It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Turtle and a Woodchuck Introduce Themselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The other day we had a very welcome "microburst" storm that drenched our yards, and took down a tree up the block. Then day before yesterday our back-yard neighbor's very large, standing deadwood elm fell over while I was out shopping......

earlier that same day (in the meantime between the storm and the neighbor's tree) a box turtle wandered through our yard (I was doing early morning landscaping work - outside by first light) and today a woodchuck (marmot, groundhog) was hanging about. I wonder if maybe the tree was a sort of home-base for both of them.

I got some good footage of the woodchuck - it seemed totally unbothered by our presence. Just sat looking at us. I read that they are easily tamed and get used to people, are not aggressive, and dig burrows as deep as six feet that can stretch for 45 feet or more, with several entrances. I think maybe that tree, which came out of the ground - more like fell over at the base, like a bowling pin - was home to some very disoriented long-term residents.

It's fun. I went out to look at the base of the tree and noticed there were ripe blackberries - about a pint. I picked them, and ate half of them on my way back to the house.....

Maybe I'll figure out how to upload vids and share the first personal visit from "Chuck."

Or not.

edit on 6/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: timeline confusion....

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I mean, it's not fun for them, I'm sure. But it's kinda cool to have wildlife roaming around. Couple of weeks ago neighbor and Mr Wigs were both outside and a pair of deer hopped the perimeter fences and ran off toward the north....where within 100 yards there is undisturbed native deciduous forest among the river bluffs.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Maybe I'll figure out how to upload vids and share the first personal visit from "Chuck."

Aww Buzzy!

Do it, please.

It sounds like fun!

edit on 17-6-2016 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think I love you Buzzy

You just sound awesome and a lot like my wife
She looks at the world very similar to you.

I have a great picture of you and your yard in my head. And yes, my wife is reading this too

I am jealous of your rain. We have not had any in a couple months. I just came in from watering again.

Pretty harsh right now for some of my more sensitive plants.

link   

Well Done Laddy... Well Done.

Chuck & T-Boogie may be in need of your assistance.

link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

okay, I'm trying to upload it to youtube - first video upload ever. We'll see how it goes....only 4% done so far....."20 minutes remaining"

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Yeah, the dogs alerted us to a front-yard presence...I looked out and saw the woodchuck. Went outside to see - then came back in to get the camera, and when I went back out, it was still there......
vid is now only 13% uploaded.

Would this go faster if I synced or something? I have an android....

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Cant wait to see it.

Do a quick scan of your yard too if you ever feel so inclined.

OK, back to work, have to go re-prime my well pump.....

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

You'll see plenty of it in the vid.....

edit on 6/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
60 seconds remaining.......hope I can figure out whether it got uploaded or not!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
OMG I think I did it!!!!!

Yep! That's the tree in the still shot there that I think he or she might have lived under and hung out in....fell plumb over.

Oh, and Mr Wigs had brought with him an aluminum baseball bat, just in case it charged us all Cujo and crap......

since the episode, I've done my research: Marmot; woodchuck; ground hog; whistle pig; ground squirrel.

It made no whistley alarm noise, nor did it charge us or froth or foam.....

hmmm..........

I say he or she can stay as long as the manners stay in order.
So - that vid shows the sideyard adjacent to the churchyard - and behind the garage.

We have lots of piles of detritus because we did extensive tree work and brush-clearing over the winter and spring.
We're only allowed to burn brush at certain times of year...although we get to have campfires whenever.
Cool neighborhood, all in all.
Hear how quiet it is?

I'm very proud of me right now. I feel like a social media girl.....lol!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Hurry...My pump is just about re-primed too.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Cute lil' feller. Definitely not very afraid of you guys.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

i love the wildlife of our area. Since im officially 'in town' i don't get the deer and what not (although they will wander through from time to time). because im adjoining a state park on my property, and live in an addition that is more like "ranch estates" than a neighborhood, the majority of the area is as rough as it gets. Deep ravines, sharply rising hills, thick cactus and brambles, thick mesquite....the dove and quail love it. We have an enormous amount of both that use our property as their feeding ground. Mockingbirds, cardinals, bluejays, mexican jays, several finches and sparrows, and a gorgeous oriole (one of the more aggressive birds) all frequent the garden. Along with the hummingbirds, the star of our show.

We have gecko's that live on our back and front porch, gorging themselves on the moths. That is fun to watch on a casual friday night.

There are ring tailed cats, possums, raccoons, and prairie dogs that will be in the area from time to time. Along with some turkeys.

Even more rare are hogs and deer, since we are physically in the middle of town. but they will occasion through.

For birds of prey we have owls and golden eagles. I like to watch the golden eagles on the edge of town. Three or 4 will perch on the high power lines, watching over this enormous field surrounded by brush land. They take turns swooping down on poor, wretched furries. We also have buzzards and turkey vultures both. Most frequent are buzzards.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Right??

Yep, a couple of years ago there was a golden eagle hanging around....we're so close to the river that they come over here often.
We have hummingbirds, robins, grackels, mockingbirds, crows, sparrows, titmice, wild turkeys, cardinals, bluejays, etc. No geckos, but my mom has some lizards here and there (she lives 20 miles west of me). Also raccoons, possums, mice, lots of squirrels, coyotes, birds of prey like hawks and owls, bunnies, all that 'normal' stuff. I hate it when I hear the shrieks of a dying bunny in the claws of a hawk or owl.

The other day, I was sitting outside reading, and a wasp was buzzing around my head. I kept waving it away, and finally just said to it "sod off!" and then a robin swooped down and snatched that thing right out of the air! Right in front of my face!!

Wow.
We have moles, too - but our cat "Possum" is a great mole hunter....she likes to bring snakes inside to play with, too - once one of them got loose in the house and then turned up under the dishwasher a couple of weeks or so later - three feet long. When she brought it in it was six inches...... LOL!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The hares have had a banner year here. I rarely see them by the interstate....this year i've actually run over 3. they are fast....just not fast enough.

I don't have a lot of hares by my property (at all).

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Very cool Buzzy

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Thanks Kali! You changed back to the avy from when I first met you...I like it!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Odd how NOT scared of you all he/she was!

When you said 'what are we going to do when it gets here?' made me chuckle.

There is one that lives under a shed across the street from me behind an abandoned house. It runs between the shed and the house and is very skiddish. Just a car driving by makes it dart back to the shed.

Seems as if it is definitely sick or otherwise. Do you suppose when the tree fell it suffered a blow to the head?

Anyway thanks for sharing Buzzy! Or should I say 'social media girl'?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I don't know why it's here or why its fur looked all discombobulated....maybe just shedding?? Homeless? Traumatized by a bulldozer over by the high school? I don't know.

But, it wasn't aggressive at all.

Yeah, I asked Mr Wigs "what are you going to do..." because he had a bat in his hand.....
I'll keep an eye out, and let you guys know what happens.

(And please, No, don't call me social media girl - lol!!)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join