It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Sales Surge Among Gays, Lesbians After Orlando Shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is certainly to be expected...but it's worth noting from a political standpoint.
American citizens of all segments of the population are realizing that a well-armed citizen is the best defense against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

The fact that the LGBT community is now more aware that they need to be armed in order to protect themselves, is also going to put Hillary Clinton's anti-gun agenda in a difficult position.

It's recently been said by a prominent gay political pundit that " 'Gun Free Zones' are 'Safe Spaces' for Terrorists".
I think that sentiment is beginning to be taken to heart by many segments of the American citizenry...including the LGBT community.

DENVER -- Gun sales are surging in the wake of Sunday’s deadly mass shooting in Orlando, Fla. The tragedy is generating new debate over gun control reform and the right to bear arms. Gun shops typically see a spike in customers after mass shootings.

But this time, many are seeing shoppers they’ve never really seen before: More gays and lesbians. George Horne, the owner of The Gun Room, Denver’s oldest firearms dealer, said Tuesday business is booming at his store.

"For this time of year I’d say its three to four times what we normally have," he said. Background checks that once took minutes can now take hours. It's a sales surge similar to what happened after Sandy Hook and the Aurora theater shootings.

“We’re not surprised by it,” Horne said. However, what’s different this time around is the clientele. Mike Smith, a firearms instructor in Colorado Springs, is one of many closely tracking the sudden surge in gays and lesbians buying weapons. “I think right now because of what happened, people are looking for answers,” he said.

“You walk into a gun shop and you expect to see people, frankly, who look like me. I think we forget we’re a country of all people, not just people who fit that predetermined mold.”

The Pink Pistols is a national gun club for gays and lesbians. It saw its membership soar from about 1,500 members on Saturday to 3,500 on Monday. Dozens of new chapters are springing up, including one Smith is creating in Colorado Springs.

He said it’s something he feels compelled to do, even though he’s heterosexual. “I look at it as a disenfranchised minority that needs someone who’s willing to say I’m a resource who’s here and willing to help,” he said.

Another chapter also appears to be forming in the Denver area. The Pink Pistols typically meet on a regular basis at firing ranges to practice shooting.

kdvr.com...

West Hollywood Inundated With AMAZING Pro-Gun, Pro-Gay Posters

On Wednesday morning, posters suddenly appeared in West Hollywood, California featuring a gay version of the Gadsden Flag featuring a rattlesnake on top of the gay rainbow. The flags also had the hashtag #ShootBack indicating a more proactive approach to gay self-defense.

If one picture is worth a thousand words, the series of posters surely represented an eloquent plea to the LGBT community and other Americans to stand as one (thus the "Don't Tread On Me symbol of the American Revolution), as well as a marked attempt to encourage the LGBT community to eschew their traditional pacifist role and take up arms to defend themselves, in the manner of Americans from the Minutemen of the Revolutionary War to the armed service members who defend American values to this very day.

www.dailywire.com...

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I would say it is a different story here.

For years the LGBT community has been the target of law enforcement, and only when they rioted did such change. It took many court cases for them to be able to come out of the closet and have some sense of equality, yet it was not enough, for society still hounded them. Rhetoric before this was harsh, there was even preachers and well known figures, all proclaiming that such should be killed. Even before the Republican field narrowed to one person there was the "Kill the Gay" rally, where presidential candidates were on stage with a preacher who advocated such in front of an audience. And now there is Orlando, and not even before the bodies are buried and the families, survivors and victims have had a chance to grieve, at least 2 other reported cases of where people are threatening to do the exact same thing in other cities.

A group who never wanted to be violent, who has sought to be equal, constantly kicked and prodded, attacked and ultimately persecuted, just wanting privacy and equality have reached a point where now there is a viable threat to their own safety and their families safety is having to make a choice of conscious about if they should or should not exercise their second amendment rights, and have a loaded fire arm, and this is surprising why? Can you blame them? Lawmakers are not doing anything, and in some states, they can be fired and denied services for being a part of the LGBT community, which would include law enforcement. If anything this is starting to escalate and get far more dangerous.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
A group who never wanted to be violent, who has sought to be equal, constantly kicked and prodded, attacked and ultimately persecuted, just wanting privacy and equality have reached a point where now there is a viable threat to their own safety and their families safety is having to make a choice of conscious about if they should or should not exercise their second amendment rights, and have a loaded fire arm, and this is surprising why? Can you blame them? Lawmakers are not doing anything, and in some states, they can be fired and denied services for being a part of the LGBT community, which would include law enforcement. If anything this is starting to escalate and get far more dangerous.

First off, you can NOT generalize a group of people as to their propensity toward violence just based on their sexuality. That's an asinine comment. Yes, they generally just want to be accepted as normal and not treated any differently, but there are certainly a "militant" arm of the LGBT community who use whatever tactics are necessary to try and further their agenda.

Second, choosing to own a firearm (and possibly even to carry one on your person every day, as I do) is not a "choice of conscience" as much as a choice to not put one's self in the scenario of only being able to be a victim. If someone is opposed to firearms based solely on ideology, then I would posit that they are becoming educated to the realities of living in a society where some people are crazy and go wacky, sometimes with a firearm. I disagree that this is a crisis of conscience...it's more of like a shedding of apathy and ideological ignorance.

And let me add that owning a firearm (or many) is not something that should be taken lightly. Just like with legislation and policy, knee-jerk reactions to emotionally horrifying events does not generally work out well, so these LGBT folks who are running to purchase firearms are hopefully taking all of the safety and training courses one should so that they feel comfortable with a gun. The last thing we need in society are people who are scared of guns running out and buying them and never training with them.
edit on 16-6-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Better be careful !!!

Obama and Jeh Johnson will categorize this and add to their "watch" lists !!!

Looks like the population is waking up to their tricks.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
left wing indoctrination kills

How many people that where at the club, not only will carry, but ignore "Gun Free Zones". Now they are criminals for wanting to be able to protect themselves. When it comes down to it, only you can take care of you..which is the total opposite of the left, only the government can take care of you.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
An Entire gun free country is a safe space for totalitarians.

The founding fathers where effing genius's.

Who do you listen to ?

The FF weren't perfect, but they are were a damn sight better than what we have today.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
GAY LIVES MATTER.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Good!

They have every right to protect themselves.

Especially since they are a target.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If only they were allowed to protect themselves in Orlando.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think a lot of LGBT people are waking up to the fact that they are no longer the golden children of the Left that must be protected. They've been replaced by immigrants on the importance scale.

They are probably afraid they will soon end up on the same importance level as white males AKA the bottom of the barrel

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: DBCowboy

If only they were allowed to protect themselves in Orlando.

Cowards don't look for fair fights.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
IF the Gun RIGHTS, and Gay RIGHTS activists joined forces.

'The enemy of my enemy'.

They would be unstoppable.

Watch how fast Gun Control gets dropped.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yes it can be generalize a group of people, when it comes to their sexuality, and the violence and discrimination which have been done against them. In the southern and south eastern part of the country there are no legal protections or recourse at all.

And everyone mentions the gay agenda, yet fails to explain it, except it only appears to be fear based and driven, by those who would cherry pick from a set of religious texts, and yet ignore everything else when it is inconvenient.

I am not sure how many people in the LGBT community you know or have dealt with, but I have dealt with many in at least 10 to 15 states and it seems as those they were not interest in having or own firearms, even the more militant ones. And the more militant ones were more interested in using the courts to fight their battles, rather than take matters into their own hands. So if that thought never was there or wanted, then yes it becomes a matter of conscious, a choice, where they have to weigh out if they dare violate what they are to become something they would rather not want to do. And it seems as those who are wanting to have firearms, tend to go into careers that would advocate such, and still not want to own them.

Not many can afford private security, and would prefer not to go down that route, however as long as congress does nothing, and in states and communities where there are no protections, there is but one choice that they are being left to, and that is to go out and get such, and that will weight heavy on their minds.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Orlando was a wake-up call to the LGBT community...that Radical Islamic Terrorism is now targeting them, specifically.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't get it. Why can't they just call the police?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Well at least it looks like a lot of them are getting firearms training.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Because if you call the police there is a good chance they will kill you and maybe apologize to your relatives.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

For that matter, why own a fire extinguisher?

Just call the fire department.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Why own smoke detectors?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join