It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IP network cameras susceptable to monitoring via google links!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In New Scientist this week there was a wee snippet remarking about a 'flaw', though not quite, regarding those network IP cameras you can get.

It talked about a website www.boingboing.net... which published some info on this. Basically you can type a 'string' into Google and it instantly comes up with 100s or even 1000s of network connected video cameras you can access. These range from cameras monitoring workplaces, homes, roads, etc anything really! Seurity cameras you name it!
You type in different 'strings' depending on the make and type of camera you look for.
I know
someone who has actually seen offices, factories, road monitoring systems, people's drives/gardens, CCTV rooms (that's actually set up so people can view the security room remotely!)! and much much more....

Not only that, on some of them you actually have facilities to pan, tilt and zoom in and out!

Now I don't know exactly how the law stands on this, but as you are not really hacking I don't think there is anything illegal about it. How do you know that the person owning the cam doesn't want it to be freely accessible? In fact some of them are clearly meant to be!
As there are security features built into them so that access is restricted through a variety of ways, ie passwords, IP ranges, etc.. It is down to the owner to restrict access! The problem is, literally thousands of people are rather lazy and don't bother setting up the security!

On another note, from the website I mentioned earlier it links to another website which is mainly devoted to what you can find out with google. I have only looked briefy but it seems to be full of a large number of 'flaws' which enable people to access remote printers, devices, read passwords and user names, access portals and all sorts of things.

This immediately brings to mind two things -

1) We need to seriously think about on-line security in a wide range of areas and remain vigelant at all times.
2) If the normal layman can access things like this without even technically doing anything which is breaking the law (I think), what can people do if they really put their mind to it?

If the Moderators say it's OK, I will link more specifically to some of the information, but I was'nt sure if it would infringe on board rules in some way? Don't hold your breath though because I'm tired and going to sleep soon, so it might not be until tomorrow!

[edit on 16-1-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this about a week ago:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is pretty cool to be able to view all of those cameras.

[edit on 16-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I do apologise!
Incidently, 'my friend' also just found a four screen page of Stuttgart airport security cameras - worrying...

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yeah we were talking about this a while ago preety fun if you like watching that kind of stuff (i do) someones gonna lock thread cause it was already discussed

[edit on 16-1-2005 by ShadowMan]

top topics

join