It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need Common Sense Abortion Restrictions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Not everyone is going to be competent to decide to have an abortion.

So ... just taking this a step further ... you're going to decide who's "competent" now?

If not you, who?

(That addresses a much larger question, btw.)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

^5 and an Amen! No gun restrictions,so no abortion restrictions! Anyone and everyone can have a gun AND an abortion,on demand! GENIUS!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Metallicus

Not everyone is going to be competent to decide to have an abortion.

So ... just taking this a step further ... you're going to decide who's "competent" now?

If not you, who?

(That addresses a much larger question, btw.)

That is exactly the question I have.

Why does the Government get to decide when and if to suspend the rights of its citizens. They don't have that power or at least they shouldn't have that power.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Look, the constitution was written over 200 years ago when people still rode horses and soldiers still carried swords. I seriously doubt our founding fathers could have imagined the efficient killing machines we are capable of making today.

How many people do you think the shooter in Orlando could have killed with a Brown Bess musket?

The bill of rights is written in a literal, yet vague enough way with the ability to be changed as the times change.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

a woman that is raped can't decide? "hmmm,do I want to raise a drug addicted rapist's kid while I'm 15 yrs old,or go on with my life?". Really?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
And as far as I'm concerned "sensible gun control" isn't about taking guns from people, or keeping normal, sane individuals from owning guns. It's about keeping guns out of the hands of people that clearly shouldn't own guns.

Until the gun mafucatures and retailers want to man up and tackle the issue of shipments of guns being stolen or sold to criminals out the back door -- the black market will continue to thrive.

And no...most illegal guns are not simply stolen out of people's homes and cars:

ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said.

Frontline

Somehow between the factory and gun shop -- or through shady/law-breaking gun shops -- these guns end up on the black market.

Until Winchester, Remington ect. decide to take some responsibility on making sure their products are only sold by reputable, legal dealers who don't sell to criminals (and arrest/shut down gun dealers who sell to criminals) -- all we can really do is just make sure that obviously deranged, sick, and mentally ill people can't get guns.

That, to me, doesn't sound like it's "taking" any rights from anyone.

In fact, it's ensuring my right to life. My right to not be shot by some crazy person who shouldn't have been able to buy a gun.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Look, the constitution was written over 200 years ago when people still rode horses and soldiers still carried swords. I seriously doubt our founding fathers could have imagined the efficient killing machines we are capable of making today.

How many people do you think the shooter in Orlando could have killed with a Brown Bess musket?

The bill of rights is written in a literal, yet vague enough way with the ability to be changed as the times change.

Maybe they could imagine. Wouldn't want a tyrannical government getting to big to be of, for and by.

edit on 16-6-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The 2nd amendment is not about freedom. It's about the right for free men to arm themselves and form militias to defend the people of this country. Using those arms to harm the people of this country is an automatic forfeiture of that right because you have proven to be a liability to the safety of the people of this country.

Do you see your own hypocrisy between your first and second sentence?
For your perusal:
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

For them to use their imaginations and see what America is like today would be like us trying to imagine what an alien world looks like. We've exponentially leap-frogged in advancement.

Up until the last 100 or so years, progress was steady and incremental. We've been advancing faster and faster like a rock rolling down hill.

I'm sure they figured firearms were the future, and that they'd be more accurate and perhaps have greater range. I don't, however, think they could ever conceive of a nation of 300 million people able to own guns that can shoot 30 high-velocity bullets as fast as they can pull a trigger.

If you took our founders and brought them to 2016, and took them to a gun store and had them stand there while you bought an assault rifle and several 30 round magazines, then went to a gun range...

Can you honestly say that they wouldn't be dumbfounded that hundreds of millions of people can acquire such an efficient killing machine in less than an hour? Just a half dozen AR-15s could have turned entire battles in the Revolutionary War.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

'Sensible Gun Control' is the first step to removing our rights.

There are no 'sensible gun control' laws that would have prevented Orlando.

That is the point.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I don't want to give to much credit but I believe the 2nd was intended to keep civilians in step with military weaponry for the sole purpose of taking back a rogue nation. Just my 2cp

I also disagree with the downhill comment...well half disagree. While society degenerates into ..something.gg? Medical advancement and technology is kicking at an alarming rate. Far faster than we can keep people trained to operate.

So they wouldn't really have to imagine the future, but keep in mind what would keep the common man from being blown off the map or conquered.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Can you honestly say that they wouldn't be dumbfounded that hundreds of millions of people can acquire such an efficient killing machine in less than an hour? Just a half dozen AR-15s could have turned entire battles in the Revolutionary War.

They would be more dumbfounded over the huge Federal Government, the loss of individual liberty and that people like you were actively TRYING to remove the rights of their fellow citizens.

It is literally tragic.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

And when you showed them the rest of the world and how there are all these other countries?

And then ask them, "So...do you honestly think America would be able to stay independent and free unless it had a strong central government?"

You do realize the world is larger than America, right? There are like...other countries like Russia & China with massive armies and governments.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

You know, if I had a time machine I honestly would offer to send you back in time to the 1780's free of charge!

Of course, then the Mandela Effect people would swarm me and blame me for altering the timeline

Sometimes, you just can't win.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

We aren't 'free and independent' because of the Government we have now.

We are slaves to our own Government.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I would probably like to go back in time.

I don't know what time I would pick, but it wouldn't be now.

Thanks for the offer.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Theres always going to be a need for some rules, keeping those who cannot comprehend both the right and its responsibilities due to mental illness away from guns and anything sharper than a tea spoon is probably a good idea in the same way as we don't allow blind people to drive along the public road system for the most obvious and very lethal reason in that they cannot see where their actions will take them.

The average guy/gal/whatever assuming they are not nuttier than squirrel poop and with no reason to have a restriction like they shot up and killed 4 bank workers etc probably should be allowed what they want, but would you fancy a drunk guy with a few megaton nuke going "hold my beer as this is gonna be the best 4th July ever" 5 mins away from your house?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think both issues are important at the end of the day. On both sides you have idiots killing people because they are are ignorant and cowards.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I don't know if they still can do it, but the courts in NY used to have the power to force abortion onto the mentally ill.
if they still can, then that answers your question... it's just not the answer you would want.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

and you don't think that the founders saw a need for everyone to own a rifle for hunting purposes? really?

every american citizen should have the right to hunt their own food... with a gun.... the idea that some shouldn't have that gun to hunt for their food would have been unthinkable to them I believe.
after all, they didn't have corner stores selling every imaginable food known to mankind!
and the time may come in the future when something happens and we fail to enable those stores to be stocked....

how many of these mass shooters have used your basic hunting rifle as opposed to the semi's??
maybe we should be having different restrictions according to the different types of weapons?
and, I have to tell yas all something here...
those of yous who are proclaiming your right to own weapons for the sake of fighting the tyrannical gov't it seems would be some of the first ones to be put on those lists!!! especially if you're also going around making post after post about the gov't's tyrannical policies....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join