It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One week with the new server...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well, after one week, I think we can all agree the overall performance is back to where it should be, and more. As a matter of fact, our general non-member guest activity has increased by about 30% as soon as the new server went online... if you build it, they will come. We're now in the first stages of what will become a multi-server environment as ATS continues to grow. The first step was to establish two servers: Original Dual Xeon --> manages images, blogs, webmail, IgnoranceDenied.com New Dual Xeon Raid --> manages discussion boards and main ATS site. Our next server upgrade (when needed) will be to establish a third server as a web-only server that uses the new Dual Xeon as the database server. Remaining Issues and Status Uploads: member uploads are still not functioning and the return of this service will take some time. The new multi-server environment (with most images on a different server than the discussion board) represents some new challenges for a simple file upload facility. We're working on it, but there is no definite status at this point. Webmail: the ability to purchase ATS webmail accounts will soon return. In addition, Spam and Anti-Virus scanning will return (this was disabled some time ago due to server load). DeepMetrix Cookies: we have ended third-party traffic reporting with Deep Metrix. The cookie placed by DeepMetrix was causing some issues with a few member's firewalls. With the new CPU capacity, we're back to processing our own reports with Urchin. Subdomain Issues: A couple members are still reporting issues with images. ads. and uploads. dubdomains. These are all on the old server, and the issues is likely a problem with your local DNS cache on your machine, or your ISP's local cache. The best solution is to clear your local DNS cache, or contact your ISP. Outbound Email: During the first few days of the new server, some email may have been bounced, especially when members were requesting new passwords. This should be fine now. The issue was slow propagation of Reverse DNS for our new server... most email systems do not allow incoming email when a reverse DNS cannot be resolved. Design look & feel: there have been a few updates to the look & feel with new menu buttons for the board functions, ATS domains, and recent posts page. Over the next few weeks, additional improvements in the board usability and look & feel will be occurring. Be prepared.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I say good job ats/bts and the rest if u know what I mean.

Now for the the beyond.

Great site!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'd like to say well done, but unfortunately, I no longer seem to able to get to ATS whilst at work, which is where I do 95% of my posting.

I assume it's something to do with the new server/settings.

Not to worry, I'll try and look in every so often.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka I no longer seem to able to get to ATS whilst at work,
What type of error do you get?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Remaining Issues and Status
Uploads: member uploads are still not functioning and the return of this service will take some time. The new multi-server environment (with most images on a different server than the discussion board) represents some new challenges for a simple file upload facility. We're working on it, but there is no definite status at this point.

Just wanted to throw out that Imageshack is a good alternative to upload pics while the server is working itself out. Unlimited uploading, 100k size limit, and BBcode is already provided so that you can just copy/paste onto your ATS message immediately after you upload it. Not to mention no sign-up is required and your image will never be erased.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
When will the blogs be up?

Are the image problems (animated avatars) one of the mentioned image problems and is a problem with my server? The avatars were animated at the beginning of the new server and now they are not.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I cannot move sections on MyATS page. All the little green and red editting arrows are gone. I can't move the sections up and/or down.

Is this one of the issues still unresolved?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Koka
I no longer seem to able to get to ATS whilst at work,

What type of error do you get?

Something to do with not finding the server, I'll try and do a screen capture.

Normally, if it's a restricted site, Websense would stop me, but this is definitely something different.

It could be that my boss has checked the logs and has had it blocked without telling me.

As I work for Bechtel they may prefer me not to be surfing conspiracy sites, especially as they are mentioned in various conspiracies, or I may be a little paranoid....

new topics

top topics

join