It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oort cloud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I might have missed this but is the Oort cloud still a theory or did it get changed into something else?

When all these minor planets being found orbiting our solar system I am not finding any referances to it anymore

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I might have missed this but is the Oort cloud still a theory or did it get changed into something else?

When all these minor planets being found orbiting our solar system I am not finding any referances to it anymore

I don't think anything changed. At least I haven't heard anything, and I believe it's still thought to be the source of long-period comets.

Regards,

Osiris

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
okay, then what is the Kuiper belt? and how does that differ from the Oort Coloud?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Jehosephat

Did a quick search and found this link-

www.bbc.co.uk...

Hope this helps !!

E_T

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
okay, then what is the Kuiper belt? and how does that differ from the Oort Coloud?
Use the Google, Luke.

www.star.ucl.ac.uk...

Careful orbital calculations done in 1950 by Jan Oort indicate that a huge spherical "cloud" (now called the Oort Cloud) of perhaps a trillion (1e12) or more comets orbit the Sun far beyond the orbit of Pluto from about 30,000 AU to a light-year or more. This is the source of the long-period comets.

The Kuiper Belt is a disk-shaped region past the orbit of Neptune roughly 30 to 100 AU from the Sun containing many small icy bodies. It is now considered to be the source of the short-period comets.

Kuiper Belt
www.ifa.hawaii.edu...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I know this is a old thread but it will re-serve its' purpose.

First off I would like to say how much education this web site offers its' members. I have learned so much in the few months I have been here.

I would like to share this thread in light of all the talk of planet X and the twin sun. It is very interesting and is a new topic for me.

Nasa's description.

Wikipedia's description.

And a sobering video.

Now I am not saying its going to happen and run for the caves (just yet). What I feel is important is that we all know what is potentially out there and to always be prepared. My favorite motto around my house is "better safe then sorry".

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Well, if Nibiru exists, are all the astronomers covering it up? Bear in mind something that huge could easily be seen through some sort of telescope.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by totalvigilance

Well this is really not about that, its more about where meteors are coming from. Please watch the video, I am not debating planet X here.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Great video, gives a great angle to think about. Makes you realise how fragile we really are as a planet. I wonder if there's anything actually being done in preperation for this, I have a feeling there must be.

new topics

top topics

join