It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Gives Racist Math Quiz About ‘Pimps,’ ‘Ho’s’ And Drug Deals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This test is racially biased. I have no idea what an "8 ball" is.

I heard that it equals 3.5 grams of Bolivian Marching Powder.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The only possible defense is that the teacher took too far to heart the idea that you cannot use some references and words because they are not culturally correct. I think it was Florida that had a stink about the word "camel" because the rationale was that inner city kids had had no chance to be exposed to that word because they live in "culturally impoverished" environments.

The argument was that it was unfair to use camel because they had no frame of reference for what a camel was or something because they just aren't exposed to language like that in their impoverished homes.

So if you can't use what most of us would think of as standard language and situations and you hear what your middle school kids spend their days talking about ...

Well, you might come up with stuff sort of like this, and I say that as someone who taught that age group in inner city.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Teachers have to do something once everything else has failed. I think this was a desperate move to get the students to listen.
If that is the culture these kids live in then it wouldn't be racist of the teacher.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 18-6-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Teachers have to do something once everything else has failed. I think this was a desperate move to get the students to listen.
If that is the culture these kids live in then it wouldn't be racist of the teacher.

iTruthSeeker

Yep, my point.

Kids in Middle School where i worked talked about gangs, rappers, getting into the NBA, weed, and used that language. While I did not hear them talking about drive-bys, street stuff was par for the course.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Oh, this happened in Alabama....

Im sure it was innocently motivated. Which is why the comments reflect such.

Nothing to see here. Just another fine day in Bama.

I wonder though, if there were different connotations of a certain race, snowflakes effect would come down hard on how 'it must stop' and ' the suffering' and 'harshness of what they have to endure'.

Instead of teaching, theyre now engraving children with their perpetual stereotypes and thinly veiled racism. Attack them while theyre young. Pathetic

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
..."when you be trying to get fired...."

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
Stupid stupid teacher. What exactly makes this test racist? The names or the situations? Wouldn't that be more reflective of the person reading it and how they view people?

Here is the reason it's racist...

Agreed this was in poor taste and the teacher should be punished.
But I wonder if the situation would have played out different if her skin pigment were different.

edit on 18-6-2016 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

originally posted by: superman2012
Stupid stupid teacher. What exactly makes this test racist? The names or the situations? Wouldn't that be more reflective of the person reading it and how they view people?

Here is the reason it's racist...

Agreed this was in poor taste and the teacher should be punished.
But I wonder if the situation would have played out different if her skin pigment were different.

You should wonder if the wording was different for the questions too.:

A slave master owns 'x ' amount of slaves, put 10 to fight to death, and 6 hard labor...

A white supremicist shoouts up a church with blacks and brounght 2 magazines with his AR kills 5 children, and 6 adults...

A man is walking from point a to point x with his girlfriend, the police sees them and opens fire

2 men arested for the same reason, one gets 10 years, the other 6 months, blah blah blah.

Man... ridiculous.

Maybe some of those stereo types should pay her a visit and prove her true..

edit on 18-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's racist because the accusers are racist. When they hear the word "drug dealer" or "pimp", they automatically shift their mind to a certain racial group. After that they submit to the psychologists fallacy, which is to assume that everyone else has the same racist reasoning.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I thought the test was funny.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan Presumably not at your expense.
Then it is funny.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Then it is funny.

Who is at the expense of? The test mentioned no races or skin colors.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's racist because the accusers are racist. When they hear the word "drug dealer" or "pimp", they automatically shift their mind to a certain racial group. After that they submit to the psychologists fallacy, which is to assume that everyone else has the same racist reasoning.

BINGO

10 stars for tat if i could! That right there is the jackpot. Im glad to see some people still understand this sort of behavior for what it is.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Then it is funny.

Half my family is black, the other half white. Am i allowed to take offense according to your reality and ethnic PC guidelines, or then in the least on behalf of my black father and family thereof ?

In light of that, i would have laughed my ass of as well in that class. 100% sure my father would have as well because both of us are not racists.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
So, THIS is what they teach in Schools today. It wouldn't surprise me if this were part of that new system they've put in place to dumb down Children. What's it called, common core?

I think, the Question is out of place and rather shocking to say the least.

I find it sexist however as someone noted online, that Schools consist of more Women teachers than Men.

I hated my female teachers growing up, and the few male teachers i did have, which were 0.1% always made me laugh and didn't have that screeching unbearable high voice i grew to hate while there.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

The identity of the teacher has not been released. School officials did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

If the teacher was a white female or male we would have gotten a entire photo session to go with the news article already.
10 to 1 that the teacher from Alabama was black him or herself.

Funny I was thinking that's how they kept thier job and why groups aren't protesting the school. They figure it was just poor jugement I guess. Though to be honest he or she was just trying to have some fun with the class. You pick something so rediculous I gurantee students were laughing and very interested in reading. Not everythimg is truly about race and making fun of races through jokes used to be quite common. Ill add we can't laugh at ourselves anymore that was the main stay of comedians. Now you tell a joke like say Eddie Murphy did and people just cringe in fear.
edit on 6/19/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Choppz
Wow.... This is what the boobtube have turned people into... I'm 29 And if I was given this quiz in one of my math classes I would have cracked up but solved the equation. Sensitive People

I don't know about racist. But schools have a zero tolerance policy. They suspend kindergarteners and 1st graders for drawing a picture of a gun, writing the word gun or pointing their finger to "pow pow" in pretend gun fights. Eating a poptart into the shape of a gun is also forbidden.

So this "Ramon has an AK-47 with a 30-round clip. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Ramon attempt before he has to steal enough ammunition and reload? " should be out of bounds.

The rest of the questions are poor examples as well. Teachers are supposed to be positive role models. They could have used any number of math stories with unusual and interesting situations that were educational as well and left the criminal activity off the exam. Because making criminal activity funny is part of our social problem.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

This test is racially biased. I have no idea what an "8 ball" is.

Lol!

It's where this teacher should have ended up.

What if the situation was reversed?

Btw, wasn't this posted here before? NSFW language!

edit on 6 19 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join