It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New published study concludes: Yes, There Have Been Aliens!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Fascinating read on some recent juggling of the all-too-familiar “Drake’s Equation” - which yields surprising results – even to the researchers!

What has changed? The problem with the good ‘ole Drake’s equation, as we know, is that it leaves too many variables up to unknown quantities that are as yet impossible to discern - and subject to such wide interpretation to make the equation practically worthless (however intriguing the "thought experiments" it leads us to).

Recent advances in astrobiology have permitted researchers to now put actual KNOWN quantities in place of some of the variables proposed by our esteemed Dr. Frank Drake. Along with some manipulations of the equation itself, the result is that it is of near certainty (close to a probability of one), that aliens have been present in the known universe (and are perhaps a regular, if short-lived, occurrence).

The New York Times has an intriguing synopsis by one of the researchers involved with the study:
Yes, There Have Been Aliens

For those that want to examine all of the nuts and bolts of this research, the full scholarly paper is available for download, here.

From what I gather, the scholars have surmised (and, I'm beginning to lean in their direction), that the biggest unknown is whether an advanced civilization [post-tecnhology] can last beyond a few hundred or a few thousand years without self-annihilation. Are we all destined to wipe ourselves out with our own greed, malevolence, selfishness, or inability to control or contain the powers that we ourselves create?

Finally, just as a side note, after reading this paper, I looked up one of my favorite tomes to make some comparisons: the correlations between the two are quite intriguing. For a wonderful earlier look at this interesting postulation, you may want to check out “Probability One”, by Amir Aczel, available for ONE CENT on Amazon. Worth adding to your reading list if you’re into this stuff…

Happy Trails, My friends – and keep looking up!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The recently taken Newer Hubble Deep Field kind of alters Drakes equation, too. We can see that galaxies go as far as we can see in every direction. I'd be a fool to think the Universe isn't infinite, or had basically forever for life to spread literally everywhere…

Hubble sees a Legion of Galaxies
edit on 15-6-2016 by intrptr because: link

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Very interesting, and a nicely done thread.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Which version of the Drake's equation is this ? Seems as if everyone has their own versions today. I ran into (figuratively speaking) one the other day that stated intelligent life in this universe is basically impossible . All it takes is to add or subtract different hypothetical conditions.
And the equation itself leaves too much for conjecture . I could place any number of variables into that equation on what "I think" based on probability and statistics.
But S&F for the scholarly link. Downloading this one and checking it out.
We may never know.

edit on 6/15/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/15/16 by Gothmog because: rev 1 and spelling

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It's good to read the title of this thread in the way/voice that 'Kent Brockman' would read it.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What is "Post-Technology"? When would the starting point of technology be assessed? I think we've gone a bit beyond hundreds, and a few thousand years, but I also don't see a reason why advanced life would have to inevitably annihilate itself.

I think as long as a dominant species has enough resources, and keeps seeking out new territories to explore, it's got a good chance of surviving catastrophic events. Basically, the two are related, as long as we keep exploring new territories, we're bound to find enough resources to keep the journey going.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Didn't the Pope mention something about last Xmas being the very last one?

hm and isn't there a thread here about NASA having done a 3 yr. study to see how Xians would react to an Alien threat? (as to which aliens, space or jihad, is debatable).

They're definately preparing us for the manufactured alien invasion.

edit on 6/15/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
LOL I have just mastered 5000ths of an inch to make slots in steel on a manual mill.

I don't think you can tell me how this is obtained.

That being said you are going to tell me that aliens exist on a hypothetical equation and you understand the math behind it?

Could you also explain the complex nature of finding the center on a cambered engine block to create a port for a piston in a general way?

Outside of a google quip can you yes or no a confidence in an absolute yes of life or an absolute no of life in the whole universe based on Drakes equation?
I do understand likely hood of life in other places across the universe but apparently in our known spectrum of technology I am lead to believe it is nil.
I also believe in hyper dimension or extra dimension influence with out regard to whom or why. Galactic travel seems to cumbersome for known metals and plastic. Also electronics and distance between computational wireless devices through certain radiation fields and problems.
If aliens came, they would be in the forms of probes and machines, an advanced space fairing race would not send an uninterpreted machine our way if they had the ability to launch things into space. Our traveling machines from the 70s carry an interpretive message to life elsewhere who we are, If there was any thing like us out there they would probably do the same and they have not so far.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Didn't the Pope mention something about last Xmas being the very last one?

hm and isn't there a thread here about NASA having done a 3 yr. study to see how Xians would react to an Alien threat? (as to which aliens, space or jihad, is debatable).

They're definately preparing us for the manufactured alien invasion.

This Pope is likely the False Prophet. Obama may very well be the AntiChrist. He is behaving like it so far/
The scriptures talk of many types of aliens, some that look human and many that do not

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
This Pope is likely the False Prophet. Obama may very well be the AntiChrist. He is behaving like it so far/
The scriptures talk of many types of aliens, some that look human and many that do not

Right, i must have missed those gospels in Sunday School and Bible Class,.can you quote some passages please?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Right, i must have missed those gospels in Sunday School and Bible Class,.can you quote some passages please?

Is this Todd??????

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Outrageo

Wonderful, thanks for sharing!

What would you say, if you'd have to estimate, is the probability the unknown dark matter (27%) also has potential to contain alien life, if we (5%), almost certainly do?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

There's a great show called The Wow! Signal podcast. It has a partner podcast called the Unseen Podcast. They did a show on Drake's Equation that you'll probably enjoy - I found it fascinating.

Exoplanets and the Drake Equation

I'll read the paper later today. Thanks for posting it because I collect papers on this topic.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Personally,

I like reigning Dean of Ufology Stanton Friedman's vigorous shredding of the Drake equation as an absurd exercise in irrational silliness.

imho, it is a brazen exercise in FAITH . . . more or less FAITH in the Religion of Scientism

WITHOUT any reasonably solid EVIDENCE.

Putting the new exoplanet stuff into the equation doesn't really solve anything.

There are still far toooooo many VERY UNproven components of the equation.

For one, we still do NOT know WHAT is on, if anything living, ANY of the "discovered" exoplanets.

We are left with fantasy on top of extrapolation on top of extrapolation on top of fantasy.

I don't personally find that impressive.

edit on 16/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Well this should really make your day, more organic precursor molecules found floating in space.

Discovery of the interstellar chiral molecule propylene oxide (CH3CHCH2O)

Life on Earth relies on chiral molecules—that is, species not superimposable on their mirror images. This manifests itself in the selection of a single molecular handedness, or homochirality, across the biosphere. We present the astronomical detection of a chiral molecule, propylene oxide (CH3CHCH2O), in absorption toward the Galactic center. Propylene oxide is detected in the gas phase in a cold, extended molecular shell around the embedded, massive protostellar clusters in the Sagittarius B2 star-forming region. This material is representative of the earliest stage of solar system evolution in which a chiral molecule has been found.

science.sciencemag.org...

Cool stuff & so much more interesting than (herpdederp gawd did it).

K~

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

I've NEVER

found God Yehovah the least bit boring, myself.

Irrational faith-based Religion of Scientism fantasies can rapidly become boring.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Personally, I see it as an excellent example of human ingenuity in the face of the unknown. Rather than say, "The universe is too big for us to comprehend," some scientists have made the attempt to break it down into terms we can make sense of. It's all about being instrumental in seeking knowledge instead of waiting for someone, or something, to gift it to us.

I'm not sure why you're using 'faith' as a pejorative in your post when it's a term by which you define your whole outlook on life and existence.

Stan Friedman is a good guy, but he would have to oppose the Drake Equation for his 'prison planet' thesis to stand. That doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong; it raises the spectre of ulterior motives for choosing to disagree with the basic function of the equation.

It seems irrational that anyone can quibble over the factors of the equation although reasonable to debate/discuss the values we attribute to them.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I've NEVER found God Yehovah the least bit boring, myself. Irrational faith-based Religion of Scientism fantasies can rapidly become boring.

Fascinating. Truly fascinating.

K~

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
The recently taken Newer Hubble Deep Field kind of alters Drakes equation, too. We can see that galaxies go as far as we can see in every direction. I'd be a fool to think the Universe isn't infinite, or had basically forever for life to spread literally everywhere…

Hubble sees a Legion of Galaxies

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could focus on a small dark patch of the Deep Field photo you linked to and find that it too contains thousands of even more distant galaxies! (I'd then start to think that we're in a mirrored hologram, or something.)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

If the paper is making a leap from ET life to advanced civilisation then that is frankly just making things up. Drakes equation is about ET life, end of, not what kind of ET life and if it would be of a type that would be in a position to build into what we would term an advanced civilisation.

Having said that, a termite or ant colony is arguably representative of a civilisation, so who knows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join