It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hypersonic design fails..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Some of the work that has been done to create a new viable hypersonic platform has ended in disaster here in Australia..Scientists and engineers here when the test failed were heard to say "Ooohhh Bugger"..

Work has now restarted on proper flying thingies (HiFire) and other platforms to get things a lot closer to being aerodynamically stable in a hypersonic enviroment..
edit on 17-6-2016 by Blackfinger because: Link fixed

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
originally posted by: Blackfinger

Edit: I didn't know star destroyers were intended to be aerodynamic.
edit on 17-6-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yup. Aren't they, like, "in space" where there is no atmosphere?

Nice try, though.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: intrptr

Yup. Aren't they, like, "in space" where there is no atmosphere?

Nice try, though.

Derp, more like a shock front than reentry.

In either case, don't they have 'shields'?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I'm a terminally ignorant layman on such things . . .

but the supports it was suspended by looked to me to be utterly stupid for the task intended.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Know what happened?

A bunch of insecure morons with tiny manhoods hired their other insecure college friends instead of qualified engineers and the bad managers yawned all day while bad engineers with the right degree from the right liberal brainwashing university had bad ideas and his bad engineer buddies worked day and night to implement those bad ideas under little to no leadership and wasted billions of dollars because they have no oversight from the corrupt government.

All this so some asshat who owns the contracting companies could make big bucks and some politician gave a speech for 9 billion dollars.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

but the supports it was suspended by looked to me to be utterly stupid for the task intended.

The models are designed for free fall into the Mach 6 airflow so the suspension wires are quick release.
Also

Published on Jun 17, 2016 I'm doing my PhD in Aerospace Engineering at UNSW Canberra. My research area is free flight of 3D printed hypersonic vehicles. I was curious what would happen to Star Destroyer travelling at 6 times the speed of sound. The video visualises the flow and allows you to see shock waves generated by the model. If you're interested to know more, check out my research papers: arc.aiaa.org... arc.aiaa.org... The wind tunnel is property of the University of Southern Queensland. Thanks to Dr Choudhury for running the test. Thingiverse model of Star Destroyer: www.thingiverse.com...:12572 Let me know in the comments what else you want me to fly!

The facility has the ability to test fly various Hypersonic designs quickly using 3D printed airframes.At moment they are trying to find the right material for the prints to stay together.To look more into what Australias doing look here..
Centre for Hypersonics
Research papers.
Free Flight in Hypersonics

Measuring Vehicle Stability
edit on 18-6-2016 by Blackfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Spacecraft don't have to be aerodynamic though. It's a pointless exercise. There is no "fluid" to cause resistance or friction in space so there would be no reason to design something that weighs millions of tons to fly at Mach 6 in the atmosphere. Do y'all really not have anything better to do? Are you the one that hates the B-21 because it isn't uber-fast.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonofaSkunk
I don't get it.

Did you order it?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I think some people here are missing the humour value of this test. You know...fun.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Out of every failure is a lesson and a step towards an accomplishment.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I always thought the Mon Calamari capitol ships were more aerodynamic fro buzzing the generals daughter.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
People in this thread, after seeing a 3D-printed star wars figurine get destroyed for kicks in a M6 wind tunnel:

"Uhhhhhh don't they know that when real star destroyers travel through deep space they don't encounter air shock waves??? SMH
"
edit on 21-6-2016 by wirehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I still don't get it.

new topics

top topics

join