It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien megastructure star "KIC8462852" kickstarter just met its goal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

There is to much belief in that this star could change humanity, it cant, furthermore it wont..

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

There is to much belief in that this star could change humanity, it cant, furthermore it wont..

Ok, then move along. No one asked you to donate or make any effort on it whatsoever. Buddhist monks sitting at the top of mountains in Tibet aren't going to change humanity either, and no one's asking you to trek off there and join them either.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I am rather curious if we can find out anything more. While it would be cool to be "HOly hell it is Aliens!" looking with a more logical mind probably some phenomenon we don't know about or something. None the less I hope we can get some cool legit info on it eventually.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Fine, then we should be focusing on warp drives and star gates

At this time we can barely get people to Mars , warp drives and star gates may be available in the far future but until then I think observation is our best bet for discovering what is going on with KIC 8462852.

I don't think we have gotten anyone to Mars yet...and that's because nobody in their right mind would want to spend 6 months in a spaceship and left for dead on that awful planet. Heck, by the time you get there, a warp drive could have been invented. I wouldn't want to be the guy to make that call to the astronaut...."hey thanks for taking all that time to travel to mars but we just invented a warp drive and besides we thought you were dead anywayz". No thank you. our best bet is to wait for warp drives to be invented...and then we can see if its a giant spear or asteroids...its probably asteroids anyway so the whole point is lost. maybe you are right, but it would be a lot cooler to see a giant spear in person, I don't know.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Then how about some switch to reality, im pretty sure "Stars" like KIC existed before, its just the first time observing it..

You have millions of stars out there lurking in the night sky, what seperates this from the others? A gigantic dip?
This is about Tabby and her faith..

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Then how about some switch to reality, im pretty sure "Stars" like KIC existed before, its just the first time observing it..

You have millions of stars out there lurking in the night sky, what seperates this from the others? A gigantic dip?
This is about Tabby and her faith..

You not understanding it does not make it unworthy of study. I doubt whether you understand the computer you're typing on enough to build it from scratch, but someone in the world can, because they took the time to work on it.
edit on 18-6-2016 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Neat project... it'll be nice if it works, and its pretty cool that it's based off of the hypothetical driving some innovation as hey the hypothetical is a form of brainstorming possibility... that's certainly a driving force in creativity and innovation.

TBH Looks like some sort of orbiting objects with no electro magnetic field(s) to prevent solar winds from blasting their surface particulate away whatever the particulate matter these close orbit objects is... is blocking the light.

So what the particulate is could likely be figured out with spectrometers. Comets when orbiting our Sun make a tail... they are typically icy and reflect or refract or bend light pretty good. So its likely these are not icy but some other sort or icy but just very very muddy as they get their particulate blasted away.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I rather place my faith on a star changing humanity, than humanity changing itself!

We can always hope that giving more money to corrupt charities will eventually lead to a breakthrough in cancer reseach. Then, we can all live much longer lives, overpopulate the planet and eventually have ww3.

At least if we know other beings exist in the universe, we may be able to see beyond our human divisions and advance our race.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Whoa....

Its private peoples money, its not coming out of your pocket, they can do as they like..

Focusing on the planet is way cheaper than attempting to fund light speed travel, to be honest you would need a bottomless pit of cash for that and in the end it won't change the fact WE as living beings cannot survive it, the costing on that alone is just incredible..

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

People paid a 100k to observe a "Star" acting out of the ordinary, wow.. Sell those dreams

It's called human curiosity. We' re kinda big on that.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Fine, then we should be focusing on warp drives and star gates

At this time we can barely get people to Mars , warp drives and star gates may be available in the far future but until then I think observation is our best bet for discovering what is going on with KIC 8462852.

I don't think we have gotten anyone to Mars yet...and that's because nobody in their right mind would want to spend 6 months in a spaceship and left for dead on that awful planet. Heck, by the time you get there, a warp drive could have been invented. I wouldn't want to be the guy to make that call to the astronaut...."hey thanks for taking all that time to travel to mars but we just invented a warp drive and besides we thought you were dead anywayz". No thank you. our best bet is to wait for warp drives to be invented...and then we can see if its a giant spear or asteroids...its probably asteroids anyway so the whole point is lost. maybe you are right, but it would be a lot cooler to see a giant spear in person, I don't know.

How long do you think it takes to get to Mars?

....and you think a "warp" drive will be designed and built in that time?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

a reply to: schuyler

The funds are to rent telescope time

You mean a big radio receiver?

Ever heard of a Radio Telescope, smartass?

AM or FM?

Do they know how far away the blockage is from that sun?

The scientists just knows the star dims, right?

So they don't know if there is a solid structure blocking a portion of it?

I think they ruled out swarms of stuff, lol, I said stuff.

It would be interesting if they figure it out.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Have we given this star a proper name yet (apart from the tech-jargon KIC8462852)????

ETA: i propose the name "New Zion"

edit on 2016-06-19T09:22:57-05:00201606bam3006am5730 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2
Although I find this interesting, I do not see the point. They already decided it is probably asteroids.. And why not raise money to find ways to accomplish light speed instead? Even if it is a dyson spear or whatever, what does it really matter? Not like we will ever get there...

Accomplishing light speed travel requires a infinite amount of energy so we would need to invent a infinite source of energy that can also produce this energy instantly first. I would say simply impossible but if you would want to argue it i would say it is at the outer edge of reality. Observing this celestial body on the other hand is very doable in a realistic capacity and with the potential of confirming alien life i would say that should matter a lot for obvious reasons.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Good good stuff.

It's definitely aliens

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

How long do you think it takes to get to Mars?

um...6 months?

....and you think a "warp" drive will be designed and built in that time?

and you know how long it would take to develop a warp drive? If they build a time accelerator first, it might only take a day or two. think about it.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

This is awesome, I've been excited for news regarding this star since the first news stories started popping-up.

I'll definitely donate some to the kickstarter.
edit on 19-6-2016 by LordSatan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Since energy cannot be created or destroyed... it can only change form or into the matter in which it harnesses such potiential.

People are simply looking at various ways to harness such with the most potiential... some might say thats us, but the future is that potiential how we effect change on it? Of course makes all the difference in the formation of matter that binds such energy. Positive or negative has much more to do with that than account balances, although not everyone agrees with that hence the conumdrum we as humanity currently face... are we looking back trying to check all the baggage we can to bring forward or just moving forward?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

People paid a 100k to observe a "Star" acting out of the ordinary, wow.. Sell those dreams

Strange how people find value in the pursuit of knowledge. You seem to have some absurd bias regarding the study of this star.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Have we given this star a proper name yet (apart from the tech-jargon KIC8462852)????

ETA: i propose the name "New Zion"

New Zion I like that.. you should forward that to NASA asap.

Krypton would also be to my liking

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join