It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Vet's Quick Actions Saved Dozens of Lives During Orlando Nightclub Shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Also I did say they should be concealed, privately armed guards

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Our laws were changed to that effect in SC recently, also. If you were referring to SC, my apologies...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

I wasn't, but that's good to know!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere
You reckon that the shooter was there to take out one individual, an enemy of the state, per se, and this was given the green light for a massacre?

Kinda like TWA 800.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If someone would PM me with how this guy got in in the first place? Everyone else is frisked and or passed through a metal detector, aren't they?

He shot his way in.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Thats expensive for all establishments to maintain. Its easer for airlines to have 'hidden sky marshals', they can afford it.

But a privately owned place has big overhead already. This is a one time event for that club. Hard to guard against and harder to prevent the next one, wherever else mental defectives choose to explode.

One thing is sure, the more laws to guard against the more vulnerable people will become.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

people cannot help themselves, they are scared and use gun control as a baby uses a pacifier.

Don't blame people for pushing gun control, it's just what scared people do.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Thanks, that is why the' system' failed everyone.

Killers don't care, they have no sense of fair play, they are purposely trying to be as unfair as possible.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Kali74

If he had a gun, the death toll might have been even fewer, just saying.

I get what you are saying and you are right...IT could have been less. In this situation I would have had pretty good trust in this bouncer to diffuse the situation. However most of us are not trained the way he was.

I'm looking at it from my stand point. How do you know who the shooter in a situation like this. How do you know there is only one or more than one? I mean we are talking a very chaotic event here with lots of moving parts. If I were in that situation and was carrying there is no way that I could asses that situation quickly enough (without the proper training, like military or police force). Especially if a heard high caliber type of weapon. This ain't #ing Call of Duty people (not directing any anger towards you OP).

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I'm looking at it from my stand point. How do you know who the shooter in a situation like this.

As I understand it, he came around twice to finish people off. In the beginning, its difficult like you say, if you're an early victim, it doesn'tt matter if you are armed or not.

If though, you survive long enough, and if you have time to see him walking around going pop, pop to people already down… then thats your moment.

I know, full of ifs… there are no ifs in a gun free zone, just continuing carnage. Even the cops know they can't stop events, they typically show up after.

Having a gun in a situation like that requires one to step up though and try to make that little bit of difference, if one can.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

As I understand it, in this case, the police waited about 3 HOURS to address the situation. By that time, the majority of the victims were either already dead or would be from laying there bleeding out for hours. Sadly, when minutes counted, the police (in this case) were hours away.
edit on 6/16/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

As I understand it, in this case, the police waited about 3 HOURS to address the situation. By that time, the majority of the victims were either already dead or would be from laying there bleeding out for hours. Sadly, when minutes counted, the police (in this case) were hours away.

Right, they're "first responders" not preventers. People on the scene have that role, limited as is.

They lost the right to defend themselves, it was taken from them. The only right they are left with is the right to die.

In that regard big shame on cicvil authorities everywhere.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
There are many countries worldwide with many guns, but none of them has a mass shooting every week...
It´s not the guns that pull the trigger, it´s their owners.
So, there must be something really wrong with the gunowners, the society in the US.

Maybe the wild, wild west really should try gun laws:
Gun Deaths in Australia, before nad after gun laws

Just saying...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

With over 100 MILLION legal firearm owners in the entire country, if that was the case, we would all be dead by now. The problem is a political one, created by politicians. Politicians, I may add, that are protected by men with legal firearms.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This isn't a gun thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Apologies. Back on topic, I wonder if the club staff were all incapacitated or just ill trained on emergency procedures in this case? This is the only story I have heard, so far, of someone taking charge and assisting in the evacuation of the premises. According to the fore codes, every staff member must be aware of and trained in the emergency exit procedure. The procedure of evacuating the patrons in a fire is very similar to this instance because there would be the same level of panic, fear, and shock. Being well trained to address these issues, as was the veteran in this thread, is essential for your business. It only takes on tragic incident to bring this lack of compliance to light. Unfortunately, this is also the WRONG time to find out when your patrons lives are at stake.

If you wish to run a business of this type, then you MUST know, follow, and train your staff in these emergency procedures. I understand that when panic sets in during a crisis, it can affect them as well. This is why you train for this, by performing mandatory emergency drills. You make it a reflex action for them. They become better employees, your business will be better prepared, and your patrons will be safer. If this is not done, then it is IMO willful negligence and opens up you and your business to heavy fines or even prison time if found guilty.

Franky, IMO, it is not worth the risk to not do these simple things. If a staff member refuses or does not take it seriously, then replace them with someone that does.

Fortunately, in this small instance, there was a trained person there to save this group of frightened and panicking people.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I'm looking at it from my stand point. How do you know who the shooter in a situation like this. How do you know there is only one or more than one? I mean we are talking a very chaotic event here with lots of moving parts. If I were in that situation and was carrying there is no way that I could asses that situation quickly enough (without the proper training, like military or police force).

You don't. The only thing that you can do is to hold a position and maybe buy some time for the people around you to escape. Try to make contact with 911 and let them know where you are and that you will comply with orders from UNIFORMED police who are in contact with 911. If the shooter comes your way, you will recognize them easy enough. If you get a clean shot, take it. Shoot to kill, don't try to wound. YOU have to make sure that you hit only your target. There are no laws in place to protect you, if you accidentally hit someone else. YOU are going to have seconds to react, while the media and prosecutors are going to have days to second guess you.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Marine Corps Times

When Imran Yousuf, a bouncer at the Pulse nightclub, heard the gunfire break out early Sunday morning, he told CBS News that recognized it immediately.

"You could just tell it was a high caliber," said Yousuf, a former sergeant who just left the Marine Corps last month. That's when his Marine Corps training kicked in, he said. He ran toward a locked door that people had huddled around, too terrified to move.

“I'm screaming 'Open the door! Open the door!'” Yousuf told CBS. “And no one is moving because they are scared.

"There was only one choice — either we all stay there and we all die, or I could take the chance, and I jumped over to open that latch and we got everyone that we can out of there."

The tragedy at Pulse has left the US shaken so I think it's important to share hero stories. This is the first one I found. Imran Yousuf estimates that about 70 people made it out of the exit he created. If not for him the death toll may have been 119. I hope more stories like this come out, focusing on the good even in terrible situations is what helps heal.

Would a trained marine really say he could tell it was "high caliber"? Seems odd as a 5.56mm round is a pretty small caliber round.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

People being too scared to move and people running into bathrooms are the number one reasons why they get killed.

It's never too late to be prepared, I myself will be running scenarios in my own home with my gf in case of home invasion, then we will move to how to protect yourself in a larger open space.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is the first I have read this, thank you for posting it!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join