It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Demand for KFC Soaring in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
With menu items that few American would recognize, the fast food chain KFC is booming in China. Items like bamboo shoots and lotus root are served alongside the more traditional KFC of the Colonel Harland Sanders fried chicken. The country is already home to 1200 outlets with more planned.

story.news.yahoo.com
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - China's relentless appetite for the colonel's chicken has KFC on a building boom in the world's most populous country, with 1,200 locations, soaring profits and a menu that mixes in bamboo shoots and lotus roots.

At a time when its sales in the United States are struggling, KFC is dominating even rival McDonald's in China and turning the goateed visage of Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Colonel Harland Sanders into a ubiquitous symbol of America.

"We are really positioned as a part of the fabric of life in China," said David Novak, chairman and chief executive of Louisville-based Yum Brands Inc., parent company of KFC.

Yum's operating profits in China exceeded $200 million in 2004 — more than half the company's burgeoning international profits. And the pace of 275 locations opened in the country last year is expected to be matched in 2005.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the beginning of what might become a titanic clash between the hardline communist regime in power with the allure of a free market, consumer based population. In fact executives at the comp[any predict that at some point there will be more outlets in China that in the United States where to company was founded.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Yes US is going to weaken the communist china from withing with all these free market, let's give them high blood pressure and high cholesterol and then US are going to make then Dependant on medications and weight control diets.

Hurrayyyy for free interprise American way.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

With menu items that few American would recognize, the fast food chain KFC is booming in China. Items like bamboo shoots and lotus root are served alongside the more traditional KFC of the Colonel Harland Sanders fried chicken. The country is already home to 1200 outlets with more planned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There goes pandas habitat
Imagine supplying 2 billion people with mcbamboo shoot is going to do to them. I know they already eat bamboo shoots but if maccas has it on their menu, without intensive farming of bamboo to keep it on the menu you can forsee certain consequences.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes US is going to weaken the communist china from withing with all these free market, let's give them high blood pressure and high cholesterol and then US are going to make then Dependant on medications and weight control diets.

Hurrayyyy for free interprise American way.

Wouldn't you rather have the Chinese people decide whether they want to eat whatever they feel like it? If many Americans are fat is their fault, not because of free enterprise... They can choose to eat a lot of different foods which in many countries in the world people can't. The freedom to choose is wonderful isn't it?.... Even if it means freedom to eat fatty foods or healthy ones...

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think is a conspiracy Muaddib a conspiracy to make them fat and Dependant on medications. That is how US is targeting their growing economy and market.

And I am serious about this.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I think is a conspiracy Muaddib a conspiracy to make them fat and Dependant on medications. That is how US is targeting their growing economy and market.

And I am serious about this.

I see...so it is a conspiracy also for Americans to choose to either eat fatty foods or healthy foods... i mean the government is pointing a gun at Americans and making them eat fatty foods only right?...or to drink a six pack and watch sports on tv meanwhile they grow fat instead of doing exercise....

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Imagine supplying 2 billion people with mcbamboo shoot is going to do to them. I know they already eat bamboo shoots but if

Have you ever seen bamboo grow? Its like a weed on steriods. I doubt that the Panda's will be effected.

[edit on 1/16/05 by FredT]

[edit on 1/16/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
lol i bet this can be stopped fast just show them the tread below
and that should change fast.. i wouldnt be surprised why its booming because they like it so much and its US cant get any better then that

Thread

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Imagine supplying 2 billion people with mcbamboo shoot is going to do to them. I know they already eat bamboo shoots but if maccas has it on their menu, without intensive farming of bamboo to keep it on the menu you can forsee certain consequences.

Theres only like a 1000 pandas left in the wild Their habitat was already pretty much gone long before KFC even came to China. I wouldnt bet on Pandas living outside of zoos in the future even without mcbamboo shoot.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Theres only like a 1000 pandas left in the wild Their habitat was already pretty much gone long before KFC even came to China. I wouldnt bet on Pandas living outside of zoos in the future even without mcbamboo shoot.

exactly, but you dont chop down the last tree because theres only one anyway. why speed the process for capitalism?

Have you ever seen bamboo grow? Its like a weed on steriods. I doubt that the Panda's will be effected.

Yes I have. Some species ridiculously fast but not all, which species do Pandas eat Fred? and how fast does that grow?

Atleast after a few decades the chinese can abandon their one child policy, their population will be cut down from heart disease.

[edit on 083131p://20018 by instar]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

I see...so it is a conspiracy also for Americans to choose to either eat fatty foods or healthy foods... i mean the government is pointing a gun at Americans and making them eat fatty foods only right?...or to drink a six pack and watch sports on tv meanwhile they grow fat instead of doing exercise....

Well Muaddib our government does not regulate any fast food industry the attempts at them doing something about it has been slow.

That is why our society is one of the fattest in the world.

Fast food industry is big business.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Well Muaddib our government does not regulate any fast food industry the attempts at them doing something about it has been slow.

That is why our society is one of the fattest in the world.

Fast food industry is big business.

I'm 29 and male, I was brought up on MCDonalds and White Castle, I now eat fast food maybe once a month, I exercise at least every second day and am 5' 8" weigh 130 pounds. I have never been over 140. People who are intelligent know that eating value sized giant burgermeals everyday is going to make them fat. Others ignore the risk and do it anyway and get fat. How is it a conspiracy and why should the govt. regulate the fast food industry? It is a product just like alcohol or candy in that it is a guilty pleasure, not to be abused. What regulation would you suggest? Maybe for people to have a card to punch every time they eat fast food and when its over a certain amount they get refused service? Of course not.

If anything there needs to be more food and nutritional education in school from an early age and parents need to reinforce healthy eating habits. Even though I was brought up that way I am intelligent enough to make wise food choices and am healthy because of it. The govt can help by educating and other than that it is the parents and then the individuals responsibility to eat right. I have many friends and they are the same way, if there was maybe something in the food to make people eat it like crazy wouldn't we all be affected?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veltro
I'm 29 and male, I was brought up on MCDonalds and White Castle, I now eat fast food maybe once a month, I exercise at least every second day and am 5' 8" weigh 130 pounds. I have never been over 140. People who are intelligent know that eating value sized giant burgermeals everyday is going to make them fat. Others ignore the risk and do it anyway and get fat. How is it a conspiracy and why should the govt. regulate the fast food industry? It is a product just like alcohol or candy in that it is a guilty pleasure, not to be abused. What regulation would you suggest? Maybe for people to have a card to punch every time they eat fast food and when its over a certain amount they get refused service? Of course not.

Here we have finally somebody that takes responsibility "for his own actions".....what a concept huh Marg?

Veltro, I am with ya man.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I could really go for some of em honey bbq wings, this thread only made me hungry!

KFC taking over France? now there I would have a problem because French cuisine is known for being one of the best, but China? what do the Chinese eat? well, from watching the discovery channel they eat some things that would make most people wanna puke! sorry I don't go for roasted rat meat, snake eyes, bull testicle soup, or hot dogs (literally)

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well, it won't be long till some politburo member has KFC outlawed and steals the recipe to open his own chain of chicken places

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
i agree. KFC's recipe will probably be stolen and then the person who stole it will be arrested for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrisamatic
i agree. KFC's recipe will probably be stolen and then the person who stole it will be arrested for a very long time.

What delusions are you living with?

If that happened, no one would lift a finger against a party boss.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Simple solution to the panda problem, have KFC breed pandas for thier menu.
Have you ever noticed the only species that aren't endagered are those we find useful for either food, or materials?
Gators were endagered in florida and louisana for a while, untill we started farming them, now they aren't.
The easiest way to protect a species is to turn it into a foodsource.

new topics

top topics

join