It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird photo near Deception Island (near Antartica) from Google Maps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If someone could "unstitch" the image, we might be able to id better.

Look at the repeated x pattern and crop sections maybe?

Anyway, it wouldnt have the bell/hood shape.

Cool find, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charizard
Spooky! It really does look like a giant squid! Do we have any sense of scale for this thing? Maybe this will make it onto that What on Earth series!

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Thats why I asked the scale...

Excellent question. I can't seem to get into ATS uploading at the moment, so I tried with Photobucket. Keeping in mind I have no photo skills other than what I can do with PowerPoint, so I screen printed a full zoom in on a baseball field with some vehicles, then without resizing, overlay the two. I'm not sure if it's an accurate representation or not, but was trying for a 1:1 comparision:

Edit: Actually later on, someone gets a measurement of a portion of it being 22 meters, which is definitely larger than the picture comparison here.

edit on 16-6-2016 by saint4God because: Added 2nd member's quote

edit on 16-6-2016 by saint4God because: See Edit Note

edit on 16-6-2016 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
a reply to: LSU0408

It's not frozen. They do plenty of tourist expeditions on and around the island. That area is quite volcanic.

Methane gas bubble perhaps?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gin

Thanks. Pretty crazy though. It looks like a squid with a light bulb for a butt.

Gin

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Heh maybe, would have to be really giant sized bubbles to show up like that in the pictures. Good ol' global warming relieving itself.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm sure this article is where my U.K. friend spotted it. First thought was you all had to see this
edit on 16-6-2016 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: saint4God

Copy and paste your coordinates into your Google search bar and switch to 3D Earth... Whatever this is, it's making waves behind it.

www.google.com...'56.5%22S+60%C2%B057'35.9%22W/@-63.0574906,-60.9618602,1031a,20y,12.21h,44.01t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0 :0x0!8m2!3d-63.0490278!4d-60.9599722

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Isn't there some huge, white, almost humanoid "monster" swimming around Antarctica according to some Jap whaling boats?

Either there are reports or I dreamed it... same difference, actually.

Could this be a squid 'breaching' through phosphorescence? A really really big nuclear powered 'squid'?

Cool find, whatever it turns out to be...

Found a little info on what your talking about, all speculation and a few blurry images and video.
I hadn't heard of this cryptid yet, and I'm really interested in this stuff so thanks for your post.

cryptidz.wikia.com...
edit on 16-6-2016 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Forgot link

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
did google just take it down?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

i just checked google earth , its from 2013

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

almost 23 meters

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charizard
Spooky! It really does look like a giant squid! Do we have any sense of scale for this thing? Maybe this will make it onto that What on Earth series!

92 ft😉.

Just go to Google maps. Look at the options to save or share. You'll see the "measure distance" drop the pin at the tip, and drag the screen.
edit on 16-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

From Google Earth, there's a scale at the bottom right which would put this thing at about 200 feet, before submersion.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: saint4God

It's a big, nasty rock island sticking straight up from the sea floor. Definitely NOT somewhere I'd ever wish to be stranded.

Send Bear Grylls there.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
very cool

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sail Rock in the South Shetland Islands maybe? I can't find a picture of it unfortunately. From this website

geonames.usgs.gov...:5:0::NO:
5_ANTAR_ID:13158
edit on 16-6-2016 by paradisepurple because: /

Antarctica Detail
Antarctica ID: 13158
Name: Sail Rock
Class: Island
Latitude: -63.0333333
Longitude: -60.95
Elevation: 30
Description: Insular rock, 30 m high, lying 7 mi SW of Deception Island, in the South Shetland Islands. This name, which dates back to at least 1822, was probably given by sealers. From a distance, the rock is reported to resemble a ship under sail, but at close range it is more like a house with a gable roof.

It won't let me paste the actual page link for some reason.
edit on 16-6-2016 by paradisepurple because: /

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: saint4God
Check this out, you can zoom in on a single person in a massive crowd clear as day: www.gigapixel.com...

That would make the coolest Where's Wally pic ever.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Isn't there some huge, white, almost humanoid "monster" swimming around Antarctica according to some Jap whaling boats?

Either there are reports or I dreamed it... same difference, actually.

Could this be a squid 'breaching' through phosphorescence? A really really big nuclear powered 'squid'?

Cool find, whatever it turns out to be...

The Ningen
Apparently first sighted by a Japanese whale research ship, the Ningen taken for a submarine until the crew got a closer look.

Reportedly observed on multiple occasions by crew members of government-operated "whale research" ships, these so-called "Ningen" (lit. "humans") are said to be completely white in color with an estimated length of 20 to 30 meters. Eyewitnesses describe them as having a human-like shape, often with legs, arms, and even five-fingered hands. Sometimes they are described as having fins or a large mermaid-like tail instead of legs. The only visible facial features are the eyes and mouth.
pinktentacle.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A fishing boat. Perhaps the lost andrea gail.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Apparently first sighted by a Japanese whale research ship, the Ningen taken for a submarine until the crew got a closer look.

Eyewitnesses describe them as having a human-like shape, often with legs, arms, and even five-fingered hands. Sometimes they are described as having fins or a large mermaid-like tail instead of legs. The only visible facial features are the eyes and mouth.

Humans come up with the weirdest stuff, in Japan doubley so. Bless them for continually making our lives interesting.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join