It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No power

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: Parafitt

Lol, I hav a Mac and love it, just bought a Dell with Windows 10 and the hammer is coming out soon lol

Learn 10, I swear it is a good OS. It's just obnoxiously different. But so was XP after 95.

You just turn off all the online stuff, and who would every use the store. It's a PC not an android. I don't want apps that want money every time I use them, android I can live with, well.. with adaway..
but treat it like a PC and not connected. local account, no store (it's really crap, nothing works anyway), but all in all it is way much better than 7, and 8 was an aberration.. typical M$ scheme, however..

Id be on a 'nix setup if not for a few apps I cannot run in wine or find alternatives to, so I have forgiven the quirks, and surprisingly, the OS is one of the best...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt
Ok thank you, I only need it for Microsoft office products even though I have ms on Mac. Mac and Windows don't play nice in the sandbox.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

New power cord, maybe? Check the monitor, if possible, on another system, too.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I got out my ohm meter and there's nothing out of the PSU. Got power going in, zero coming out to the system.. Found a new PSU for about $30, going to get it tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

you did short out the pins to emulate the on button being pressed when you tested for load?

Some psu's do have a fuse inside them but be wary as theres normally some very large caps and they can give quite a belt.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Thanks to all that took the time to read the OP and offer advice. Got a used PSU from my neighbor, plugged it in and TADA!!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Awesome, good for you! I am happy it was not worse!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Woohoo I love easy fixes

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I was hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I think it was borderline anyway. It's an old computer and I've never had any other trouble with it, but since it was plugged in to a surge protector and nothing else on the strip was harmed, I'm betting the PSU was ready to go at any time. The surge from the storm just gave it it's death blow. I had fingers, toes and eyes crossed when I turned it on, thinking the HD may have gotten zapped, but it booted right up.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Me and you both brother. Me and you both. Best of all...It was free. My neighbor and I trade favors, tools, etc, so he was returning a favor I did a while back. A couple Winters ago, we had temps down to minus 30 and a storm that knocked out the power for about 10 days. It got a bit chilly in here. I let him have a large, full, propane tank, to run a heater in his house. Since he repairs computers on the side, he has all kinds of spare parts and I tried to pay him for it, but he refused, saying I saved him from freezing his butt off.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Sounds like you have a true friend as a neighbor. That is so rare anymore, more luck for you!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If you don’t have one already, get a surge protector. The idea is that the fuse in the block will take the hit so the power will be cut to the sockets. It’d also protect the monitor if you plug that into it as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Here's hoping that's all that was damaged!! Buying a new system can be a pain. Past one I got, I got online, refurbished, just for the older OS.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The problem with surge protector blocks is that the protect when the voltage goes too high but never block if the voltage goes too low which can cause more problems than a surge can especially as it can happen over a long time as the voltage drops the system tries to draw more power to carry on as usual and thus it wears out stuff a hell of a lot faster.

Best bet is to get a proper UPS so it sits between the mains and the computer, even one with a naff battery that lasts 30 secs is ok as it will take the hit and will always provide a clean power signal at the correct frequency/voltage and can if its got a good battery be told to shutdown the machine cleanly in the event of a long power cut.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join