It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Turmeric--Nature's Powerhouse...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
wake up world: It's time to rise and shine

15 June 2016

By Katrin Geist
Guest writer for Wake Up World

wakeup-world.com...

[some reparagraphing super long paragraphs; some emphases added]
If there has ever been one plant that “does it all”, turmeric (Curcuma longa), seems the perfect candidate. Its many health benefits and applications fill entire libraries: a search for “turmeric” on Web of Science returned 6.681 hits, and a search for “curcumin”, turmeric’s best known constituent, yielded a whopping 28.122 papers. At point of writing, the Cochrane Library holds 94 publications of controlled clinical trials involving turmeric: whoever says that knowledge of its health benefits is ficticious or anecdotal at best, has accomplished a high degree of ignorance.
Even more so since turmeric has been used for culinary and medicinal purposes in Asia for over 6000 years (Hutchins-Wolfbrandt & Mistry 2011) – Western science today only confirms what people have naturally known and practiced for millennia (Goel et al. 2008). In the past two decades, turmeric and curcumin have been extensively studied for their therapeutic benefits as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, cardioprotective, renoprotective, immunomodulatory, cancer chemopreventive, antidepressant, and neuroprotective agent (Pakfetrat et al. 2014, Chuengsamarn et al. 2012).
What’s In It?
Turmeric belongs to the ginger plant family and is native to southwest India. It contains c. 4-5% curcumin, a polyphenol and strong antioxidant which gives it its bright yellow color. Other turmeric constituents include iron, manganese, potassium, vitamins C & B6, and omega 3 & 6 fatty acids – just to name a few of over 300 compounds identified from this plant (Ravindran et al. 2009, Gupta et al. 2013). Out of all these, curcumin received most investigative attention by far.
. . .
Turmeric’s Many Talents ~ an Overview
[18 items listed--among them that it selectively kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue]
. . .
Curcumin Mechanisms of Action & Effects
Cancer undergoes three major stages of development: tumor formation, growth, and spread. Often, drugs target any one of these stages. Curcumin, however, can interfere with all three – one reason why some deem it as little prone to resistance development by tumors: curcumin can always take another route (see Ravindran et al. 2009). In animal models, curcumin induced cell death (apoptosis & autophagy) in cancer cells and also inhibited tumor growth, invasion, and in vivo metastasis (Ravindran et al. 2009, Gupta et al. 2013). In vivo animal studies also clearly suggest curcumin’s anticancer potential when administered either alone or in combination with currently employed chemotherapeutic agents or radiation (Goel et al. 2008). This wealth of positive results in animals spurred a host of human studies, including dozens of clinical trials.
Curcumin blocks the expression of growth and metastasis promoting genes (Goel et al. 2008) and so inhibits angiogenesis (connecting the tumor to blood vessels) – a process crucial to tumor growth and spread. It also sensitizes cancer cells to conventional treatment methods (chemotherapy and radiation) (Hutchins-Wolfbrandt & Mistry 2011). One paper reported supplementation with eight grams curcumin per day in combination with the drug gemcitabine as safe and well tolerated in pancreatic cancer patients (Gupta et al. 2013), as were up to two grams curcumin daily in a phase I clinical trial that combined FOLFOX chemotherapy with curcumin (James et al. 2015). Curcumin by itself also gave significantly improved results when tested on patient-derived colorectal liver metastase cells and performed better than FOLFOX and 5-FU (another cancer drug) in some patients (their isolated cells in culture) (James et al. 2015).
. . .

This is one of the more complete articles about Turmeric that I've seen.
I think it's well worth folks time and thoughtful consideration.
It has clearly been helpful in my close friend's self-treated recovery from her 2nd bout of cancer in about 30 years. It was not the only thing she used, however.
I'm currently trying to figure out how to grow it in my Sonroom.
It's usefulness in helping prevent, retard Alzheimer's is particularly important to those of my age.
And, it may help deal with the horrid effects of fluoride.
It may also have some impact on depression.
Anyway--worth a read, imho.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

It has clearly been helpful in my close friend's self-treated recovery from her 2nd bout of cancer in about 30 years. It was not the only thing she used, however.

So, you have no idea if the turmeric had any effect at all, yet you claim that it did.

I cant stand people giving false info and false hope for cancer. makes my blood boil tbh.

How do you know it "clearly" had an effect? And dont skimp on the details, you know the dosages, the data, the blood tests etc...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I try to save most of my responses for folks who demonstrate a shred of interest in fair-minded dialogue.

I trust my friend's assessments.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I try to save most of my responses for folks who demonstrate a shred of interest in fair-minded dialogue.

I trust my friend's assessments.

Got it. You and your friend have no idea.

Your answer says it all. Thank you.

edit on 15-6-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Folks, there are enough quality scientific studies done on Turmeric . . . you don't have to be at the mercy of those unwilling to see the benefits. Check the data out.

As history has proven . . . science CAN be the last to admit truth.

Thankfully, in this case, there's plenty of science on the side of the effectiveness of turmeric to help a long list of health issues.

Cheers to that!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Folks, there are enough quality scientific studies done on Turmeric . . . you don't have to be at the mercy of those unwilling to see the benefits. Check the data out.

As history has proven . . . science CAN be the last to admit truth.

Thankfully, in this case, there's plenty of science on the side of the effectiveness of turmeric to help a long list of health issues.

Cheers to that!

Having beneficial health effects is one thing. Claiming that it was "clearly" responsible for helping to cure cancer is another. With no proof other than "i trust my friend"

edit on 15-6-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You pay tax for free energy.....WTF!!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidCovKid
You pay tax for free energy.....WTF!!

You posted in the wrong topic methinks there buddy

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Sorry about that lmao!! My phone is lagging and on the fritz....again apologies lol can honestly say thats never happened to me before

And sorry OP, this was unintentional i swear.

Good thread btw, ive used turmeric and other spices most days and add it to most meals (if i can) as i beleive spices ward off many ills and like you've stated many health benedits

edit on 15 6 2016 by ParanoidCovKid because: Adding more to the conversation

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Hey I'll star and flag ya, I'll take any excuse to have a curry hehe

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I guess one question re: cancer benefits of turmeric is whether India has lower numbers of cases. I'm in bed now otherwise I would look..

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
I guess one question re: cancer benefits of turmeric is whether India has lower numbers of cases. I'm in bed now otherwise I would look..

Even if there were only a placebo effect is that such a bad thing?....no where do I see it stated as cure ...all it seems have is many health benefits including helping chemo treatments...

Personally if I were ill I would be looking into and trying everything that was at my disposal......

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Even if there were only a placebo effect is that such a bad thing?....no where do I see it stated as cure ...all it seems have is many health benefits including helping chemo treatments...

Personally if I were ill I would be looking into and trying everything that was at my disposal......

God forbid you try to save your own life outside the box! These threads attract these guys faster than flies on....

Oh yeah, great thread Bo. Turmeric is awesome.
edit on 15-6-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yup. I think that's a rational approach.

I just know too many folks who've taken the alternative track to great success.

And with a lot less grief.

Even standard scientific studies seem to indicate that AS A WHOLE, chemeo is more deadly, sooner, than non-treatment. That seems quite illogical to me. I forget which thread on ATS asserted that.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

THANKS BIG.

Yeah, you noticed the same phenomenon. One might think that they could live and let live . . . or state their opinions in reasonable tones and move on. But nooooooooooooo . . . there's all this emotionally hostile diatribe and arrogance to fling far and wide in the process. Underwhelming.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

THANKS BIG.

Yeah, you noticed the same phenomenon. One might think that they could live and let live . . . or state their opinions in reasonable tones and move on. But nooooooooooooo . . . there's all this emotionally hostile diatribe and arrogance to fling far and wide in the process. Underwhelming.

They're like a pack of wolves. I've dealt with them too. They sure are passionate about making sure there are no alternatives to cancer treatment other than the big 3 (chemo, radiation and surgery).

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

INDEED.

They almost act like their gonads are at risk if they don't sound rabid enough. LOL.

Do you recall about India? IIRC, they DO have a much lower incidence of at least several types of cancer. Guess I'll have to dogpile.com it.

Thanks for your kind replies.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I like mustard on my sandwiches and Chow Chow. I have to start making chow chow. We usually buy a couple of bottles of it at the farmers market.

There are a lot of ways to stop cancer. Strangely, society here in the US has tossed out these old ways because people feel rich and buy only the best of everything.

Some people might not be able to tolerate too much tumeric. I can eat it all right but not a real lot. I can't eat a real lot of ginger either.
edit on 15-6-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks.

Do you have any markers or correlates of inability to tolerate a lot of Turmeric.

I just learned with this article that Turmeric is in the ginger family.

The ginger flowers really freak my allergy responses out. LOL.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND . . . such studies do not likely take into account any growing westernization of diet in India.

And, how much turmeric does the diet in India actually include compared to doses designed to treat cancer? I haven't found any information on that issue.

I forget which commentary this link goes with. LOL:
onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Here's some links about cancer in India:

www.breastcancerindia.net...

It seems to me that the PER CAPITA incidence is a lot less, if I'm reading those stats right.

= = =
If I'm reading this one right--the lower chart--India shows about 1/3 to 1/2 the incidence etc. of cancers and death from them that the USA shows per 100,000 population.
And in a lower bar chart with green and orange parts of the bar . . . North America (91.6 & 14.8--incidence to mortality) is much worse off than South-Central Asia (28.2 & 13.5)
And Figure 5 with the bar chart with blue and pink portions . . . Northern America (30.1 & 22.7 [incidence/mortality]) vs South-Central Asia (7.0 & 5.2) for colorectal cancer. That's a pretty big difference.
And with Figure 6 Northern America 44.0/33.8 incidence/mortality vs South Central Asia 11.9/3.4 . . . another big difference in terms of lung cancer.
For figure 7 prostate cancer: Northern America 97.2/9.8 incidence/mortality & South Central Asia 4.5/2.9 A very big difference.
Figure 8 stomach cancer: Northern America 5.5/2.7 incidence/mortality vs South-Central Asia 9.2/4.2--the only one so far where Northern America is better off.
I can't read the graph for Figure 9 nor any of the ones following it.
= = =

This pdf is about "Cancer Risk and Diet in India" by Sinha R Anderson DE & McDonald SS & Greenwald P

www.scgcorp.com/pdf/scg_written_11.pdf

Abstract:
. . .
Of particular interest for cancer prevention is the role of turmeric (curcumin), an ingredient in common Indian curry spice. Researchers have also investigated cumin, chilies, kalakhar, Amrita Bindu, and various plant seeds for their apparent cancer preventive properties. . . . there is an increasing need to develop cancer prevention programs responsive to the unique diets and cultural practices of the people of India.

Table 1: Comparison of cancer rates in India and the United States

Cancer rates, all sites except skin: India Males 99.0; Females 104.4; USA males 361.4; females 283.2

Cervical and liver cancers may be worse in India. Otherwise, the USA IS SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE on a list of cancers, if I'm reading the chart accurately.
= = =

= = =

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join