It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rare, risky mission is underway to rescue sick scientists from the South Pole

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

min 8 hour flight from McMurdo, hard to judge the weather...........prayers are with them

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Found a YT video tour of Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station for those who may be interested. It runs 31:34 minutes.

I am now insanely jealous of those who've had the privilege of working there.

Looking forward to updates on the rescue mission there.
edit on 6/19/16 by 123143 because: ADDED LENGTH OF VIDEO.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well, the Twin Otter should be landing at the South Pole late this evening, that would be our time zone. Everything is going good so far. I should get an update from my friend at the South Pole later on after it lands. Remember, this has only happened 2 other times in the last 60 or so years. I'll keep everyone updated as I get more information.

Pladuim

www.washingtonpost.com...< br />
edit on 19-6-2016 by Pladuim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Pladuim

Well, the Twin Otter should be landing at the South Pole late this evening

Thanks for the update. I haven't found anything about the rescue other than an article that said the moon would be full and around 16-17 degrees above the horizon. Giving them a bit of light. Also temps were just a bit warmer than normal.

I called my local news chanell to see if they would be interested in the story, their response was"why are there people at the South pole" lol

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Here is what NSF has recently released.

"Update: South Pole Medical evacuation flight, June 19
The two aircraft en route to the National Science Foundation's Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station to carry out an Antarctic medical evacuation are on the ground in Punta Arenas, Chile.
They are awaiting favorable weather to fly to the British Antarctic Survey station at Rothera, where they will prepare the aircraft and await favorable weather to make the flight to the Pole."

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pladuim
Here is what NSF has recently released.

"Update: South Pole Medical evacuation flight, June 19
The two aircraft en route to the National Science Foundation's Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station to carry out an Antarctic medical evacuation are on the ground in Punta Arenas, Chile.
They are awaiting favorable weather to fly to the British Antarctic Survey station at Rothera, where they will prepare the aircraft and await favorable weather to make the flight to the Pole."

Pladuim

Wow, I thought they'd be further along based on the time-frame, but the weather is what it is.

Thanks for the update.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 123143

They had to hop their way down. It was a five day flight to get to Chile. The Twin Otter is a pretty small aircraft, and had to be fitted with ferry tanks to make this flight.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: 123143

They had to hop their way down. It was a five day flight to get to Chile. The Twin Otter is a pretty small aircraft, and had to be fitted with ferry tanks to make this flight.

Oh, I understand. I'm far from being an expert. After I posted I remembered how small they are.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A second worker may come out with the one that they're down there to recover.

They're currently delayed waiting on good weather to get to Rothera, where they'll wait again for good weather to get to the South pole. Once they are airborne from Rothera, they have 4-5 hours to decide if they can make it in, or if they have to turn back. That's the point of no return, beyond which they won't have enough fuel to turn around anymore if the weather degrades.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Yeah thanks for the update. My wife text me today while I was at work and said sh saw it on the news. Said they were in Chile.

Im glad to see it getting at least a little tv airtime. With all the doom and gloom war and politics it is a good story.

I see the Rothera station on the left, looks like a bit mountainous terrain to fly over, also scales roughly to 1300 miles from there to south pole station.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I know they fly down there all the time in the summer season, but how would compass' work as you approach the pole?

I remember reading something about magnetic pole so just a simple compensation to geographic pole?

I also know now they will have a full moon but with no visual navigation landmarks wouldnt be hard to miss in the dark, but now I wonder if they have some form of nav beacon emitting a radio signal along the route?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wishes all involved in the rescue mission lots of luck and safety down there. Surprisingly there are no "accessible" fuel ports available to assist the mission, if only some could share...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

A portable TACAN unit would give them a signal to home in on and take them straight to the runway.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

From my experience here in McMurdo, a compass doesn't work.......well it works, but the declination is crazy and can change in a short distance. Most everyone here in McMurdo will use a GPS. There are other methods, you can read about here.

www.antarctica.gov.au...

"In the southern hemisphere, POLARIS is not visible above the horizon. Although this small group of stars does not sit directly above the South Pole, the “SOUTHERN CROSS” constellation is used to find a directional bearing to the south, and by finding one particular star in this constellation, latitude can be measured as in the case of POLARIS. Some additional corrections must be made, but are still relatively quick."

www.navfltsm.addr.com...

My friend at the South Pole is getting the runway ready, making sure it's level, and grooming the snow. They do have runway markers, basically 4 black flags on both sides of the runway every 1000 ft. They also will have runway lights.......basically burning fuel and debris.
You can read more about it in this book, where you can get the experience straight from a pilot.

books.google.com... rs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_zeT99bfNAhULQVIKHWfLAXoQ6AEIMzAD#v=onepage&q=amazing%20flights%20and%20flyers&f=false

Still don't know if they will be coming into McMurdo or not, but we are preparing, and will be ready if they do. We are experiencing high winds (35 knots) and blowing snow right now. Hopefully things will calm down soon. The temp. isn't so bad, only -13F. but in just a few seconds, the wind chill will make your ears feel like their in a vice. The winds and weather here does get bad at times. It can get -58F with over 100 knot winds. I was told last year that the South Pole experience a record number of consecutive days where temps. were -100F. or below.

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the update, Pladuim.

Stay warm down there!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just found this news clip, some pretty cool short video clips, I'd love to find the originals,
www.cbsnews.com...

Wish I knew how to embed video...maybe someday

It is odd though that they were reported in Chile Monday yet this says at Rothera, I guess it is possible.

Not much else out there just yet

cbsnews.com has a few vids but pretty much same story

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Rothera is the jumping off point. They were heading there as soon as they had weather to make it. The day a journalist isn't confused is the day the universe ends.
edit on 6/21/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hey guys, they made it to the South Pole and landed safely. I'm waiting to hear if they will fly to McMurdo, or go back on their original route. I do believe they will travel on their original route, but there is a chance they will fly here, then another airplane would take them to New Zealand. I'll post updates as I get them.

I have been working on the airfield here. After 2 days of high winds and blowing snow, the runway was a mess with drifting snow. We did get it all back together. Right now we are on standby.

At some point in time I may start a new topic, My Adventures In Antarctica. I have all kinds of cool pictures and videos.

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Well that is good to hear.
would love to see some pics and vids

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
My friend and the Twin Otter at the South Pole. Just wanted to show that they did make it.

Pladuim

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join