It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rare, risky mission is underway to rescue sick scientists from the South Pole

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Why don't you try to come down here? I could give you info on companies looking to hire people to work here. Heck, sometimes a doctor will work in the kitchen for 6 months just to get the opportunity to be here.

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pladuim

Why don't you try to come down here? I could give you info on companies looking to hire people to work here. Heck, sometimes a doctor will work in the kitchen for 6 months just to get the opportunity to be here.

Pladuim

I appreciate the thought, but I'm old, medically retired, and crippled by arthritis. You did give me a thrill for a minute there.

I've wanted to work there for years having read a number of books and articles about wintering over and such.

It's up to the younger folks like yourself to have the fun now.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There is still an airplane sitting close to the airfield that crashed, but no one was hurt. Just a few brown stains in the seats, some bumps and scrapes. I have also made a trip out to this airplane. A lot of people have scratched their names into the paint and the dates when they were here, but they try to stop people from doing it now.

www.messynessychic.com...
edit on 18-6-2016 by Pladuim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I understand. If I could, I'd send you a little piece of Antarctica. There are some really cool crystals that come from Mt. Erebus, the huge volcano that's close to McMurdo. I see smoke coming from it every day.

www.google.com...=mt+erebus+crystals

If you have Netflix, you can watch "Antarctica A Year On The Ice". It shows a lot of what it's like to be in McMurdo.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Pladuim

Great. Thanks for the tip.

Wilson abandoned a sledge of rock samples. Do you know if anyone found that? I know it's a big continent, so probably not, but you won't know unless you ask, right?

Just watched the trailer for that documentary. Looks very interesting!
edit on 6/18/16 by 123143 because: ETA.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for sticking with this, So you think tomorrow they will try to fly to South Pole? Tomorrow being today here? lol...I think they used to run the same time as Denver at the south pole, thats where ASA was out of.

This day and age they better have video.

With all the bad in the world, this is a good story, I am glad I stumbled upon it.

So 30 minutes on the ground, the book may have embellished a bit. If they have to refuel, they must run a jet fuel in the otter. How long does it take to refuel something in those conditions? 30 minutes .

any way to pick up any radio from them? And Zaph, I hope you stick with this until we hear they made it in and out safely. You and Pladuim are the knowledge guys on this...

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Honestly, I don't know about the rock samples, but I will ask around. There are a few people around that have a great deal of knowledge about the history here. I just borrowed "Shackleton" by Kenneth Branagh, and will be watching it in my free time.

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_serial)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

a reply to: 123143 Why don't you try to come down here? I could give you info on companies looking to hire people to work here. Heck, sometimes a doctor will work in the kitchen for 6 months just to get the opportunity to be here. Pladuim

You are right. I actually met a photographer here in my town that has been on ice many times. He told me the same thing, go as a dishwasher if you have too. Myself, I was going to build the place, put the heat in.... I can't go as a dishwasher.

But dude, is this the most talked about event there or what? you have to keep us updated. and just out of curiosity are you from Minnesota? When I was getting ready to go my guy said a lot of operators there were from MN.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Right now, yes, it is talked about every day at our morning meetings. There are 3 different scenarios that could happen, but NSF has asked us to not talk too much about it right now, in respect for those needing the medical attention. Not like it's some big top secret event or anything.

Look up a company called PAE, they do most of the hiring down here. The station is about to go through a major rebuild, and it would probably be a good time to snag up one of those jobs.

I really do recommend those that are adventurers to at least come down once in their life. I probably won't be one of those that have been coming down for 10 years or more, but it has defiantly been a great adventure for me so far. This is my first winter here, and it's like a ghost town compared to the summer when there are 900 or more people. Right now, there is about 150.

I'm from West Virginia, but have have ran into a few people from MN. People from all over, and what is cool, we all eat and party together. It's really a great way to meet new and interesting people.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Thanks bro, I will look up PAE.... I found the job listing the first time just by chance, ASA Antarctic support associate, I think. I haphazardly applied, talked to a guy didnt go. Next time I appled was through Raytheon. pretty sure was the same guy I talked to years before.

If It needs remod, Im in for the heating system... I don't have a passport cuz mine was stolen but will work on that....

But now, did the rescue fly out of mcmurdo? are they flying into mcmurdo? keep me posted my friend please,

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll stick around, and let you know any information I can share. Here in McMurdo the weather is expected to get bad, high winds and snow, so I doubt they will be bringing them here, but we are ready if they do. I have been working the runway for the last couple of days. It's an ice runway, yes ice runway. I haven't been successful posting videos on here or I would post one of the videos I took last summer of a C17 landing, but here is a link of an Air Bus landing at the airfield.

www.youtube.com...

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

They didn't fly out of McMurdo, but they may fly them back here, and then to New Zealand. I'll go out right now and ask around to see if I can pick up any news on their progress.

Pladuim

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Thanks brother, you think the otter is on its flights to sp now?

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Pladuim,

Just finished that film. Wonderful stuff. The Milky Way looks spectacular. Nice shots of pancake ice and those ridiculous penguins. And, every time I see the Barrier, I marvel at how long that continent has been encased in ice.

Judging by the movie you all seem like a bunch of lunatics. My kind of people!

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

This was a C-130 when the Navy had the mission down there. They ended up on the ice, and a winter storm buried it. It took something like 12 years to find again, and a couple more to get it in shape to fly to the Depot. I had to deal with it when they were heading to the Depot. Took almost a month to finally get the damn thing gone.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If the weather holds they were going to try to get in and out as soon as they got there. Time on ground is solely dependent on temperature. If it's warm enough the fuel doesn't gel they can stay longer.

The last time they had video after they were out and back home so they may this time too.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This should be on the news....Honestly my heart is racing thinkng these guys are flying right now

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I can't confirm anything, I was told the Twin Otter is on continent, but there may be a weather delay.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Thanks for the update, keep us posted as you can please.

I just called my local news station to tell them of this mission.

Some kid answered and he asked why would people be at the south pole.....Hopefully he googles it and realizes this is the story of the century

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
According to ABC news, they're waiting for the weather window to open. It's up to the pilots if they want to risk things or not, so once they feel confident they can get in and back out, they'll go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join