It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada Penalizes Solar Energy Users With Hefty 40% Tax Increase

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's a damn good thing Nevada is surrounded by 6 states. Purchase in other states I guess.

Wasn't Obama there in 2012 and 2015 to push solar power? It's a complete hypocrisy to push energy conservation and green/clean/solar/renewable energy while making it near impossible to afford those efforts. Nevada citizens should unite and get some laws passed that favor the consumers and also push the green agenda.

I remember after mobile phones started getting really popular, some land line phone companies actually tried to either keep their rates high or even raise rates. Dumb a$$es. They now have to beg for customers, diversify into other markets etc. It's just a matter of time before we reach the tipping point where green energy's attraction and affordability will win. Meanwhile, they'll continue to rip off the green energy trail blazers.

www.nvenergy.com...
edit on 15-6-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We know the rest of the money is going to the military. Expect an increase of armoured vehicles(APC and tanks included), ships, and heli's.
edit on 15-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I consider taxes of anything above 10% to be nothing short of serfdom. Also, its criminal to attack citizens for adding to the electrical grid with renewable energy.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I.. I'm at a loss for words.. Cannot believe they would actually stoop to such a criminal maneuver. I hope the citizens of NV march on the capitol-- this is completely reprehensible. Guess I can cross Nevada off as a state to permanently avoid!

Wow! check this out (bolding mine):

More startlingly, the commission made its decision retroactive. That means that the 17,000 Nevada residents who were lured into solar purchases by state-mandated one-time rebates of up to $23,000 suddenly discovered that they were victims of a bait-and-switch. They made the deals assuming that, allowing for inflation, their rates would stay constant over their contracts’ 20- to 30-year lifetimes; instead, they face the prospect of paying much more for electricity than if they had never made the change, even though they’re generating almost all their electricity themselves.
NV Energy should be banned!

[ETA: further in the article it states they would not 'insist' on the retroactive provision.. ]
edit on 15-6-2016 by Starcrossd because: added link

edit on 15-6-2016 by Starcrossd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What's next?

street/road/trail use access tax for bicyclists?

OHVrs know what I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

Nothing in life is discounted now?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

It's the State government that's adding these taxes, not the federal government. So Pres Obama isn't to blame for this. The Nevada state legislature is controlled by Repubs. So if anything, they're going against Pres Obama's efforts that you mentioned.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Our government is corrupted from the very bottom to the very top and all across the nation. It is despicable.

Yup and a good many people seem to want a businessman into the white house to make things better ....oh the irony

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

My post wasn't a strike against Obama, it was a "hey, this state is NOT encouraging people to follow the POTUS lead.

a reply to: Starcrossd That's insane! People should be up in arms about this. I'm at a loss for words really, that a state would do this. BTW, Nevada. NV Energy, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company.

So people get a ripping from the state and the energy companies. A double whammy which needs some serious put down.
edit on 16-6-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

No

it's

about

Buffett

I live in Nevada, I'm kinda familiar with this subject, thanks for playing the ASSumption game though.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

According to him, he did it for the rest of the people there who don't use solar.
Apparently, it was costing more money to get the excess solar power from consumers than it was worth to the utility company, thus increasing prices on the rest of the non solar customers.
He claimed that buying the energy back from consumers was over twice as expensive as producing it himself.
In the article that I read though, this apparently hurt that Solar City company, mentioned above pretty bad.
Either way, solar users should find a way to store their extra energy themselves, if they can.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
US government support of green energy companies is 100% purely a money laundering scheme. Govt gives them millions, a year or two later they go bankrupt and keep the cash.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

It's a move to kill solar city, most people in Nevada that have solar have it through them. They have a great model, they provide all the equipment and maintenance, you get a lower energy bill. It does come with the price of a 20-year contract, but if our legislators weren't bought and paid for these things wouldn't happen. NV Energy is literally strong-arming people into overpaying for power.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

How is it an "assumption" when ALEC and the Koch brothers have been pushing this very thing at the state level since at least 2014? And guess what? The Nevada State legislature is controlled by Republicans. Nevada's Governor is also a Republican. And these new taxes are at the State level and are being pushed by a state agency. But you can't even own up to the fact that it's the Republicans in the state that are pushing this crap.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

According to the article, it did kill solar city. They claimed 600 or so jobs were lost.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Hell, I think in Denver (or a surrounding area), it's ILLEGAL to collect rain water on your own property.

It's getting pretty stupid out there in the "real" world.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is the crap that should motivate massive civil disobedience. It's blatantly clear it's all about greed and control.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Good, Northern Nevada has something better than solar anyways, they have quite a bit of geothermal in use which is something that could use way more support than it gets.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Its pretty easy to get a license to install solar panels ( at least it was) I was licensed in NV back in 09. Pretty sure it was a free test, OSHA. Can't remember where I went to take it, but was on the vegas bus route.

You have to know a bit about it though, If interested I might be able to find my license and see if any info on it.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

That still has nothing to do with Nevada in general. This topic and thread is about Nevada's fight for solar. Warren Buffett is the one dogging this fight, not the Kock bros.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join