It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Johnson: "Gun Restrictions Make Us Less Safe".

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson Says Gun Restrictions Make Us Less Safe.

"I understand how so many people can believe that if you restrict this kind of weapon you can prevent this kind of incident," said Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson in reaction to the murders in Orlando and the political calls to further restrict access to certain guns that arose after the shooting.

"But there's just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that it makes us any safer, and in fact restricting guns makes things less safe, that's the camp that I'm in," he said in a phone interview this morning.

Johnson went on to consider Switzerland, where most adult males are part of a trained militia and have weapons in their possession, and has a lower gun crime rate than America.

At-least one of the candidates got it right.

Despite what the article says, he is not in the same camp as Donald Trump.

Trump is in the same camp as Hillary regarding the watch lists, which should come as no surprise. Trump has been one of her biggest fans and supporters.

edit on 16-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

"But there's just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that it makes us any safer, and in fact restricting guns makes things less safe, that's the camp that I'm in," he said in a phone interview this morning.

Except Australia. And New Zealand. And England. And Germany. And Canada. And Switzerland (to clarify: not the guns themselves). And Norway. And Denmark. And...

Let's take my own country of Oz as a nice example. Ten mass shootings in the ten years leading up to the Port Arthur massacre which sparked this country's gun restriction. Not a single one since. Now, I'm not saying it isn't a coincidence... But it obviously isn't a coincidence.

Gun restrictions don't make things less safe, gun restrictions major enough to do anything worthwhile would make America less safe (in the short term), because there'd be mass riots from people who like their guns and don't want to lose their guns.

Let's be honest though: The REAL issue is America's culture and economy. Last I checked, even if you discount all gun incidents entirely, its homicide crime rate is still higher than Oz and the UK.
edit on 16/6/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
However, I will state that I don't think gun restrictions are what America should be looking at right now. Fixing the economy and government corruption is paramount. To put it plainly: I agree with his cause, but I think his reason for it is incorrect.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Australia has had multiple mass shootings since the ban, where do you get your news from?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Johnson went on to consider Switzerland, where most adult males are part of a trained militia and have weapons in their possession, and has a lower gun crime rate than America.

I really wish people would stop spouting this meme. Yes. Most of Switzerland have some military training and a gun. At the same time though, it's kind of hard to use that gun when you have no ammo. Is Johnson suggesting we regulate ammo instead of guns? To be fair it might be a work around the 2nd Amendment.

I liked Johnson for the most part. Not enough to vote for him but he seemed better than most of the other clowns running. With this though he's shown he's just playing the same games as all the other politicians.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Except Australia. And New Zealand. And England. And Germany. And Canada. And Switzerland. And Norway. And Denmark. And...

Let's take my own country of Oz as a nice example. Ten mass shootings in the ten years leading up to the Port Arthur massacre which sparked this country's gun restriction. Not a single one since. Now, I'm not saying it isn't a coincidence... But it obviously isn't a coincidence.

Gun restrictions don't make things less safe, gun restrictions major enough to do anything worthwhile would make America less safe (in the short term), because there'd be mass riots from people who like their guns and don't want to lose their guns.

Except for every country that it seems to have worked in, there is another where it doesn't work at all. Funny how you ignore that fact.

Oh wait, it didn't actually work in Austrailia

www.ncpa.org...

thefederalist.com...
edit on 16-6-2016 by VivreLibre because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
So, from what I have seen in the last few years the bad guys have slaughtered a whole bunch of people with these assault weapons. Right? And the good guys keep saying in essence, let them have them because to restrict them would impinge on OUR right to have them too. And that having these guns in the hands of the good guys makes us safer as suggested by Mr. Johnson. OK. I've heard this argument.

So my question is this. Where are all the good guys with these assault weapons hiding, the ones that will make things more safe. Can anyone name one example of when or where a good guy stopped a bad guy with these weapons? Sure sure, the argument will go " well if it were not for all the restrictions on US, the good guys, we would be out patrolling the streets and protecting America." But I don't think that those restrictions are that strict. We can buy them on almost any corner gun store and with proper registration carry them with us and have them in our cars and trucks to pull out at a moments notice and save the day.

So where ARE the Good Guys with these guns.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Ah, my apologies, I should have checked first. I couldn't remember anything major occurring in my life time. There have been four that I can find, which total less than a third of the deaths at Port Arthur. To put it plainly, I misspoke. There has not been a similar massacre since. The largest death toll has been five, including the perpetrator.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Germany?

Didnt Hitler confiscate people's guns and specifically from Jews?

France's strict gun laws did absolutely nothing to stop the attack...

This article shows the UK's murder rate since 1960.

Firearms were effectively banned in 1996 but homicides continued to rise peaking in 2003...

I would agree that the number of "gun related" murders are down but I dont see that theres been any reduction in murder nor violence, at-least not as a result of gun restrictions.
edit on 16-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Maybe Switzerland isnt the best example but its not a bad example.

People are heavily armed and they have an incredibly low crime rate.

That aside, hes pro 2A in this country and for me personally, thats my single biggest voting issue.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

I really wish people would stop spouting this meme. Yes. Most of Switzerland have some military training and a gun. At the same time though, it's kind of hard to use that gun when you have no ammo. Is Johnson suggesting we regulate ammo instead of guns? To be fair it might be a work around the 2nd Amendment.

I liked Johnson for the most part. Not enough to vote for him but he seemed better than most of the other clowns running. With this though he's shown he's just playing the same games as all the other politicians.

Is that the situation for the Swiss? Is ammunition prohibitively difficult to obtain?

If so, I'd say that certainly would lay that meme to rest. I like Johnson and I often hear Switzerland brought up in the debate in this fashion. But regulating ammo heavily would certainly be a way to restrict people's rights to bear arms. It would be like wielding a sword without a blade.

And I do believe our politicians HAVE used/tried to use this method against us.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I have to say, there really isn't anything I disagree with, in his platform.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Here he says nothing. He trots out the old hackneyed line of there is no evidence to suggest restrictions would make us safer and then states categorically that in FACT, restricting them make us less safe. CITING NO EVIDENCE. So he says it is not ok to say one thing with no evidence yet turns around to say the opposite WITH NO EVIDENCE. Pretty bogus if you ask me. And then he makes it clearer by saying "that's the camp that I am in"....That's all, that's the camp I'm in.

We don't need a leader that speaks to a specific 'camp' and then leaves it at that. On one of the most vibrant issues and debates in the country this candidate first says exactly NOTHING and then admits that he has nothing more to offer on the subject than, I'm with you guys and against those guys.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire
Yeah, getting rid of guns works because criminals follow laws. The following thread shows that much:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I was under the impression that guns are a huge no no in the UK.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
#FeelTheJohnson

Only person left in the race that believes in personal liberties and personal responsibilities.

For those conservatives that have become disgruntled with an ever creeping government, believe in the Constitution and don't have a dog in the social issues fight that the GOP insist on.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
#FeelTheJohnson

Only person left in the race that believes in personal liberties and personal responsibilities.

For those conservatives that have become disgruntled with an ever creeping government, believe in the Constitution and don't have a dog in the social issues fight that the GOP insist on.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

You're my new hero.

#FeeltheJohnson

I've been a Trump supporter, but his more recent anti-constitutional stances have left me rather disgusted.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Except Australia. And New Zealand. And England. And Germany. And Canada. And Switzerland (to clarify: not the guns themselves). And Norway. And Denmark. And...

Let's be honest though: The REAL issue is America's culture and economy. Last I checked, even if you discount all gun incidents entirely, its homicide crime rate is still higher than Oz and the UK.

Forgot the Sydney hostage crisis already?

Let me counter with the London train bombings, 2 France massacres and a Belgian one.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Ah, yes, the Sydney crisis. Had the one of the victims possessed a gun... Well, it's a coin flip as to whether or not it would have successfully prevented the problem or tripled the death count.

Let me counter with Orlando, Roswell, Moultrie, Piketon, Appling, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Belfair, Glendale, Kalamazoo, Chesapeake.

Orlando aside, these are incidents with a death toll greater than or equal to five (most are exactly 5 for some reason), and all in the last 6 months.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

S&F he is no ones fool, I have said it a million times and I will say it a million more, they can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands! (Likely after the jack wagon trying to take it has had to dodge or hide from the ammo)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Like I just told someone else.

If you want to make a free society safer, then just take away some freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join