It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia Becomes 1st Major American City with Soda Tax

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

decide their own bathroom laws,gun laws, and immigration laws.

So does this.

So which way is it ?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: seeker1963

Diet soda is included too. There are enough conspiracies about artificial sweetners, many on this site I imagaine. But still, a city voted on this tax. It wasn't forced upon them by the federal government.

I don't drink soda nor do I live in Philly.

I am a smoker though, and all I can say to those who are pissed they have to pay taxes on their soda? "I told you so!".

Ya might have to think about that one for a little bit.

That other things would be next? I know that is true. I quit smoking in October 2012, changed to vaping, saved, an app tells me, almost $20,000 at this point. Now the government is going after vaping.

I live in a state that has 8% sales tax on almost everything. Not food and some books.

Not fond of taxes added, but in the case of this soda thing in Philly, maybe they were looking for a way to raise revenue and this was the least controversial?

The citizens in the city fought for it.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

decide their own bathroom laws,gun laws, and immigration laws.

So does this.

So which way is it ?

Which is what? Immigration alws are normally enforced by the federal government. Bathroom laws can be passed by cities, but might run afoul of federal laws. Gun laws are mainly state issues.

Tax on soda is a thing that the city of Philadelphia can do.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Oh HELL! I forgot about vaping! See? There ya go!

Still want a bigger government that doesn't have enough time to deal with REAL issues but have plenty of time to involve themselves in your life?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It`s not just soda:

a 1.5 cent-per-ounce tax on sugary and diet beverages

Diet beverages too,not just diet soda but ALL diet beverages.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Still want a bigger government that doesn't have enough time to deal with REAL issues but have plenty of time to involve themselves in your life?

No, never said that. The government is big enough and it seems to deal with...I think you are leading to either entitlements or gun laws...just fine at the size it is. I think the FDA has grabbed more power on the vaping issue than they ever should have. But I also found that it will not cost the small vape businesses as much as they thought.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

No, never said that. The government is big enough and it seems to deal with...I think you are leading to either entitlements or gun laws...just fine at the size it is. I think the FDA has grabbed more power on the vaping issue than they ever should have. But I also found that it will not cost the small vape businesses as much as they thought.

I am not leading to anything other than those currently in the government to do their jobs and work on things like oh I don't know JOBS? How about bringing manufacturing jobs back into the country rather than low paying service industry jobs? I don't know about you, but it seems the focus of our current batch of government cronies focus on everything EXCEPT the things dragging this country to 3rd world status.

Who knows maybe it's just me.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I am not leading to anything other than those currently in the government to do their jobs and work on things like oh I don't know JOBS? How about bringing manufacturing jobs back into the country rather than low paying service industry jobs? I don't know about you, but it seems the focus of our current batch of government cronies focus on everything EXCEPT the things dragging this country to 3rd world status.

I agree with you. They should spend more time on on what you say.

But in regard to the OP, that was a local government decision, backed by citizens. There was a vote after public comment. That is the exact way city governments should work.
edit on 16-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

And it was an issue that doesn't run afoul of federal laws.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Gun laws are mainly state issues.

We'll remember you said that.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Gun laws are mainly state issues.

We'll remember you said that.

I said MAINLY. yes, go ahead and note that.

Texas has strong open carry laws. I have seen enough youtube videos to know that. Still, in Texas, if a mall says 'no guns', you can't sling your rifle over your shoulder and walk in.

If the federal government passes a law that restricts type of guns, amount of ammo, requires buying a gun safe, registration every so often, that is something they can do.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have been suggesting this for a decade. It seems the only thing they can think of to tax is beer and cigarettes, the "sin tax".

Sodas are loaded with sugar, have ZERO nutritional value, and also carbonation is bad for the kidneys. I see people out with obese children feeding coins into a soda machine for their child who clearly doesn't need it, it's bad for his health.

Tax them long and hard. Tax everything in those machines except bottles of water and tea. Even our so called 'fruit juice" is full of sugar. If it's not, it's too expensive for most people to buy.

I guess they've taxed beer so much it's reached the point of diminishing returns. Sodas. Way to go.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

But in regard to the OP, that was a local government decision, backed by citizens. There was a vote after public comment. That is the exact way city governments should work.

I'll give you that. I still believe it is silly AND hard to believe people would actually vote for taxing something else....

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Ah, the escape caveat. Well-played.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Well, I did say it. I do believe states should have some type of control over gun laws. Especially open carry/not open carry.

I have seen 3 states ridiculously pass laws to allow guns in bars, though. That is a smh thing.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'll give you that. I still believe it is silly AND hard to believe people would actually vote for taxing something else....

They need revenue. It might have been less controversial than raising property or school taxes. One NEEDS a home. One does not NEED soda. If one wants soda, paying 1.5 cent per ounce that goes back to the community isn;t such a tragedy.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I meant that. I planned that out.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I live in a suburb right outside of Philly, and most people say they will drive a few miles to do their food shopping in the 'burbs instead of Philly. The already expensive food stores and restaurants will suffer. People will start drinking water with their meals instead if their normal flavored drink. The extra money they think they'll get through the tax will fall short.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I live in a suburb right outside of Philly, and most people say they will drive a few miles to do their food shopping in the 'burbs instead of Philly. The already expensive food stores and restaurants will suffer. People will start drinking water with their meals instead if their normal flavored drink. The extra money they think they'll get through the tax will fall short.

Either they don't get extra money or people drink water or both. Drinking water is a better choice. If you want to shop elsewhere, you have the choice.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

They need revenue. It might have been less controversial than raising property or school taxes. One NEEDS a home. One does not NEED soda. If one wants soda, paying 1.5 cent per ounce that goes back to the community isn;t such a tragedy.

I would agree IF the money actually went back into the community. However I am very skeptical that would be the case.

How bout that! I concede to you!

Mark that on your calendar!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Better start stockpiling the soda pop fellow patriots!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join