It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 25 years 2 packs a day, attempting to quit smoking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wish me the best of luck, I am attempting to quit smoking, Just bought a bag of carrots and other food stuff for burgers instead of a pack of smokes with my last cig money.

I want to be kicked of this habit before my birthday...

Going to try and use the carrots to appease the oral and hand fidget, and try to supplant the comfort issue. so the only thing my body can focus on breaking chemical habit.

If you religiously inclined pray for me, if not wish me luck.

CoBaZ

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

Best of luck. I've had a recent (failed) quit attempt. I want to quit this year as well.

I read somewhere recently that part of the relaxing sensation smokers experience is from the breathing pattern while smoking. I'm sorry I don't remember where I read it, otherwise I would cite the source.

Perhaps deep breathing will help during cravings.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

you can do it!!!
Today is day 8 of zero smokes for me.

Lots of gum lol

I won't lie, though, I went to the doc and got Chantix.
aside from the nausea that it gave me, it only took me about 3 weeks ish to quit. Nausea was the only side effect that I had, which is good, because I hear there can be some strange ones.

I stopped taking in a few days ago, and I do have cravings, but I fight them and it's getting easier everyday.

You can do this.
edit on 6-16-2016 by Squirlli because: sp

edit on 6-16-2016 by Squirlli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoBaZ
Wish me the best of luck, I am attempting to quit smoking, Just bought a bag of carrots and other food stuff for burgers instead of a pack of smokes with my last cig money.

Going to try and use the carrots to appease the oral and hand fidget, and try to supplant the comfort issue. so the only thing my body can focus on breaking chemical habit.

CoBaZ

I have been trying as a well. Very difficult to wean off slowly, so I have gone cold turkey. It's working out better.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There is no try.
Only do.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
May not always be appropriate, depends on your general health I guess. But I recommend doing some weekly exercise routine such as jogging, cycling or swimming. The reason I say this is because one of the first things you might notice after not having a smoke for a few days, is the effect it can have on breathing. Say for example you would be very tired after doing something as innocuous as running for a bus, possibly due to low oxygen intake as a direct result of smoking... well after your lungs start to clear then you should notice a difference in this respect. My point here is about reward - if you find exercise is easier then you should gain satisfaction in that and it could be a motivator in resisting the box of sticks.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I'm with you.

People who never smoked don't understand (although often their intentions are good).

It's gonna be a fight but you keep fighting!!!

Some unsolicited advice... Just don't smoke "the next one." Don't worry about the one tomorrow after coffee or the one later tonight before bed. Just try not to smoke "the next one." I won't lie, it sucks balls but just keep fighting.

In my thoughts and prayers. Fight like hell!
Best wishes.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

+

=
quitting without any issue at all.

I was a 2 pack a day for decades..within a month I was done. been 2.5 years now without so much as a hint of slippage (thats untrue. I was in vegas a few weeks ago and had a few drags off one..nearly floored me and got sick...good enough last memory..figured it was vegas, why not..bad decision, but the result was cool, no more curiousity)
Vegas...

Anyhow, good luck with cold turkey, but tbh, you should at least go up to the store and get one of those disposable e-cigs so if you do crack, you hit that verses a real ciggy. most people fail cold turkey, most succeed with chantix and e-cig

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Here is how I quit my nicotine addiction. I stopped buying cigarettes. I put a rubber band around my wrist. When I thought about having a smoke I snapped my wrist.

After 7 to 10 days the nicotine leaves your body. Slowly your body starts adjusting to normal. Don't replace eating with smoking or you will get fat. You can do it. Never take another puff again.

edit on 6 16 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
well I am doing the try to trick my body thing,

about 4 weeks ago my wife noticed I can go hours with out lighting a smoke if I just hold one in my mouth and occasionally fiddle with it...

So I decided to give carrot sticks a try, not the huge donkey ones or the baby carrots but the nice middle size ones that feel like the weight of a cigar.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Just remember you did not need to smoke as a child. You don't need to smoke now!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoBaZ

CoBaZ

You might not initially think this is very helpful but I want to start by telling you this comes from someone who has had to do this before. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to save you some time and trouble.

1. First of all, you're going to need more than luck to quit smoking if you're as addicted as I was. Luck MIGHT help but it's probably just not going to cut it.

2. You have to understand that when you've been smoking as long as you have, quitting (and staying quit) is probably going to be the hardest thing you've ever had to do in your life. And I'm not joking. Again, not trying to discourage you but you need to be realistic and know what you're facing. So you have to realize that you shouldn't try to take on too many "life improvement" things all at the same time. Just quitting smoking by itself is going to be hard as hell. Don't try to force yourself to eat healthy at the same time or push yourself in other areas.

3. Why do I say that? Because of the way smokers think. I know when I used to smoke I never wanted a cigarette more desperately than I did when I was having a bad day or when I was in a bad mood or when I was tired. If you push yourself too hard you're going to be more agitated and worked up and you're going to have more (and stronger) cravings for a smoke.

4. If I had to quit smoking again now I would buy an e cig and use the nicotine juice. Even that probably isn't a real substitute for cigarettes but it's a lot closer than anything else you're going to find. And frankly, even if you find you can't quit smoking and you end up on the e cigs you're still better off because it can't possibly be as bad for you (IMO).

5. You're probably going to slip. Everyone who tries to quit smoking fails at least a few times. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try hard but don't beat yourself up about it if you only last a few days. It's not you. It's the addiction. It is more powerful than you think it is when you have a pack sitting in front of you and you think you can just throw that away and use willpower. In a couple of days you will see how powerful it really is. It's no joke.

6. Make sure the people around you understand you're probably not going to be a very nice person while you're trying to quit. Hopefully they will understand and try not to do things that will frustrate and antagonize you. I had people in my life who just didn't care and every time the cravings would start I would snap at someone and instead of just backing off and leaving me be, they would antagonize me. This is bad and it will make your willpower much weaker if you think about it. If it seems like other people don't care, you might wonder why you should. So just sit the people in your life down and be honest with them. Tell them if they care about you they need to help you get through it and just put up with it if you're grouchy and hostile and aggressive. IT'S NORMAL. It's the addiction. It doesn't want to let go and it's first strategy will be to wind you up and cause you to lash out at people.

7. Understand that it isn't as simple as just quitting. I haven't had a cigarette since 2007 or so and I still crave them every day. Not very strong but I do. It's there all the time. It feels like vague hunger. I can eat as much as I can hold but it doesn't make that little gnawing hunger go away. And if I think about it I realize what is causing it is the addiction IS STILL THERE. It's much weaker but it's still there. That means you will have to be vigilant. Not just for a few weeks but for the rest of your life. Believe me. I've quit smoking more than once. The time before last I quit for years and picked it right back up one day when I was having a bad day. That time I had no idea it was still there just waiting for that opportunistic moment of weakness. But it was and it got me. I smoked for about 6 years after that and only quit when I lost my job and couldn't afford 3 packs a day anymore. Realistically, that one little slip could have cost me my life.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Praying for you!!

You can do this! Each day is a new day. There is no failure. Take it day by day and don't think of the wide open future. Live in the moment. I'm not a smoker so it probably sounds lame but maybe it will help.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

25 years and almost 3 packs/day here.

All you have to do is remind yourself that each craving will pass and the time between cravings will stretch out farther and farther.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Please quit, and keep quitting.

Mom smoked for 50 years died of stage 4 lung cancer.
Dad smoked for 45 years. Bladder cancer, only comes from smoking and a chemical in road stripe paint, treated in remission.
Step dad smokes- 1/2 Left lung removed COPD not well.

Please stop.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
-snip-

ok here we go.

Yes I am well aware of the hell I am trying to inflict on myself. But then 16 years ago I was able to break a half bottle of 151 a night to go asleep habit.

The only time in the last 25 years I been smoke free was the time period I was going though Navy boot camp (twice due to a paperwork screw up yes the whole thing kicked back from graduation week to P-week)

ps I hope you guys understand if I get Real snarky in some of my replies on other topics it is mainly me taking out frustration here instead of at the wife and kids. At least here yall can call me a jerk and get away with it ROFL
edit on 16-6-2016 by CoBaZ because: added PS

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
40+ year smoker. 2-3 packs/day. (and low will-power) . If I can do it , I will accept no excuses from you. NONE

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
On the brighter side, a Bag of cigar shapped carrots only cost me 1.76 no Tax!!!!

beats 4.95 after tax for Winstons.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Good luck in your endeavor to quit. I smoked for 29 years, worked my way down to e-cigs for two months, then quit altogether. 5 months after quitting I suffered a major heart attack, but it was the opinion of my doc that had I still been a smoker, I'd have been a statistic rather than a survivor.

If I can quit, you can too.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Good luck and all the best. The biggest hurdle is the mind, the chemical addiction can be gone in a few days.
Believe you can do it and you will do it, I believe you will.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join