks have targeted art galleries in the area in the past, with critics claiming Turkey's current Islamic-rooted government is undermining the country's secular tradition. www.yahoo.com...

Istanbul (AFP) - Turkish police fired tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets late Saturday to disperse hundreds of people protesting after Islamists attacked Radiohead fans for attending an album launch during Ramadan. A group of about 20 men beat up customers and employees at the Velvet IndieGround music store on Friday night, angry that they were drinking alcohol at the event during the Muslim holy month. Some 500 people gathered in Istanbul's central Cihangir neighbourhood Saturday night in response to a call from activists to protest against the attack, an AFP photographer said. The protesters shouted "Shoulder to shoulder against fascism!" and denounced President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as a "thief" and a "killer". www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Their rules allow Alcohol sales and consumption year round.

Muslims in this case, pushed their views/beliefs on people who were legally enjoying and consuming alcohol while listening to Radiohead.

They have video.

If they identify the attackers do you think anything will be done?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

With their present Government? Probably nothing. Slap on the wrist if anything.

edit on 18-6-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Yes i agree, but it was supposedly during Rama dam dam or whatever they call it, which prohibits drink. I don't know if that includes all people everywhere in their country or just believers in their special sky god.

If it's the latter then they were clearly in the wrong, and need a good a** kicking.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

With their present Government? Probably nothing. Slap on the wrist if anything.

Sounds familiar.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

a reply to: SLAYER69

Yes i agree, but it was supposedly during Rama dam dam or whatever they call it, which prohibits drink. I don't know if that includes all people everywhere in their country or just believers in their special sky god.

If it's the latter then they were clearly in the wrong, and need a good a** kicking.

Turkey is actually a secular government. I had to look that up.

It is not a Muslim theocracy. At least not at the current moment.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Turkey used to be the most open country of all the Muslim countries but has recently become very nationalist, hoping for the days of the old Ottoman empire. Lots of propaganda movies and converting old orthodox churches that were once museums into mosques.

Turkey is going through some serious changes right now

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Agreed. Not relevant in this case, but i agree.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
When I was in the Navy ...I went to most all the places that I would not even think of going to now...Even the Philippines, who I know someone I would like to see... it's all because of mooselims ...need nothing else be said!!
edit on 18-6-2016 by Krypto1 because: had to add and "s" to place

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

a reply to: Tempter

I am going with the idea of when in Rome but...

ANYONE who attacks a Radiohead fan is a savage!!!

Guess I'll leave this here.

"Karma police, arrest this girl her Hitler haircut is making me ill...This is what you get, when you mess with us!"

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Hey friend ..come on mood music and play me a (short) song!! hahahah

the bottom line is us good people can't travel like in the good old days because of Mooselims

edit on 18-6-2016 by Krypto1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Turkey used to be the most open country of all the Muslim countries but has recently become very nationalist, hoping for the days of the old Ottoman empire. Lots of propaganda movies and converting old orthodox churches that were once museums into mosques.

Turkey is going through some serious changes right now

So I read.

I really do try to read up on subjects before commenting.

Like I said up-thread, I'm not sure the average person qualifies for voting in heads of state.

The average person knows only their little corner of the world and their own personal wants, needs, and desires.

The world and politics is just way bigger then that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join