It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are they commiting suicide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
So much confusion and pain! My daughters best friend, found her boyfriend dead. He just blew his head off!!!!!!!! She found him dead in his apartment on Sunday, brains all over the floor. Dam it!!!!! Why did he do this? A bright, talented young man...just gone. Poof! Gone forever and only 26 years old with 2 college degrees!

This generation is somehow lost. Just gone...we have to help them find their way...this is an emergency! Seriously. They need help and we are obligated to help them. At least my generation is anyway....I'm Gen X. Don't turn your backs on them....don't you dare! Pay attention...just listen to them...please.

Is it just me feeling sad? Please post your sadness...let it out! I'm starting with this one and so hopefully, you will post yours.

obligated

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

It may that people commit suicide because they have a moment of clarity.
I am being completely serious.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

It is tragic and difficult to understand what can bring someone to such despair and hopelessness.

Someone very close to me is struggling and has been for some time. They read the forum so I won't go into much detail. There are some who know the circumstances and how truly frustrating and devastating they (the circumstances of her illnesses) are for her. There must be something that I can do, I just haven't found the answers yet. If I do, I will share to hopefully help others who are struggling.

I posted this song for her a few days ago (she loves the music forums!)

Good luck on the healing journey for you and your loved ones. Perhaps some comfort in believing that whatever demons were tormenting him, the pain, for him, has stopped.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Suicide and attempted suicide, self harm and all that, are hugely complex.

Not myself, but I have had close involvement in this area in the past. If you peel back the layers of a person's life, you will uncover the truth to self destruction. In my experience this was depression and anxiety brought on by character traits and deep rooted feelings that everyone else was better. Very sad. He was my brother.

The causes of suicide etc., include:

•life history – for example, having a traumatic experience during childhood, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or a history of parental neglect
•mental health – for example, developing a serious mental health condition, such as schizophrenia
•lifestyle – for example, if you misuse drugs or misuse alcohol
•employment – such as poor job security, low levels of job satisfaction or being unemployed
•relationships – being socially isolated, being a victim of bullying or having few close relationships
•genetics and family history

Source NHS UK

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It may that people commit suicide because they have a moment of clarity.

Or regret.

Some people find themselves led (or misled) to a degree they can't live with anymore.

A bright, talented young man...just gone. Poof! Gone forever and only 26 years old with 2 college degrees!

"Just gone" from our perspective, not from his. Doubt he kills themselves over successfully graduating from college.

What else was going on there?

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

You left out war veterans…

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Call me the weird guy but look into the spirit of suicide.
I'm sure there's some dark connections to these occurences. A buddy of mine attempted suicide and life was made hell because he was with some young girl with a basket ball sized pentagram on her back. And what looks like middle eastern letters on her neck.

Another time someone told me there was a voice in his head tell ling him to kill himself.

Both these people are alive still. Some weird stuff
edit on 17-6-2016 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen

Call me the weird guy but look into the spirit of suicide.
I'm sure there's some dark connections to these occurences. A buddy of mine attempted suicide and life was made hell because he was with some young girl with a basket ball sized pentagram on her back. And what looks like middle eastern letters on her neck.

Another time someone told me there was a voice in his head tell ling him to kill himself.

Both these people are alive still. Some weird stuff

Immersive belief in such things can be very detrimental to our mental and emotional health. Whatever we imagine, we perceive to be real, and it seems those dark connections are every where, and out to get us. I hope your friend is doing better, and his focus is on better things.
edit on 6/17/2016 by Klassified because: re-word

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ultimately it's coping mechanisms. Some people are unable to burden the pressure for a sustained amount of time. Some people can deal with a situation easily whilst other dwell on the experience and relive it every moment. Unfortunately we can not change this instinctual feeling through aversion therapy or cognitive reprogramming .

A kid in my local school many years ago during GCSE'S put two pencils on the table and heat butted it (through the eyes) simply because of the pressure exerted from his Asian family ( education very important culturally). It's horrible the person was unable to gain a bit of perspective before ehe made the choice.

For some people the burden is too much, although unfortunately, in most situations, it's self inflicted stress. Manic depression is a strange strange thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I wanted to say something insightful about my generation, but we're pretty lost.
Those that can survive, will survive.
I'm sorry for your loss.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Well put.

Though the trauma in childhood may be 'nothing' more dramatic than

NEVER SUFFICIENTLY CONNECTING

in an emotional, routinely healthily affectionate, convincingly loving way with both parents--particularly Dad.

edit on 17/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Because it only takes one moment of severe despair/self pity/hopelessness to make that choice without any time to reconsider.

While I am pro 2nd amendment and don't want to see any gun laws being made, I don't own a gun for this exact reason.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I made a long, detailed post, clicked reply and got logged off instead. So annoying...

Anyway, human psychology can be extremely complex, as can be the mindset behind the individual who decides to take their own life. The intensity of the feeling of depression and hopelessness can be so overwhelmingly severe that words alone fail to express the internal despair experienced by the person being affected.

ETA: As to the deeper question behind your post:

If you believe the younger generations of today are seemingly less resilient and more prone to suicide than past generations, that might be an interesting observation for which I cannot offer an explanation.

Do remember that people have been committing suicide throughout history. It just seems more prevalent now that technology is more advanced and we are able to share information far more rapidly and broadly than in times past.

edit on 18/6/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1
! Why did he do this? A bright, talented young man...just gone. Poof! Gone forever and only 26 years old with 2 college degrees!

This is quite simple to understand. It's the only power a person has. Almost everything we do in life, requires the cooperation of other people. But, this one act is fully under our own power. Usually, people find themselves in environments where other people naturally assist them in whatever endeavor they undertake.

Want to eat? Go to restaurant, or grocery, and lots of people have already butchered the cows, and prepared the meat, and even cooked the food, so just pick up the food and eat.

For almost every imaginable desire man has, there are people willing to help him fulfill that desire.

But, there are times when people have desires that can't be fulfilled, either because they happen to be in the wrong environment for that particular desire to be satisfied, or because something in the relation between them and the environment blocks the fulfillment.

It's why we put people in prison. By putting a person in prison, we deny that person the ability to get the help from all the others in society that usually assist in fulfilling desires. We deliberately block that person's access to all the helpers.

People get so used to the idea, that they can fulfill their desires, that they often forget all the other people that help, and tend to think they do it all by themselves. I did this, and I did that. It's me!

This "ego centric" viewpoint, is the real problem. From time to time, individuals here and there, that have been receiving the usual help, but thinking that they have been achieving things all by themselves, suddenly encounter a change in environment, or change in relation between them and environment, where they can no longer do those things to fulfill their desires. The sudden change in circumstances, or sudden realization that one is "unable" to do something, because one is "powerless" to on one's own, is the trigger.

The key thing is the sudden change in circumstances.

A German Billionaire threw himself in front of a train, and committed suicide, because he lost 4.5 Billion Dollars, but he still had 500 Million at the time of his death. You'd think, that 500 Million would be enough to live out one's life in complete comfort. But, no, it's the dramatic "change" in his circumstances that triggered the thought, if I can't have all the things I was used to, then what's the point of carrying on. Yet, poor people rarely commit suicide. It's a disease of the rich, and well to do.

The sudden realization that one is "powerless", when accustomed to thinking that one had all this "power", leads the individual to exercise the only real "power" he has, to fix the problem. It's kind of a self-verification, that there is something that one can "still do". It's about proving to oneself, that there is at least something one has control over.

All violence is about issues of control. Violence against the self is no different.

edit on 18-6-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join