It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect: Why Can't It Be Faulty Memory?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: Ruiner1978

But you don't have a GCSE in psychology. More applicable to the subject in hand.

I completely agree with that.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

No we all were watching the TV when it said wartime entertainer and singer Vera lynne died at home today surrounded by family, they played her songs interviewed people and showed wartime footage then played it out with her picture and birth and death date. But I'm going to agree with you because I never saw her die in the flesh I only got it through the BBC amnd I am a great one for saying trust your eyes, if it happens in front of you and you see it then its real.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFart

You make an awful amount of assumptions.
I'm not American and, incidentally, I have a GCSE in geography. I admit, that certainly doesn't make me an expert, but it certainly means I'm educated on the subject.

The video was more to illustrate how easily we (as humans) can be mislead into misplacing countries.

I was more referring to what you wrote, not the video.

Unless I'm wrong, the mandela effect theory and most of these testimonies originated from American conspiracy boards and blogs and American conspiracy videos.

But I'm OK to be proven wrong.

I know of testimonies that neither came from America or the Internet.

I don't know what point you are trying to make?

Misplacing countries or having a faulty memory is certainly not limited to Americans.

I was just saying these testimonies mainly come from the US, and it's not uncommon for Americans to have incorrect representation of the world, being an almost insular culture given the sheer size of the country (the same can be said about any other huge country)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas
Fair enough. I have to believe you. But I would say that all those memories are reconstructed, otherwise she would have been dead. Always difficult cos you would say I'm ignorant to your experiences and I would say your most probably not being objective in trying to get to the bottom of your families perception of what happened. I believe you to be the foundations of the confirmation bias, completely unintentional though I'm not gonna patronise you with dreams becoming memories talk.

But thankyou for responding.

For all of you interested in other possible explaination try "reconstructive memory".
edit on 16-6-2016 by GemmyMcGemJew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

No I'm agreeing with you' I never saw her die with my eyes. I did however see it on BBC NEWS, now I know the BBC have a video already made for people such as the queen when she dies they just play it so perhaps they did the same with Vera Lynne and do with other celebrities and someone played it by mistake. But the someone would have had to put her birth date and death date in, unless they update them at the start of every year to be ready. But I never saw her die in person I just saw it reported on TV..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You make an awful amount of assumptions.
I'm not American and, incidentally, I have a GCSE in geography. I admit, that certainly doesn't make me an expert, but it certainly means I'm educated on the subject.

The video was more to illustrate how easily we (as humans) can be mislead into misplacing countries.

I was more referring to what you wrote, not the video.

Unless I'm wrong, the mandela effect theory and most of these testimonies originated from American conspiracy boards and blogs and American conspiracy videos.

But I'm OK to be proven wrong.

I know of testimonies that neither came from America or the Internet.

I don't know what point you are trying to make?

Misplacing countries or having a faulty memory is certainly not limited to Americans.

I was just saying these testimonies mainly come from the US, and it's not uncommon for Americans to have incorrect representation of the world, being an almost insular culture given the sheer size of the country (the same can be said about any other huge country)

My point is your suggestion of uneducated Americans not knowing where countries are is not relevant to my and other's experiences.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

My point is your suggestion of uneducated Americans not knowing where countries are is not relevant to my and other's experiences.

And my post wasn't in response to you but to GemmyMcGemJew . It was a general observation
edit on 16-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Everyone has faulty memory. The simple fact of the matter is that humans have pretty bad memory to begin with and it only gets worse over time. Study after study has shown this to be true. Even the greatest minds and memories in history have been subject to this limitation.

We all do, and we always have had faulty memories. I am fairly certain that myths such as David and Goliath for example are the product of faulty memory, the telephone game so to speak. Things change over time.

We have never, previous to the internet, had the ability to instantly check our memories of long held beliefs though.

It is no surprise to me that the Mandela effect is a fairly recent phenomenon, how would we even have checked in the past? We couldn't have, and we didn't, we simply had conversations in which we realised we had remembered things wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

And my post wasn't in response to you but to GemmyMcGemJew . It was a general observation

Well I thought you were including me in that observation as you respond to a response to me.
Misunderstanding on my part.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
We couldn't have, and we didn't, we simply had conversations in which we realised we had remembered things wrong.

Are you claiming people weren't having discussion about movies or books in the past? Seriously?

The Bible is 2000 years old, and only in the last years people claimed to remember some verses differently (while seeming to ignore different versions exist).
edit on 16-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20865657]pavmas[/post for the record I don't require you to see it in person, I'm just stating my opinion you embedded the wrong information to begin with.

Cheers for the responses. It's nice you are being civilised when I question your perception.

It's also nice to see you dissect your own memories for other possible explaination. Much appreciated and refreshing to see.

Just to confirm vera isn't dead, just incase you thought she was. She was the victim of a celebrity death hoax recently but has not died. Still alive at 99.

She is the oldest person to have a no.1 album in the British charts. From this information I will "assume" you may have seen a news report on this achievement, then them looking back at her life and what she has accomplished. They often do this when people make a comeback. I can only think the date on the screen was her birthday, misinterpreting the year as her year of death. She has done lots of charity work too say you may have seen an exposure to her charity? When we see lack and white clips of someone's life it is easy to assume it is a report on their life, as in they have died already. I dunno.

Just trying to use reason here but I can be completely wrong on it.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Xcalibur254

Everyone has faulty memory. The simple fact of the matter is that humans have pretty bad memory to begin with and it only gets worse over time. Study after study has shown this to be true. Even the greatest minds and memories in history have been subject to this limitation.

We all do, and we always have had faulty memories. I am fairly certain that myths such as David and Goliath for example are the product of faulty memory, the telephone game so to speak. Things change over time.

We have never, previous to the internet, had the ability to instantly check our memories of long held beliefs though.

It is no surprise to me that the Mandela effect is a fairly recent phenomenon, how would we even have checked in the past? We couldn't have, and we didn't, we simply had conversations in which we realised we had remembered things wrong.

You make a good point and I'd totally jump on board if we were just talking about isolated instances.
If it was just me remembering South America and Australia in different specific places then yeah.
But Everyone, every single person I talk to about this (including people who don't even surf the net, let alone watch conspiracy youtube vids) remembers them being in the same different places.
The only people who have said they don't are a few members on this site and they're the minority.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

We couldn't have, and we didn't, we simply had conversations in which we realised we had remembered things wrong.

Are you claiming people weren't having discussion about movies or books in the past? Seriously?

The Bible is 2000 years old, and only in the last years people claimed to remember some verses differently (while seeming to ignore different versions exist).

Lol no, I am not claiming that at all. What I am saying is that in the past we simply had our memories, and we accepted that for what it was. Then, if a lot of people corrected us we simply accepted that we had remembered it wrong.

Now it seems as if a very small group of people are suddenly out of sync. So you tell me, are ALL of the examples of ME correct for you? Every one? Because if only one is not then where does that leave this theory?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

When u interact with these people who don't surf the net, what reference are you using? Do you have a map with you or do you ask them to draw on a bit of paper where they think they are? Would be interesting to know for validity reasons.

Many people in the UK cannot accurately draw this tiny island. It's not because they are dumb, it's just they haven't actively saught out to be skilled enough to accurately draw it or they couldn't care. Either way a failure in the education system.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You must understand though that the only way to check this is excluded by the very theory. I used to love maps, I would spend hours looking at them, finding the little places, the unknown ones, just because I loved maps.

Maps change because we choose one projection or the other. I remember the first time I actually saw a map that was not northern hemisphere centric. Do you know how big Africa really is?

Africa

Just look at it in reality, and then think about it for a minute. What is wrong here, what we learned or what is actually true.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew

When u interact with these people who don't surf the net, what reference are you using? Do you have a map with you or do you ask them to draw on a bit of paper where they think they are? Would be interesting to know for validity reasons.

Many people in the UK cannot accurately draw this tiny island. It's not because they are dumb, it's just they haven't actively saught out to be skilled enough to accurately draw it or they couldn't care. Either way a failure in the education system.

I've done it in different ways. Sometimes just bringing up a world map pic on my phone and asking if anything looks off. Sometimes starting off asking what countries are close to Australia and NZ, answers are always the same, nothing's close. Had different reactions.
I've always tried not to influence the answers, letting them tell me rather than making a statement about where it "should" be to them.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

You must understand though that the only way to check this is excluded by the very theory. I used to love maps, I would spend hours looking at them, finding the little places, the unknown ones, just because I loved maps.

Maps change because we choose one projection or the other. I remember the first time I actually saw a map that was not northern hemisphere centric. Do you know how big Africa really is?

Africa

Just look at it in reality, and then think about it for a minute. What is wrong here, what we learned or what is actually true.

Yes I understand about different projections. The thing is though the positions we remember aren't now on any maps or globes that I know of. Only on photoshopped pics done by people who have the same memories of them.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Africa

Yes I understand about different projections. The thing is though the positions we remember aren't now on any maps or globes that I know of. Only on photoshopped pics done by people who have the same memories of them.

But isn't that the whole point? The fact that the theory itself excludes any possible refutation is telling here. We can't say it is wrong because the theory itself denies us that option.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Problem is you start the conversation saying does anything look odd. You've already influenced the persons reaction with a statement like that. They are now looking for something wrong, you asking suggests something is wrong, so to not seem "stupid" they will say something is wrong, in the hope that was the reaction you were looking for.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: angus1745
This 'Mandela Effect' thing is and always has been utterly retarded if you ask me.

It is 100% absolute twaddle based on faulty memory. Even the name of the thing perfectly illustrates a text book example of it. Mandela's prison 'death' confused in peoples minds with the death of Rudolph Hess in Spandau prison.

Some really retarded examples around which all pretty much boil down to exactly the same explanation. Faulty memory. Human error. Nothing more. Then people notice that others minds have made exactly the same mistake and it's then: 'ooh what's going on here??' Doi.

The Berenstain Bears one is especially muppetesque. A more accurate name for this phenomenon would be 'The Dumbass Effect'

The fact that Mandela effect is so popular among people of the conspiracy crowd leaves me wondering whether that crowd isn't actually composed mainly of gullible dumbasses who instead of questioning and critically examining information, will simply and blindly gobble up anything that has a "conspiracy label" on it.

There's probably 1% honest and serious conspiracy searchers in the field and 99% "share if you like" mindless followers.

Spot on. I get a good chuckle when conspiracy theorists, especially those who run some of the channels on Youtube, talk # about the mass being sheep, when they are just as bad at labeling everything a psy-op or a conspiracy and have followers who lack critical thinking skills. There may be sheep in the mass, but a good percentage of the conspiracy world is just the same.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join