It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien megastructure star "KIC8462852" kickstarter just met its goal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Cool stuff! We are a species of explorers and it's nice to see enough people supported the vision.

Keep us posted please!
Subscribed

OT: Pretty sure if you built a Dyson Dome over the Fukushima Nuclear Plant we could power the world. There are three burning suns in the ground there. Good place to start anyway.

edit on 17-6-2016 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
"Astronomers have raised $100,000 via Kickstarter to observe KIC 8462852, or Tabby’s Star, sometimes called the most mysterious star in the universe."

earthsky.org...

Seems this is already done. So no need to debate its insanity.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

We have thousands of gifted people but you cant make a story into reality, it will always be a story.. We have "so to speak" seven basic plots.. Its some twisted men who thinks building a world of imagination is marvelous cause a monkey learned how to speak, write and dress himself.. If a "Star" behaves differently, could it be because this world is really full of s#.. I love stories, it captivates me..

But i can make a difference between a story and reality..

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I bet its the same people who made steven grier and his alike goons rich.

Didnt Scientists already dispel that fantasy.

Next is the documentary DVD of the team behind it [availabe for 9.99$ or on itunes soon] and a couple of books later released to provide "proof" of the "likelihood" of a "mega structure by aliens" . And 2 years later, a book and dvd companion
explaining that they didnt mean it "was or could be" an alien mega structure, just the thought was interesting.

And hopefully ats is still up, and ill be there to make fun of the people who made scammers rich (again).

People never learn. It entertains me.

It baffles me why people think an advance race wouldnt look to utilize LESS energy as they evolve as opposed to needing the power of a sun to power ? ? Huh?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Really? There is NO WAY to prove it is alien structure without actually going there. That is why they should be focusing on light speed travel.

KIC 8462852 is 1500 light years away , light speed isn't fast enough.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Orionx2

Although I find this interesting, I do not see the point. They already decided it is probably asteroids.. And why not raise money to find ways to accomplish light speed instead? Even if it is a dyson spear or whatever, what does it really matter? Not like we will ever get there...

I simply do not understand the pessimism here. It's a "Dyson Sphere," not a "spear," and if it IS a Dyson Sphere, then, however improbable it sounds, that means a very advanced civilization. They did NOT "decide it was probably asteroids." The money raised is from private individuals interested in the project and is a modest $100K, hardly enough to affect research into "'light speed," which is a completely different issue anyway. And it's not necessary to "get there" to retrieve data. "Getting there" is not the goal of this project. Retrieving additional data is.

It's an exciting project with great upside potential. I look forward to further reports. I had heard the reports of Tabby's Star, of course, but this vid gave a lot more information I did not know. I hadn't realized the entire thing was the result of "citizen astronomers" finding this data rather than the result of some official project. That is just awesome all by itself. Thanks for posting.

No, it is not exciting. They will prove absolutely nothing. There is no way with our current tech to prove aliens. The only way to prove it is to go there. This is nothing more than a away to make someone some money so they don't have to get a real job.

That is completely absurd. Good Lord! Nobody is "making money" on this deal. The funds are to rent telescope time, which doesn't come free. My Goodness the ignorant Debbie Downers on this thread are trolling a perfectly good discussion. Either that or they're 12 years old.

The internet strikes again.

This line sums up the reasons for the Kickstarter:

Today, there is still no widely accepted theory to what is behind this star’s strange behavior.
Kickstarter (closed)

It's that simple. They've found a main sequence star whose brightness changes in ways that haven't been seen anywhere else before. Although the internet is a mixture of 'meh,' "it's aliens" and 'comet swarms,' the scientists are still uncertain and what better reason for a citizen-funded programme to find the answer?

All that aside, I think you'll enjoy this podcast. It's hosted by a scientist and has interviews with 'Tabby' as well as Schaefer.

Wow Signal Podcast 1

The Wow Signal Podcst 2

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The guys who've been studying the star have never said 'aliens.' It's a normal star, but it's brightness dims for unpredictable periods of time. The dimming is equivalent to more than 15 Jupiters passing across our own sun and is currently unique.

There isn't a model that currently explains how or why the brightness dims. The 'comet swarm' idea isn't considered strong because it's hard to explain how enough comets (more than 15 Jupiters in size) could be passing by at irregular periods.

I listened to an interview with the discoverer, Tabetha S. Boyajian, last month. One of the main things they want to do is keep 'eyes on' KIC and live-capture the dimming whilst refracting the light. By refracting the light, they'll gather enough information to rule out some explanations and, maybe, reveal the definitive explanation for what's happening.

They 100% are not 'scammers.' They're genuine, reputable scientists who've found something deeply curious.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Awesome!
That's how we should use kickstarters! Instead of "pay me for filming my own face for 4:30"!
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Although I find this interesting, I do not see the point. They already decided it is probably asteroids.. And why not raise money to find ways to accomplish light speed instead? Even if it is a dyson spear or whatever, what does it really matter? Not like we will ever get there...

I simply do not understand the pessimism here. It's a "Dyson Sphere," not a "spear," and if it IS a Dyson Sphere, then, however improbable it sounds, that means a very advanced civilization. They did NOT "decide it was probably asteroids." The money raised is from private individuals interested in the project and is a modest $100K, hardly enough to affect research into "'light speed," which is a completely different issue anyway. And it's not necessary to "get there" to retrieve data. "Getting there" is not the goal of this project. Retrieving additional data is.

It's an exciting project with great upside potential. I look forward to further reports. I had heard the reports of Tabby's Star, of course, but this vid gave a lot more information I did not know. I hadn't realized the entire thing was the result of "citizen astronomers" finding this data rather than the result of some official project. That is just awesome all by itself. Thanks for posting.

No, it is not exciting. They will prove absolutely nothing. There is no way with our current tech to prove aliens. The only way to prove it is to go there. This is nothing more than a away to make someone some money so they don't have to get a real job.

That is completely absurd. Good Lord! Nobody is "making money" on this deal. The funds are to rent telescope time, which doesn't come free. My Goodness the ignorant Debbie Downers on this thread are trolling a perfectly good discussion. Either that or they're 12 years old.

My bet is 12 year olds .

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Really? There is NO WAY to prove it is alien structure without actually going there. That is why they should be focusing on light speed travel.

KIC 8462852 is 1500 light years away , light speed isn't fast enough.

Fine, then we should be focusing on warp drives and star gates....but it would really suck if we spent all that time and money only to find out it was just asteroids and not giant spears.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Maybe its an actual "ringworld" or "halo"....or at least the makings of one.
edit on 18-6-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18-6-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Fine, then we should be focusing on warp drives and star gates

At this time we can barely get people to Mars , warp drives and star gates may be available in the far future but until then I think observation is our best bet for discovering what is going on with KIC 8462852.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Bunch of pessimistic freidycats most of you...

Seriously, go yada yada on something else...

This, is cool.. They ACTUALLY do something
to find out WHAT the "weirdness" is about..

You who try to mock them, yea... Im not gonna
go there....

Have fun...

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Im just curious why do they need 100 000 when there have been more paramount scientific or astronomical studies not requiring 'donations' of hundres thousands... i wonder what kept them from asking 1000000 if the price is 'justified' according to some here... somehow its justified.
They should donate that to [insert cause trying to save millions of humans today]

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Short answer cos I'm on my fone. There's a global telescope network they want to use.

Unfortunately these observatories cost money to run and there's a queue of teams, organizations etc who want to use them too.

the 100k is hoping to pay for enough time to keep eyes on KIC continuously.

I get your point about saving lives, but that's not the job of astronomers or the ordinary folk who pledged $. There's probably a 100k down the back of America's collective sofas and in pockets of old jeans.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Fair points.

But they are already hoping its a dyson sphere looking at their site, theyre already dismissing scientific methods stating possibilities of what were observing, do you think this is being sensationalized to fit a 'fantasy'.
Theyre already going in thinking its a sphere by an advanced race sucking up their sun's energy, and completely dismissing the likehood of such case to happen to an advanced civilization. Do you think their findings will be a bit biased and eventually they will need better intrumentations to continue their studies...
Be honest. No scientist should deduce what they want to find before finding it. "Were going to keep an eye on that probable dyson sphere" , what dyson sphere? [Based on a sci. Fi novel]

Why dont they try to study why it COULDNT be a dyson sphere first... find more pragmatic theories, you know, scientific methods of all possibilities before concluding what it probably is. and if it all fails go the way of scifi and see if its a race so advanced, that they would choose to harness unimaginable energy as oppose to not having a need to harness unimaginable energy to power some unimaginable planet with unimaginable needs...

Its ok. Ill be monitoring this 'study' closely just for the lols.
Which im almost certain many in the scientific community will be doing.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Honestly, they're not saying what it is because they don't know. I've been reading their papers and listening to all sides in interviews.

Go back in the thread and give one of my links a listen.

It's science at its best. It's also citizen science that got them this far. If the interviews don't set a fire in your imagination I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

That is ridiculous but it doesn't matter. The goal has been met and research will continue. Oh and by the way, she's an ASTROPHYSICIST. She has a job.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
People paid a 100k to observe a "Star" acting out of the ordinary, wow.. Sell those dreams

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The anti-intellectualism in this thread is absolutely rancid. Do you people understand that this money isn't, like, being taken out of a poor person's pocket, or embezzled from a hospital. People who want to know about the star donated money to a project that is going to find out about the star. If you don't want to find out about the star, keep working and staring at the ground for the rest of your life until you die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join