It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orlando Families Plead With Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
cnn

President Barack Obama said Thursday that grief-filled parents in Orlando pleaded with him to take steps preventing the kind of gun violence that took their children. But he acknowledged, exasperatedly, that he could offer them few promises

The role of consoler in chief was a repeat assignment for Obama, was has now traveled to 10 American cities -- including four in the last year -- scarred by mass shooting events. In Orlando, he met at a downtown arena with both families of victims and survivors of the terrorist attack, many of whom suffered serious injuries but emerged from the massacre alive.

"The notion that more peple in a nightclub were similarly armed to the killer makes little sense". Obama said this, I have said this...the darkness, strobe lights, a crowd and loud music, would make that more of a disaster. Ricochet, confusion, friendly fire.

Something has got to be done. Some will say more guns are the answer or that making more restrictive gun laws would make it worse. Or, even that it is the agenda of the government to disarm the citizens. At the same time, others will blame Obama for this event.

People can't have it both ways- though I have witnessed people here trying to have it both ways. It is called talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Each and every time, I also see some say 'too soon'. 'Too soon' becomes 'too late' over and over with less time in between.

People can have guns for self defense and sport without NEEDING guns that are used in these massacres over and over. Even if you had them and the government, in an unlikley scenario, decided on martial law or to do something extreme, it won't matter what gun you have. They have more and they have tanks and drones that shoot to kill.

The idea that more gun control of some type isn't necessary is a foolish idea. It won't stop all from getting guns. But it will stop some. The idea that doing nothing is the best idea since you feel action won't help is only proof the NRA's lobbyists are doing a good job.

The NRA is not an activist group looking out for rights. They are looking out for the profits of gun manufacturers.

Now, we have citizens asking the president to do something, and he can only state that his hands are tied. Tied,
by special interests and corporations.

A senior Democratic aide told CNN that votes will most likely happen next week, and they are looking at two Democratic amendments concerning the terror watch list and background checks as well as two GOP amendments.

I hope the two sides can come up with something. After the largest terrorist massacre on US soil since 9/11, we need to have a good answer for the families other than 'nothing can be done about guns'.

edit on 16-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
But after everything he said ... the LBGT community has finally woken to the fact they need to arm themselves if they wish to be defended in reality.

0bama embraces the ignorance ... while the LGBT community opens their eyes in a waking state.

Get your AR-15s before the ban hits.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
But after everything he said ... the LBGT community has finally woken to the fact they need to arm themselves if they wish to be defended in reality.

0bama embraces the ignorance ... while the LGBT community opens their eyes in a waking state.

Get your AR-15s before the ban hits.

They have not suddenly come to that realization. Just one pro gun LGBT organization increased in membership. It doesn't mean the entire community wasn't aware of their personal danger, on several fronts previously.

Your entire statement makes no sense. Obama embraces what ignorance? The LGBT community has just now 'woken up'? Both statements have nothing to back them.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If he can guarantee, 100% that due process will be REQUIRED in every case before a right is stripped from an American citizen, then I am on-board. Anything less is on the road to tyranny. And I am not exaggerating that at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If its not a gun its a bomb and if its not a bomb its a plane.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Both statements have nothing to back them.

Are you sure?
Perhaps I'm mistaken but wasn't there a thread earlier today about how gun sales among the LGBQTSFGDFN has skyrocketed?

ETA: I think this is the thread...
Gun Sales Surge Among Gays, Lesbians After Orlando Shooting
edit on 16-6-2016 by ShadowLink because: Added link.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
If he can guarantee, 100% that due process will be REQUIRED in every case before a right is stripped from an American citizen, then I am on-board. Anything less is on the road to tyranny. And I am not exaggerating that at all.

I agree. And I don't like the 'watchlist ' thing. It is too easy to put someone on a watchlist just because they p*ssed you off.

The ideas I have stated have never been incredibly restrictive. I focus more on registering every 2 years (like a car). That sort of thing helps people, they have a better chance of proving they didn't kill someone with their missing gun. Also, a requirement to buy a gun safe at a reasonable price.

I don't think that kevlar piercing bullets are needed. I don't think automatic weapons are necessary. I am not a gun expert, so I can't point out an AR 15 specifically to be banned, I think I have seen some gun experts say that guns other than that one are more dangerous, that one has only made the news. But I think some should be removed form the public, experts can answer that one.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
A friendly reminder...

Please keep to the topic at hand and refrain from personal jabs and insults.

Consider this fair warning.

As always, please do not reply to this post.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

originally posted by: reldra
Both statements have nothing to back them.

Are you sure?
Perhaps I'm mistaken but wasn't there a thread earlier today about how gun sales among the LGBQTSFGDFN has skyrocketed?

There was a thread quoting one gun dealer in Colorado stating that ONE LGBT pro gun group had increased it's membership. You have the right thread, but the title was not very accurate.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

What is 'LGBQTSFGDFN' ?

I don't think it is anything. I am sleepy, so I just hope this thread stays on an even keel.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Alcohol and guns do not mix. No guns in nightclubs. Hows that?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

It's whatever you want it to be.
Aren't we just adding letters at this point?
Every time I turn around there are more letters and symbols.
Wouldn't want to leave anyone out, someone could get offended.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Alcohol and guns do not mix. No guns in nightclubs. Hows that?

That is a start. 3 states recently passed laws allowing that. Georgia, Louisiana and Ohio.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join