It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour MP Jo Cox has died after being shot three times in the street near her office by an attacker

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackrabbit1
I don't often rant but i think i feel the need. Jo Cox MP has been murdered. Its being reported that this was done by someone apparently shouting “Britain First”. Someone who has clearly absorbed the bigoted, small minded and frankly xenophobic propaganda being peddled at the moment, and it has inflamed him to a point of frenzy.

This is what happens when people like Farage, Johnson and Trump peddle the populist politics of fear and spread the same vile message that groups like Britain First peddle. They manipulate and twist facts to prey on peoples fear and lack of understanding.

Its happened throughout history where dangerous people manipulate the vulnerable to their own ends by pointing the finger at others and telling people what they want to hear. I don’t want to be part of a nation that gives people like this the credibility to point fingers at other nations, nationalities or minorities.

We are not special, we are not better than everyone else, we are not some mighty empire any more. Our problems are not caused by other nations or people who work hard and try to better themselves. We shouldn’t be letting small minded bigots turn the country against itself for some fanciful dream of bygone days where we blame Johnny foreigner for all our woes. This is playing with, and now costing people their lives. This needs to stop now!

It hasn't even been 24 hours and it seems like you are using this as political gain.

In your comments you're basically saying anyone who disagrees with the the EU and mass immigration are wrong and shouldn't be allowed to talk about it or point out any of the facts.

It is the MEDIA that spins everything out of control and is dividing society!!

There are millions who disagree with Jo Cox's politics and support Farage's and Johnson's stance on the EU and immigration, yet they don't go murdering people.

The killer was a loner and a paranoid psycho.
Please don't try associate him with millions of other citizens.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
a reply to: blackrabbit1

With sentiments like that, we may as well never debate anything. Yep, close down all debate.

The issue here is that a person has murdered an MP. What his motivations were are currently unknown. The actually reported statement was "put Britain first", which has a completely differently interpretation to the quote "Britain First".

Both are different things.

"put Britain first" is what millions of people want and is a cornerstone of the "leave" side.
"Britain First" is a tiny niche group of ex-BNP supporters.

Soloproticol's post, directly below yours seems to confirm "Britain First" the other one.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

It hasn't even been 24 hours and it seems like you are using this as political gain.

In your comments you're basically saying anyone who disagrees with the the EU and mass immigration are wrong and shouldn't be allowed to talk about it or point out any of the facts.

There are millions who disagree with Jo Cox's politics and support Farage's and Johnson's stance on the EU and immigration, yet they don't go murdering people.

And yet the Brexit campaign are happy to use sex attacks, assaults, etc in other countries. Frankly, it is all despicable, whichever side of the coin you are on.

Whatever happened to debating the arguments, rather than using vitriol and pouring fuel on to an already unstable fire? I guess it is too much to expect of politicians, although i will say that i have some sympathy with their position in that the media force them to become these caricatures.

Mrs Cox was a "proper" politician who talked the talk but also walked the walk - she was happy to engage with her constituents and actively encouraged it (as many backbench MP's do). She was, in short, committed to her cause. Whilst my political sympathies lie elsewhere, i am sad to say that we have lost a proper representative here.

My wish going forward is that, as a nation, we can go back to proper politics and not the US style popular politics we have descended to.

And, for what it is worth, i offer my condolences to Mrs Cox's family who have lost a special and dedicated lady.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

originally posted by: blackrabbit1
I don't often rant but i think i feel the need. Jo Cox MP has been murdered. Its being reported that this was done by someone apparently shouting “Britain First”. Someone who has clearly absorbed the bigoted, small minded and frankly xenophobic propaganda being peddled at the moment, and it has inflamed him to a point of frenzy.

This is what happens when people like Farage, Johnson and Trump peddle the populist politics of fear and spread the same vile message that groups like Britain First peddle. They manipulate and twist facts to prey on peoples fear and lack of understanding.

Its happened throughout history where dangerous people manipulate the vulnerable to their own ends by pointing the finger at others and telling people what they want to hear. I don’t want to be part of a nation that gives people like this the credibility to point fingers at other nations, nationalities or minorities.

We are not special, we are not better than everyone else, we are not some mighty empire any more. Our problems are not caused by other nations or people who work hard and try to better themselves. We shouldn’t be letting small minded bigots turn the country against itself for some fanciful dream of bygone days where we blame Johnny foreigner for all our woes. This is playing with, and now costing people their lives. This needs to stop now!

My point is that the referendum is about membership of the EU which is a political and economic union. The people mentioned in my post have turned it into a debate about immigration, using any fear mongering they can. They have turned away from debating economic facts, trading projections and reasoned debate.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Im sorry. I was going to keep to the margen on this one but its impossible. A lone far right crazed gunman / knifeman screaming Britain First kills an MP. The brexit vote is postponed as a result. The government has a convenient mártyr as a rallying cry to remember that the UK must be tolerant as she was and not to leave the EU...how convenient.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy1972
Im sorry. I was going to keep to the margen on this one but its impossible. A lone far right crazed gunman / knifeman screaming Britain First kills an MP. The brexit vote is postponed as a result. The government has a convenient mártyr as a rallying cry to remember that the UK must be tolerant as she was and not to leave the EU...how convenient.

The vote hasn't been postponed - they simply suspended campaigning for a day or two - which, frankly, seems to be an entirely reasonable response to this sad situation.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
And yet the Brexit campaign are happy to use sex attacks, assaults, etc in other countries. Frankly, it is all despicable, whichever side of the coin you are on.

These sex attacks and assaults were a result of the migrant crisis which the EU has encouraged.
The EU should be criticized for their failed policies and not brushed under the carpet.

Whatever happened to debating the arguments, rather than using vitriol and pouring fuel on to an already unstable fire? I guess it is too much to expect of politicians, although i will say that i have some sympathy with their position in that the media force them to become these caricatures.

It is the media that is spinning everything out of proportion.
If you actual listen/watch the speeches of the politicians you mentioned, and then compare the MSM analysis on what was said, you would understand what I'm talking about.

Mrs Cox was a "proper" politician who talked the talk but also walked the walk - she was happy to engage with her constituents and actively encouraged it (as many backbench MP's do). She was, in short, committed to her cause. Whilst my political sympathies lie elsewhere, i am sad to say that we have lost a proper representative here.

And, for what it is worth, i offer my condolences to Mrs Cox's family who have lost a special and dedicated lady.

I think we can all agree on that!

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Deleted as I was missing the point. Duh.
edit on 17-6-2016 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

The vote has not been postponed it is still going ahead nobody has ever talked about postponing it

CX

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thomas Mair has been charged...will appear in court tomorrow.

www.bbc.co.uk...

CX.
edit on 17/6/16 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Sad thing is, he’ll get more security than your typical backbencher.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
If this had been a Muslim as the murderer then a whole religion will be condemned, but because it was a far right sympathiser. He must of been a loner with a mental illness. Funny how that works, well it's not, but you catch my drift.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It would have resulted in riots if it were a Muslim. Of course, nobody wants to acknowledge, let alone deal with, the blatant Nazi problem as the case tends to be.

edit on 1SaturdaySaturdayAmerica/Chicago3amSaturday6am06 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

The two sides have stopped campaigning.

The vote will go ahead, as planned, on the original timetabled day, at the original timetabled hour.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

edit on 18-6-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
If this had been a Muslim as the murderer then a whole religion will be condemned, but because it was a far right sympathiser. He must of been a loner with a mental illness. Funny how that works, well it's not, but you catch my drift.

Except there's a whole load of evidence that backs up the lone wolf and mental illness aspects of this particular case, isn't there?

Something up with your vid btw just showing an error in the post above this.
edit on 16pSat, 18 Jun 2016 04:05:16 -050020162016-06-18T04:05:16-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK hopefully video should work now. The video talks about politicians in the uk creating a toxic atmosphere with the debate that effects someone who was a loner with mental issues to carry out such a crime

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Yeah, you got it working.

Listening to him now.
Can't say I disagree with him, apart from one aspect, it's not all one way, this narrative.
For instance, any time someone mentions restricting "numbers" of people migrating here someone else immediately tackles the unfairness of stopping people of another "race".

I'd argue a difference.

I'm in no doubt at all that mentally ill people are at great risk of being tipped over the edge by the media.
Now, I despise Ian Duncan Smith as much as the next chap, but the vitriol thrown his way when he was in charge of the dhss was the perfect trigger to set someone off, wasn't it?
He didn't help himself it's true, but without a ministerial security detail we could have been reading about him...

This case ought to wake everyone up to the dangers of pushing a particular narrative or twisting the other side's one.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Britain First tweeted that even if this nut job was a Britain First sympathiser, he doesn't represent the movement as a whole and they should not be judged by his actions. One could say the same about Muslims, I wonder if any of Britain First see the irony?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join