It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Gives Racist Math Quiz About ‘Pimps,’ ‘Ho’s’ And Drug Deals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

“My son, he took a picture of it in class and he texted it to me,” parent Erica Hall told Mobile’s WALA‑TV. “I couldn’t believe it.”

According to the station, the 10-question math quiz was given to eighth-grade students in a language arts class at Burns Middle School. The test, which contains many drug and gang references, appears to have been copied from a fake quiz that is widely available online. Questions included:

Ramon has an AK-47 with a 30-round clip. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Ramon attempt before he has to steal enough ammunition and reload?

Leroy has 2 ounces of coc aine. If he sells an 8 ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?

Dwayne pimps 3 ho’s. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne’s $500 per day crack habit?
LINK

I'm speechless. I'm posting this here in the hopes that the creative 'optimistic' minds of this forum will be able to rationalize this away somehow.

Then again, there are some things that are so glaringly awful that the entire board pans them. I'm predicting that will happen here.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
And the teacher was only "disciplined"
That should have been a career ender. This gives a pretty good snapshot of this teacher's racist beliefs and they're starting to show. That he/she gave it during the last few days of school, tells me they were hoping it wouldn't be noticed and even if it was, the heat would be off by the time school started again in the Fall.
"Administrative leave" should be "Looking for a new job"

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
One of the things people routinely say about maths at school is "When would I ever need this in the real world"
I guess they can't say that about this guy's lesson.

There's some bitterness there though and I'm not sure he or she is in an appropriate mental state to be in such a position.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

“My son, he took a picture of it in class and he texted it to me,” parent Erica Hall told Mobile’s WALA‑TV. “I couldn’t believe it.”

According to the station, the 10-question math quiz was given to eighth-grade students in a language arts class at Burns Middle School. The test, which contains many drug and gang references, appears to have been copied from a fake quiz that is widely available online. Questions included:

Ramon has an AK-47 with a 30-round clip. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Ramon attempt before he has to steal enough ammunition and reload?

Leroy has 2 ounces of coc aine. If he sells an 8 ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?

Dwayne pimps 3 ho’s. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne’s $500 per day crack habit?
LINK

I'm speechless. I'm posting this here in the hopes that the creative 'optimistic' minds of this forum will be able to rationalize this away somehow.

Then again, there are some things that are so glaringly awful that the entire board pans them. I'm predicting that will happen here.

Well thinking that a name correlates with a race is ridiculous. My White son has the middle name Leroy which was passed down through generation and my assistant manager is named Dwayne and is also white. So I don't see the racism.

I see a lack of respect by bringing up unnecesary situations in a Middle School Class, but, if this is what the kids respond to and know about, why not make it relateable? Imagine if the teacher said, " I have two apples and each of those apples had 6 seeds and I planted those seeds and 1/3 of those seeds became a tree, how many trees would I have?" The response would be "Nigga, I ain't seen no apple trees or Johnny f'n applesauce, my ho owes me four cig's for selling me bunk ass trap." So does a teacher teach what is relateable or what is PC?
edit on 18-6-2016 by Sometimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

According to the station, the 10-question math quiz was given to eighth-grade students in a language arts class at Burns Middle School. The test, which contains many drug and gang references, appears to have been copied from a fake quiz that is widely available online. Questions included:

Tyrone knocked up 4 girls in his gang. There are 20 girls in the gang. What percentage of the girls in the gang has Tyrone knocked up?

Where do those questions specify race?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sometimes
I see a lack of respect by bringing up unnecesary situations in a Middle School Class, but, if this is what the kids respond to and know about, why not make it relateable? Imagine if the teacher said, " I have two apples and each of those apples had 6 seeds and I planted those seeds and 1/3 of those seeds became a tree, how many trees would I have?" The response would be "Nigga, I ain't seen no apple trees or Johnny f'n applesauce, my ho owes me four cig's for selling me bunk ass trap." So does a teacher teach what is relateable or what is PC?

I will remember this forever.

I remember in high-school some of the "cool" teachers might get edgy with these kind of topics, and that's relatively harmless.

Middle-school, though? Not really appropriate.

They're trying to learn how not to google all the answers on the iPad they were born with.
edit on 18-6-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
And the teacher was only "disciplined"
That should have been a career ender. This gives a pretty good snapshot of this teacher's racist beliefs and they're starting to show. That he/she gave it during the last few days of school, tells me they were hoping it wouldn't be noticed and even if it was, the heat would be off by the time school started again in the Fall.
"Administrative leave" should be "Looking for a new job"

If 80% of the kids deal with prostitutes, or guns, or violence, or drugs in their life and the teacher was trying to get the to do the math using what they knew, where is the problem? It is still math is it not? I guarentee these kids grew up in a less than favorable situation and are hard to control. Believe me, my father subsitute teaches in a inner city in the midwest, and I have heard stories about students that I couldn;t imagine, and I know for a fact these schools are not in to top 100 of worst schools. So imagine one of the top 100, how is a teacher going to try to relate to their students if none of them want to listen or care and play on their phones or have headphones in the entire time you are talking. Send them to the principal? LOL.

That kid gets expelled and their parents get called. That parent is as violent as any gang member and tells the principal to their face that if their kid is not in public school (so he/she can do drug deals during free day care time), he will be murdered at some point, aka get a restraining order on me, and one of my peeps will hunt you down type of ordeal.

You like to think it so simple and yet you don;t see the other side to the story as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

originally posted by: Sometimes

I will remember this forever.

I remember in high-school some of the "cool" teachers might get edgy with these kind of topics, and that's relatively harmless.

Middle-school, though? Not really appropriate.

They're trying to learn how not to google all the answers on the iPad they were born with.

Ya getting edgy in order to draw attention. It has come along ways from then to now. If a teacher asks you a question and then you pull out your phone and repaeat that question to SIri, you can come up with an answer with a minute. There are groups of people that want to learn and groups of people that know information can be handed to them be a simple query search to answer a question. They may even argue what is the point of school when everything is at their tip of their tongue, they just need to ask the computer for the answer?

What I am saying is that it may not seem right for the teacher asking these questions, but in no way was it racist to begin with. Not once was there implied any race to astereotype, as if a name declared you a certain race. I am just saying that it is not right to talk this subject matter in a school filled with 13-14 year olds, and yet they are bombarded with this all the time outside of school.

So really, if a teacher resorts to bringing violence and drugs into a math class to gain their attention, what is the real problem? I guarentee this was not his opening quiz on people, his opening quiz likely ended up handed in blank or with pictures of blowjobs and doggystyle pictograms in the letterhead.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The identity of the teacher has not been released. School officials did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

If the teacher was a white female or male we would have gotten a entire photo session to go with the news article already.
10 to 1 that the teacher from Alabama was black him or herself.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoSat, 18 Jun 2016 05:26:16 -05001620166America/Chicago by everyone because: typo

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sometimes

If 80% of the kids deal with prostitutes, or guns, or violence, or drugs in their life and the teacher was trying to get the to do the math using what they knew, where is the problem

It's not PC.

Best to just deal with potato farmers.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

According to the station, the 10-question math quiz was given to eighth-grade students in a language arts class at Burns Middle School. The test, which contains many drug and gang references, appears to have been copied from a fake quiz that is widely available online. Questions included:

Tyrone knocked up 4 girls in his gang. There are 20 girls in the gang. What percentage of the girls in the gang has Tyrone knocked up?

Where do those questions specify race?

They don't but the teacher is white so he's a witch..... error racist.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Default racism.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

This test is racially biased. I have no idea what an "8 ball" is.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
"
edit on 18-6-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

This test is racially biased. I have no idea what an "8 ball" is.

dude you can't say 8 ball, that's racist

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Wow.... This is what the boobtube have turned people into... I'm 29 And if I was given this quiz in one of my math classes I would have cracked up but solved the equation. Sensitive People

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think the whole thing was meant as a joke. Last days of school and all.

After all, why would they be taking a math test in a language arts class?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: subject x
That is exactly what I was thinking....it was a not so tasteful joke by the teacher trying to be the cool teacher

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I taught in an inner-city school. No matter how crude or rude students can be, as a teaching professional, you should never accept or engage students with the same gutter talk. Teachers set the example and model the appropriate behavior in the classroom.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Stupid stupid teacher. What exactly makes this test racist? The names or the situations? Wouldn't that be more reflective of the person reading it and how they view people?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join