It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ overrules FBI on gun sales debate, says no-fly list can be used for ban

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So last year the FBI Director told Congress that a gun ban on suspected terrorists could be a problem because something like that might jeopardize investigations.

Now today, the Attorney General says different.

AG Loretta Lynch wants Congress to pass gun laws that use "lists" to target potential gun buyers (legal buyers, not criminal buyers).

Obama has put out the word obviously.

DOJ overrules FBI on gun sales debate, says no-fly list can be used for ban

Attorney General Loretta Lynch overruled FBI Director James B. Comey on Thursday, saying the Obama administration does support a ban on firearms sales to those on terrorist watch lists.

Mr. Comey last year had told Congress that the ban could end up alerting suspected terrorists that they are being investigated, and that could “blow” the cases his agents are trying to build.

But his superiors at the Justice Department rejected that, issuing a statement Thursday saying they want to see Congress approve the “no-fly, no-buy” plan Democrats are pursuing.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So if people are on a "list" and they want to commit major crimes, what stops them from using false I.D. ?

Or what stops them from using straw buyers ?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
They are going to give anyone involved in criminal activity a red flag.

It's pretty retarded if you really think about it.

I know it sounds good to a lot of people but red flags ruin investigations, people drop ship and cut off all their contacts rendering any intelligence operations completely ineffective and a total waste of million of dollars potentially.

Continue with the idiotic knee jerk reactions from the Obama admin.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Millions of people will end up on these lists

Guilty by accusation

Have fun affording the legal battle to get your name removed from these lists if you find yourself unable to exercise your rights

link   
They have a list that stops you from being able to get on a airplane..I wont weigh in on the governments infringment of movement (a right). it seems this has been in place for ages.
I see this as just another aspect of that. questionable, but if they are legit stopping people suspected of radicalism and seeking out to harm people...I am strangely ok with that.

but there needs to be more quick access to get people either charged, or off the no fly. I see it as investigation, not a punishment for just thinking badly..it should mean something. if there is 60k people on the list, investigate it. if its actually over a million (for all lists combined)..then we gotta wonder how effective this filtering process is.

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So if people are on a "list" and they want to commit major crimes, what stops them from using false I.D. ?

Nothing. That is the damn point.

Criminals will always get guns and 'scary' guns at that...laws only affect people that follow them...duh.

I swear this Administration has their heads so far up their ass.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Right? I stopped putting my name on firearms a long time ago.

And I'm a good guy (I think). So no-fly me all you want, suckers. While you're busy with me, you're being flanked.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Or they can be on lists and legally buy weapons and murder 49 innocent people.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Or they can be on lists and legally buy weapons and murder 49 innocent people.

Mateen was not on a list when he bought guns and did the shootings.

The FBI took him off I think in 2014.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Nothing. That is the damn point.

Criminals will always get guns and 'scary' guns at that...laws only affect people that follow them...duh.

I swear this Administration has their heads so far up their ass.

The next administration is going to break that record by a stunning distance.

Not something I'm happy about.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
double post
edit on 6 16 2016 by Cohen the Barbarian because: double post

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

You know the "watch list" is a horrible idea when Trump, Hillary, Obama, Fox, Oreilly and the NRA all agree.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So, what is to stop someone who is on the list from getting a gun by other means?

There is a very big black market for all sorts of stuff. Criminals....don't.....follow....laws...!

Do you all remember when the no fly list came to be, how many people were on it who shouldn't of been?

What if everyone on this forum ends up on that list, simply because we are on here? Is that okay? (I'm sure for some of you, you don't care about this, or your rights being taken without due process, but don't pretend because YOU are okay with it that everyone else should be, as well.)

All the repressive regimes in history had lists like this, and most of those regimes now are known for their infamy.

We are heading down a that road, full speed a head..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I cant wait until obama comes out and says, "Anyone who wants to buy a gun is suspect..."

This, and anything like it, is a bad idea. It is a perfect example of give them an inch and they will take a mile.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Are these going to involve the same lists that the IRS used to target certain political groups?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

You know the "watch list" is a horrible idea when Trump, Hillary, Obama, Fox, Oreilly and the NRA all agree.

Does seem odd.

Maybe somebody should propose a law that says an agency needs to prove something in court before a name goes on a list.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Without due process??

Sorry, get ready for MASSIVE class action lawsuits for civil rights violations, failure to adhere to criminal rules of procedure, etc. etc. etc.

SUE SUE SUE... AND SUE SOME MORE!! 👌👌👍👍

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
And there you have it people.

The creation of a virtual gitmo that practically ANY ONE can be put on.

From nothing more than what you say.

edit on 16-6-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
since when can the government take away your rights based merely on a suspicion that you might commit a crime at some point in the future? This will never hold up in court.
Where is the due process and the right to defend yourself before they put you on this list that takes away your rights?
If they put you on this list you will automatically lose one of your rights without any due process or ability to defend yourself.
Basically it won`t be a no-fly list anymore it will be a no-rights list.
Take away the list and what you have is a some guy (or guys) in an office somewhere deciding who gets to retain their rights and who gets their rights taken away,not based on something that the person may have done but based on a suspicion that the person isn`t a good moral person.
Why not just cut out the middle man (the list) and have a bunch bureaucrats in an office sit there all day deciding who gets to keep what rights based on where they live,their income, their lifestyle etc, because that`s exactly what they are doing anyway.
since anyone can be put on the list at anytime with no due process or right to defend themselves,the list is just a diversion to cover for a panel of people that dispense rights and revokes rights at their pleasure.
oh, but they can`t get rid of the list because then it would be unconstitutional to have a government panel that decides who gets to keep their rights and who gets their rights revoked.How does a list make it any more constitutional? it doesnt! the list has no constitutional power or authority to revoke anyone`s rights,just because the DOJ thinks they can bestow constitutional power and authority to the list, doesn`t make it so.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

(legal buyers, not criminal buyers)

yep.

Criminal buyer/sellers are generally only concerned with whether cash is in hand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join