It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien megastructure star "KIC8462852" kickstarter just met its goal

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Good point, maybe self-replicating technology?

The star was first observed in 1890 and now they're saying over the past 100 years the star has dimmed by 20%. Scientist are arguing that it's not an astronomical event but changes in camera technology. Now they are saying the luminosity changes every 750 days, there won't be an opportunity till Spring/early Summer of next year to view the mystery again.

I'm kind of wondering why can't it be 15 Jupiters that orbit this Sun? Simplest answer right?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

If they are energy vacuum... then the artist rendition I posted has the particulate trails or "tails" aimed in the wrong direction away instead of towards in extraction.
edit on 19-6-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: constant_thought
a reply to: Orionx2

I'm not following you, this is one of the steps in between. You're not going to use billions of dollars to send an exotic form of ship that doesn't yet exist to a location when no further research has been done.

This is $100,000 that people are happy to pay for any further study into Tabby's star. Do you really think $100,000 will do anything if we put it towards research into alternative forms of travel? With this extremely low level of funding there is no better option to choose if the focus is on finding out more about Tabby's star.

This year alone will be enough to figure out if it is a comet swarm or something more peculiar. This research wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for the current theory's being so far from concrete that it is still wet cement.

There is no research....

"there won't be an opportunity till Spring/early Summer of next year to view the mystery again."

Why does some obscure astrophysicist need $100,000 for a years worth of study if it can only be seen intermittently.

And what do you think $100,000 would prove? Nothing. Just gets her through another year. Seriously...

Post back in this thread in 1 year from now and see what has changed...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You're comparing a natural event to a technological event. Technology mostly only progresses (unless doom) whereas the workings of the universe are relatively stable (albeit greatly undiscovered).

Granted, massive comet swarms could very well be a thing and more commonplace than we assume, but just because you can't envision the technology to harvest materials it doesn't mean it's not possible.

Dare I raise "what if you were to take an iphone back to the middle ages?", or perhaps more apt a Bucket-wheel excavator. And that's only going back ~1000 years. If this is a dyson sphere (which I highly doubt it is) they would be hundreds of thousands of times more advanced than we are to the populace during the middle ages
edit on 19/6/2016 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: constant_thought

I wonder where the materials would come from. To even refine a belt one mile wide one foot thick and install it around the thickest part of the star would be how many millions of tons of material. Then the energy needed to create and instsll a mile wide belt? How wide would it have to be to bolck even 1 percent of the light? I am not talking about the technology but the amount of material. Wouldn't a web of material be much more efficient than a wall of material? A would think a web structure would not block much light? It still would give you millions of square feet of surface area to gather energy?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Sorry double post.
edit on 19-6-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

Good point, maybe self-replicating technology?

The star was first observed in 1890 and now they're saying over the past 100 years the star has dimmed by 20%. Scientist are arguing that it's not an astronomical event but changes in camera technology. Now they are saying the luminosity changes every 750 days, there won't be an opportunity till Spring/early Summer of next year to view the mystery again.

I'm kind of wondering why can't it be 15 Jupiters that orbit this Sun? Simplest answer right?

Or a dwarf star orbiting the star as a binary system, but ALIENS!!!! draws more money from suckers or as called here, donors.
Crowd funding....just another scam to keep the wheels greased.

Fund Me or Fraud Me? Crowdfunding Scams Are on the Rise

www.consumerreports.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

And what do you think $100,000 would prove?

$100,000 won't prove anything other than amateur astronomers have an interest in discovering what is going on with this star , the $100,000 will buy telescope time.

a reply to: TinfoilTP

Or a dwarf star orbiting the star as a binary system, but ALIENS!!!! draws more money from suckers or as called here, donors.

There was never a “claim” that the data was due to an alien megastructure around the star – only that it is an exceptional target to pursue. While possible, the interpretation is still not probable. One of the main arguments against this is that this object does not have the tell tale sign of an advanced civilization that SETI sources should have: a excess of heat, or glow in the infrared.
www.52-insights.com...

Crowd funding....just another scam to keep the wheels greased.

Or a means to an end , depends how you choose to look at it.

We are currently monitoring the star with the LCOGT, and we are working with their staff to set up a custom data pipeline to streamline the data reduction and analysis (its coming together nicely - we cant wait to share!).

The observations YOU HELPED MAKE HAPPEN will begin by the end of this summer. We will send an notice (to all backers) with details. Please feel free to message us with any questions or concerns you might have. We get a lot of messages, but will do our best at responding in a timely manner. We would also like to take a moment to express our deepest gratitude to the staff at the LCOGT observatory. Their support embodies the global collaboration required for a project like this to be successful. All the best, Tabby, and the entire WTF team
www.kickstarter.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Maybe convert the energy of the star to material? Never seen equations to convert energy into a specific element? Would still have to work the created material in to useful devices? Is the amount of energy in efficient and justified at creating a pound of material?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Maybe convert the energy of the star to material? Never seen equations to convert energy into a specific element? Would still have to work the created material in to useful devices? Is the amount of energy in efficient and justified at creating a pound of material?

Einstein was convinced it was possible to convert energy to matter
So perhaps a advance civilization would indeed use stars as a source of building material.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

With this attitude we would go nowhere. This may lead to nothing but our greatest discoveries have come from our ambition to know the unknown.

We need to take steps forward.... regardless of how far that one step takes us.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

That already happens through charge sawps and affinities creating various sorts of waves that identify the matter involved... blackholes gather these conglmomerates and release the engery and the matter becomes accredation in a rinse release repeat cycle.

The size of these systems occuring vary greatly... the planck has the enery to suck our attention to it even being so small and the blackhole the same. The energy is thought containing matter as a conceptual subject and just as intangible to harness without some control attempting to do so.

So our attempt of energy to control matter being matter and energy already bound together is the same sort of loop or process... whats the difference? Well the matter or gravity we give any of this... even when it isnt what it is but yet think it to be called conception or creation itself.

Or making something from nothing, by attaching a label on something impermanent and transitory and always subject to change on observation when one does not become subject to it or stuck in such conceptual bubbles.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Be so interested to see where this goes!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Season 3 Episode 6 - Not a Glimmer of an Idea

For those who doubt, or those who care, the above link includes an interview with Bradley Schaefer (PhD LSU). From around the 30 minute mark he spends less than 10 minutes explaining what the objectives are for hiring the telescope time.

He explains it all in terms most of us can easily understand - no jargon.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear it. More than likely it isn't a sphere, but there is something happening we've never seen before, so looking into it regardless of reason is important. All I've learned from this is that they initially put "asteroids" as the reason, but none of them actually believe it lol. The chances of that many asteroids passing by that planet this frequently is just as low on the pole as aliens.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2
Although I find this interesting, I do not see the point. They already decided it is probably asteroids.. And why not raise money to find ways to accomplish light speed instead? Even if it is a dyson spear or whatever, what does it really matter? Not like we will ever get there...

This isn't personal and I am honestly not trying to hurt feelings because I found it humorous, but that is one of the most ignorant things I have read in a long time.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Although I find this interesting, I do not see the point. They already decided it is probably asteroids.. And why not raise money to find ways to accomplish light speed instead? Even if it is a dyson spear or whatever, what does it really matter? Not like we will ever get there...

This isn't personal and I am honestly not trying to hurt feelings because I found it humorous, but that is one of the most ignorant things I have read in a long time.

Really.... so NASA studied this for 4+ YEARS already, Seti has studied it and the best minds in the world have concluded it is not aliens yet somehow $100,000 for some telescope time, from a hardly known yale astrophysicist, over a year is somehow going to be more conclusive and solve the mystery???? Yea, I am ignorant calling out that idiots are easily parted from their money when "aliens" are thrown around.

Yea, my logic will get us nowhere ? I said let's spend our time and money on useful stuff like light speed travel and better technology so we can actually prove what's out there. What a crazy ignorant line of thinking. My bad.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

And what do you think $100,000 would prove? Nothing. Just gets her through another year. Seriously...

Wrap it up everyone, astronomy funding only goes to employing astronomers to do astronomy. Shut it all down!

Oh and spend the money to instead invent these ideas I saw in a sci-fi TV show which I am convinced must be possible.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

One of the things I hate the most is when people Fisk someone's post.

so NASA studied this for 4+ YEARS already,

No they haven't.

Seti has studied it

After it was publicised by 'Tabby' and spotted by the 'citizen science' guys.

the best minds in the world have concluded it is not aliens

Do you mean astronomers? Not one has ever said it was aliens.

yet somehow $100,000 for some telescope time, from a hardly known yale astrophysicist, over a year is somehow going to be more conclusive and solve the mystery????

Take your lazy ass to the link I posted here and spend under ten minutes to learn why it could be 'more conclusive' and 'solve the mystery.'

Yea, I am ignorant calling out that idiots are easily parted from their money when "aliens" are thrown around.

You are genuinely ignorant on this topic. Almost clueless. Lacking any evidence of having read anything on the subject.

Yea, my logic will get us nowhere ?

Don't slur logic by association. Your 'logic' will literally 'get us nowhere.' If it helps, your logic has made you joint first for the most ill-informed comments in the thread.

I said let's spend our time and money on useful stuff like light speed travel and better technology so we can actually prove what's out there.

That 100k pays the observatories that are run by organisations who support the research of scientists that work on technology. Some of them might even work on 'light speed travel.' They can't 'prove what's out there' without looking first and using telescope time to find whatever you think is waiting to be proven. This is what the Kickstarter is all about.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Oh you figured it out, it's a binary system! Wow! Pretty crazy that the astronomers who have studied this star never even considered that possibility, even though it's so obvious it even occurs to an anti-intellectual layperson who thought about the thing for like 10 minutes. You really ought to get in touch with the astronomers, they'll be happy to know that this star actually isn't completely unprecedented. I'm sure they'd like to know where their binary system lightcurve analysis broke down.

Oh you might also suggest they revise their paper wherein they ruled out that possibility...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join